2017 Carthage - Best Bulldog Team Ever?

BevBrownJr

7 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Starters

10 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Starters

Tucker Smith started at RB a lot of games in 2018.   
Morgan was really good and started a lot of games, but he did not start every game for 3 years. 

16 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I think Courtney had over 700 yards as a sophomore and remember Morgan playing a lot games. 

According to the 2019 edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football, Mason Courtney had 934 yards (don’t know if that also includes passing reception yards) and 12 TDs rushing going into his junior season.

I remember seeing him on the field after that one loss to Liberty Hill in the 2018 semifinal game as his parents tried to comfort him. I don’t think he had ever before played on the losing side in a football game representing a Carthage school...and he didn’t thereafter either.

• Like 1

Mario McCain OL/DL started 59 straight games for Carthage from 2010 - 2013. The team was 49-10 during his 4 years as a starter. For 3 years he started both ways playing pretty much every snap of every game from 2011 - 2013. Started on the OL at guard as a freshman in 2010. 

https://etsn.fm/carthage-senior-lineman-mario-mccain-concludes-iron-man-career-in-state-championship-vs-kilgore/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Mario McCain OL/DL started 59 straight games for Carthage from 2010 - 2013. The team was 49-10 during his 4 years as a starter. For 3 years he started both ways playing pretty much every snap of every game from 2011 - 2013. Started on the OL at guard as a freshman in 2010. 

https://etsn.fm/carthage-senior-lineman-mario-mccain-concludes-iron-man-career-in-state-championship-vs-kilgore/

Didn’t Mykel Gates start as a freshman also in 2014 as a FB?  Then moved the defense as a Soph.  2014-2017.  46-12?

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Didn’t Mykel Gates start as a freshman also in 2014 as a FB?  Then moved the defense as a Soph.  2014-2017.  46-12?

Yes. He played RB as a freshman for a couple games before getting hurt. But not the whole season. And then he played LB as a sophomore. He was definitely a contributor as a sophomore, but I don’t think he started every game. I can’t really remember. He really broke out as a junior. Carthage moved another freshman up in 2014 with Gates due to all the inquires, Hunter Townsend. He was a hell of a ball player. Was really good as a sophomore as well playing WR. I think he went back to Rusk after that and played baseball. 

McCain is the only one I can remember that was truly a “starter” on the varsity for a full season as a freshman for Carthage. 

14 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yes. He played RB as a freshman for a couple games before getting hurt. But not the whole season. And then he played LB as a sophomore. He was definitely a contributor as a sophomore, but I don’t think he started every game. I can’t really remember. He really broke out as a junior. Carthage moved another freshman up in 2014 with Gates due to all the inquires, Hunter Townsend. He was a hell of a ball player. Was really good as a sophomore as well playing WR. I think he went back to Rusk after that and played baseball. 

McCain is the only one I can remember that was truly a “starter” on the varsity for a full season as a freshman for Carthage. 

On Mykel Gates: Tevin Pipkin started three seasons at RB for CHS, leaving as the school’s career rushing leader as I recall. In the season opener against Hallsville in 2014, the first season after Pipkin’s graduation, freshman Mykel Gates seemed to me to be the most effective running back for CHS even though he didn’t start the game. I remember commenting to a friend that Gates would probably break Pipkin’s rushing record by the time his high school career ended four years later. (I hadn’t yet heard of Keaontay Ingram.)

On McCain’s starting 4 years: Ed Pope played as a freshman on the first state championship team in 2008.  Did he start at safety for at least part of that season?

On Townsend: He did play baseball at Rusk in the spring of 2015. The next fall, in his senior year, he transferred again - to Troup or Alto - and was the QB on the football team.  He played baseball at San Jac for at least one season...may have been drafted.