2021 NFL Pre-Draft Notes

My favorite time of the year behind the regular season, playoffs and fantasy football is draft season. Good news is Dallas’ draft needs are fairly obvious. Defense. Defense. Defense. Some depth at o-line and a skill position or two.

I'd like to know which pick the Cowboys are going to have.  The only thing I found was 6 hours ago, and based on it, it will be 11th.  The Cowboys have had two great picks at #11 with Michael Irvin and DeMarcus Ware who in my opinion should be a 1st ballot HOF member next year when he's eligible.  That could have changed since that website was published.  The sad thing is if the Cowboys would have lost out after Thanksgiving we would have been picking 3rd instead of Miami via Houston.  Dallas has never picked 3rd in their history.  

• 2 weeks later...

Cornerbacks-

Patrick Surtain II Alabama

Caleb Farley Virginia Tech

Jaycee Horn South Carolina

Tyson Campbell Georgia

Greg Newsome Northwestern 

Ifeatu Melifonwu Syracuse

Surtain and Farley are top 2 corners in the class but Jaycee Horn and Tyson Campbell could find their way into the 1st round. Tall, long with decent speed to play on the outside in a Cover 3 defense. Newsome could be a solid Day 2(2nd/3rd round) pick. Melifonwu is an intriguing prospect due to his measurables. If Dallas wanted to draft a corner to pair with Trevon Diggs right now these would be my guys.

Defensive tackles-

Christian Barmore Alabama

Levi Onwuzurike Washington 

Alim McNeill NC State

Bobby Brown Texas A&M

Barmore could be a 1st rounder. Onwuzurike, McNeill, Brown....day 2 picks (2nd/3rd rounders) who are capable of being 1T/3T at the next level. I’m not sure how much Dallas values the 1T, with Hill and Gallimore at 3T, this may be a position Dallas addresses later on Day 3(4th-7th rounds.)

Way Too Early Mock Draft #1- No Trade Edition, potential comp picks included 

1.10 Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern

2.42 Tyson Campbell CB Georgia

3.74 Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington

3.99 Carlos Basham DE Wake Forrest

4.113 Ar’Darius Washington S TCU

4.138 Ifeatu Melifonwu CB/S Syracuse

5.176 Garrett Wallow LB TCU

6.187 Jaelon Darden WR North Texas

6.221 Luke Farrell TE Ohio State

7.233 JaCoby Stevens DB/LB LSU

Worst case scenario happened and both Surtain II/Farley were gone before pick 10. Trading down was not option, so picking the best player was the best option.

Slater is a walk in Day 1 starter at LG. He will be the heir apparent to Tyron Smith at LT. It allows Connor Williams who has been average but not good to become the swing tackle. 

2nd round starts and one of the best of that second, third tier of corners falls to us. Tall, long in the mold of cover 3 corners under Dan Quinn. 

3rd round comes and value falls to Dallas. Onwuzurike is a capable of playing both 1T/3T. He slides into 1T giving Dallas a young interior of Gallimore, Hill, Onwuzurike and Woods. Carlos Basham could take over the Tyrone Crawford role. A big rush end who’s size can allow him to move inside to 3T. 

4th round Dallas is looking to fill out its secondary. Washington is a undersized safety who could be the single high safety in Quinn’s scheme. Melifonwu is a traits guy.  Another tall, long player who played safety and corner at Syracuse. Intriguing prospect if developed.

5th round pick Garrett Wallow could be the next in a line of Day 3 steal LBs. Good coverage skills, active in pursuit of the ball.

6th round and later you’re looking for traits. Darden is a small, undesized slot receiver who was a playmaker at UNT. Local kid who uses route running to maximize his talents. A project who could find himself a role with possible WR turnover in ‘22. Farrell could be the replacement for Blake Bell. Big bodied blocking TE with some ball skills. Guys like him with his skills won’t be stars but can be contributors.

7th round keeps on the traits hunt. Stevens is a big kid (6-2,225) who played safety at LSU. Potential nickel LB or a box safety.