The Smoakhouse Forums

4 hours ago, Matt said:

It reminds of when the NCAA had their blackout and only allowed ABC to do one "Game of the Week" in the 1970s when I was growing up. Their reasoning was it would affect attendance of games. They could not have been more wrong! This is all changed in 1984 when the TV contracts started multiplying across the various conferences. Attendance actually went up. Again, I just think if the UIL came up with a reasonable $$ amount kickback to them, they would should allow these. @MattStepp, who would you recommend contacting at the UIL to lobby for this? I have talked to a couple of broadcast crews that stream their home games and all of us would like to lobby for that. Again, I know the playoffs are a different deal and congrats on getting those games. But we are local and we should have the right to let our fans see our games. But that's an argument to make with the UIL. Who would you suggest to contact?

The UIL is going to do the bidding of the schools, before this year a vast majority of the schools wanted the Friday night blackout in place. My suggestion would to be lobby with your local ISDs and for them to take it to the UIL Executive Council...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The UIL is going to do the bidding of the schools, before this year a vast majority of the schools wanted the Friday night blackout in place. My suggestion would to be lobby with your local ISDs and for them to take it to the UIL Executive Council...

That's the feel I get too. Most schools want the ban on Friday night.

22 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Thanks, Matt! 

IMHO.......when COVID is over..... I want the blackout back in place.

People need to have their fannies in the stands on Friday nights. 

Buying tickets, concessions, and booster booths, and general support of the community to the students is VITAL.

Fans in the stands create a cashflow to multiple groups without using school dollars when they attend games. 

Football, band, cheerleaders, drill team, and others all get a slice of the Friday night lights pie.

Let's pack the place every game.  That's how it should be ....... 

If a geoblock could be put in place to precent folks within a 100-mile radius etc from watching the game online I think more schools would be ok with lifting the ban...but there's also work arounds for that also