🏆National Championship 🏆

Stoney

National Championship   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alabama
    • Ohio State

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Seriously. Mac Jones is good, but he stood in a huge pocket and threw the ball to athletic freaks all game. I don't think he's all that special of a player. 

Agreed. 

But I'm also going to be destroyed for saying this, but the same can be said for Smith. Watching smith last night I only saw 1 play that made me thing wow that was a heisman play. Specifically the three TDs were scheme alone. Literally EVERY wr from both teams would have scored on those 3 plays. And that's been the story for him all season. Sark has been a magician at getting the ball with no one around him. And its not because he's just some next level route runner. They are just amazingly well set up and schemed plays. 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I disagree. I think the scheme works BECAUSE of players like Smith. Or at the very least they help one another out. 

I think this is accurate. The scheme from the play caller assists the players and the players make the OC look good.

When Sarkisian gets to Texas the UT offense will not automatically be Alabama and whomever thinks it will be needs have some sense slapped into them.

The skill positions at Alabama are top notch, but what makes that offense go is their OL and UT’s OL is nowhere near the Bama OL not even close. So, I’d bet the UT offense will improve from 2020 to 2021, especially by the end of the season and maybe even enough so that Texas can actually separate from teams and not have to try to win five games in OT (ridiculous Herman....), but not enough that they easily win the Big 12 and look like Alabama West. 

Aren't you guys sort of proving my point though? This offense doesn't go because smith just dominates everyone and carries the team.. The offense looks good because its got first rounders at 2/3 wr spots, a first rd qb, probably 2 first round oline and 2 others that will be drafted high... The scheme works because its loaded. Every player looks good because every player has an equally dangerous player playing opposite him taking away from scheming one guy. I'm agreeing with you guys that players make the scheme. What I'm saying is that because of the scheme and others around him it made smith look like the best player alive last night. Hell he's not even the best player on his own offense IMO lol. 

I think we’re definitely in agreement that Smith is made better, because of all the other studs in the other positions. 
I think the scheme is awesome and I think their players are too. It’s just an all around beautiful thing to watch. That beatdown made me think I was at AT&T watching Carthage play! 😃😁😎

20 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Aren't you guys sort of proving my point though? This offense doesn't go because smith just dominates everyone and carries the team.. The offense looks good because its got first rounders at 2/3 wr spots, a first rd qb, probably 2 first round oline and 2 others that will be drafted high... The scheme works because its loaded. Every player looks good because every player has an equally dangerous player playing opposite him taking away from scheming one guy. I'm agreeing with you guys that players make the scheme. What I'm saying is that because of the scheme and others around him it made smith look like the best player alive last night. Hell he's not even the best player on his own offense IMO lol. 

This supports my previous argument about having Waddle out, Smith stepping up, and then the next man in line taking over, etc. that seemed to put some people off.

57 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean Smith was playing before that too. Waddle + Smith > Smith 

No.  The point being is that whichever 2 or 3 WR's that Alabama rolls out there with, it does not matter because as of right now they collectively are all heads and shoulders above the rest in CFB.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean Smith was playing before that too. Waddle + Smith > Smith 

Yet look how much better the Cleveland Browns are playing without Odell Beckham. Common sense will tell us that it is better to have more talent than less at WR, but that position alone can make things difficult for offenses to thrive due to QBs forcing balls to WRs they thing they should throw it to instead of what their read tells them. I'm not talking about not having great talent, but maybe... just maybe Devonta Smith, John Metchie, and the #4 WR is better for the offense than those two and Jaylen Waddle. It's hard to make three studs happy. An analogy could be taking our best college basketball talent in the US and losing to international teams that have team chemistry. Our starting 5 is certainly better overall, but not better as a team.

PS - as a coach, I'd still want all three on the field. I'm just playing a little Devil's Advocate. 

43 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

No.  The point being is that whichever 2 or 3 WR's that Alabama rolls out there with, it does not matter because as of right now they collectively are all heads and shoulders above the rest in CFB.

Thats a poor take... No. There are not just infinite Jaylon Waddles all over bamas roster. If they were they would be beating out meachie. If there were you wouldn't see a 75% waddle getting meaningful snaps in a title game. Don't let stars fool you. Not ever stud they recruit pans out. And waddle is a superstar not just a quality guy. 

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Thats a poor take... No. There are not just infinite Jaylon Waddles all over bamas roster. If they were they would be beating out meachie. If there were you wouldn't see a 75% waddle getting meaningful snaps in a title game. Don't let stars fool you. Not ever stud they recruit pans out. And waddle is a superstar not just a quality guy. 

Saban said that Waddle played more than what they intended for him to play, particularly in the 3Q, due to the injuries of Smith and Metchie.  They knew that he was not 100% and specifically designed plays where he would not have to do much lateral movement.  It was clear to the world that he would not be an impact in the game with him limping around out there.

IMO Waddle wanted to play and they let him.

9 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Saban said that Waddle played more than what they intended for him to play, particularly in the 3Q, due to the injuries of Smith and Metchie.  They knew that he was not 100% and specifically designed plays where he would not have to do much lateral movement.  It was clear to the world that he would not be an impact in the game with him limping around out there.

IMO Waddle wanted to play and they let him

so... Is it plug and play or not? Couldn't they have just sat all 3 and been just as well off? I mean next man up is what you keep saying. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

so... Is it plug and play or not? Couldn't they have just sat all 3 and been just as well off? I mean next man up is what you keep saying. 

Smith basically said, "next man up", in his post-game interview.  He would know more about it than me since he sees these guys at practice.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Ok old TRUEBLUE hasn’t got on here to crow about last night’s game just yet, because I think the performance by BAMA pretty much speaks for itself. It doesn’t appear that there is just a whole lot of separation between Notre Dame, A&M, Clemson and Ohio State. I think any one of those teams could beat one another on any given night. As far as BAMA’s depth at WR, we did not have a plug and play replacement for Waddle or Smith. Both of those guys are generational talents. I think the situation last night backs up what I’ve been saying on the A&M thread: if the Aggies are going to get over the hump and win the west in the next three years, they need to do it in 2021. John Metchie, Slade Bolden, Jahleel Billingsley, and Xavier Williams are all outstanding receivers. None of them are Waddle or Smith. When Smith was a freshman, we saw him, Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy take starting positions away from a group of guys that had been playing for 3 years. Williams is the only freshman to see any snaps at all this year, and most of his were in garbage time. I can see some of the incoming freshmen getting meaningful snaps next year, but they will come with growing pains. Add in a new offensive staff, new starters at QB, RB and 3 OL spots and you have to figure on a learning curve. That said, ROLL TIDE!!! 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

36 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So their 4th string would've won the Heisman, huh? No drop off one player to the next, after all...

Did Alabama miss Waddle this year?  They ran the table with record offensive numbers and their number 2 WR won the Heisman.  Is that consistent or even repeatable once?  Probably not but the reality of the situation is that Alabama is deep and the potential for another Heisman candidate is on campus due to the high level of recruits in all positions and proper player development.  Being that their entire team is deep allows for some players to stand out more because of the overall success of the team.  Since 2009 (Saban era) Alabama has had at least 12 players receive Heisman votes with 3 wins.

7 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Did Alabama miss Waddle this year?  They ran the table with record offensive numbers and their number 2 WR won the Heisman.  Is that consistent or even repeatable once?  Probably not but the reality of the situation is that Alabama is deep and the potential for another Heisman candidate is on campus due to the high level of recruits in all positions and proper player development.  Being that their entire team is deep allows for some players to stand out more because of the overall success of the team.  Since 2009 (Saban era) Alabama has had at least 12 players receive Heisman votes with 3 wins.

1,3,5 in the Heisman voting all came from Bama.  

A lot of talk about the Bama wide receivers room, so I went ahead and looked up their last 5 recruiting classes...2017 and 2018 were special recruiting classes and it showed on the field. 2021 looks to be just as special, if not better...

Jacory Brooks (#34 Nationally - #2 WR)
Christian Leary (#68 Nationally - #9 WR)
JoJo Earle (#48 Nationally - #5 WR
Agiye Hall (#56 Nationally - #7 WR)

Thaiu Jones-Bell (#144 Nationally - #25 WR)
Javon Baker (#200 Nationally - #34 WR)
Traeshon Holden (#234 Nationally - #42 WR)

John Metchie (#240 Nationally - #40 WR)

Waddle (#31 Nationally - #5 WR)
Williams (#143 Nationally - #24 WR)

Juedy (#21 Nationally - #3 WR)
Smith (#62 Nationally - #9 WR)
Ruggs (#75 Nationally - #11 WR)
Shavers (#88 Nationally - #12 WR)