Report: Eagles Had to Be ‘Held Back’ from Doug Pederson After Benching Jalen Hurts

15 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Don't blame them a bit. Draft position be damned, if you're not gonna try to win every game, you're poisoning your program. Want to move up in the draft? Trade-up. Wheel and deal. But don't tank. 

What's more: this kinda crap almost never works long-term. I don't know if it's karma or the football gods. But what goes around comes around.  I've seen it on every level of football. 

6 hours ago, LOL said:

Don't blame them a bit. Draft position be damned, if you're not gonna try to win every game, you're poisoning your program. Want to move up in the draft? Trade-up. Wheel and deal. But don't tank. 

What's more: this kinda crap almost never works long-term. I don't know if it's karma or the football gods. But what goes around comes around.  I've seen it on every level of football. 

Then don't complain about teams running up the score.  I wish the Cowboys would have tanked there was no sense in winning  against the Bengals, 49ers, and Eagles, and they would be picking 3rd or 4th depending on how the Texans did, but Miami gets their pick.  Now the Eagles have the 6th pick, and that will help them more than winning.  I think it was a sound coaching decision.  I just hope the NFL never goes to a draft lottery as the NBA has.  

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Then don't complain about teams running up the score.  I wish the Cowboys would have tanked there was no sense in winning  against the Bengals, 49ers, and Eagles, and they would be picking 3rd or 4th depending on how the Texans did, but Miami gets their pick.  Now the Eagles have the 6th pick, and that will help them more than winning.  I think it was a sound coaching decision.  I just hope the NFL never goes to a draft lottery as the NBA has.  

I don't. 

Coming from the world of rugby, it's actually insulting if you don't try to run up the score. It's an insult to the opposing team if you don't try to score right up until the last second. 

In my opinion, you should keep running up the score until the final second. The "victory formation" should be an automatic 15-yard penalty and loss of down. 

11 hours ago, LOL said:

I don't. 

Coming from the world of rugby, it's actually insulting if you don't try to run up the score. It's an insult to the opposing team if you don't try to score right up until the last second. 

In my opinion, you should keep running up the score until the final second. The "victory formation" should be an automatic 15-yard penalty and loss of down. 

I agree.  I just don't see anything wrong with trying to get the higher draft pick.  How many times do we see teams that already have a playoff berth secured, and they rest their starters to prevent injuries ?  They were calling for Houston to do the same thing with Watson since he's already had two torn ACL's, and to rest him since he's basically their only star.  I realize JJ is too, but he's on the downside of his career.  Even in High School coaches would play bench players in the last game so they could get their lettermen's jackets.  You only had to play one play on varsity to get your free jacket.  True usually that one down was on a kickoff or punt.  

On 1/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I agree.  I just don't see anything wrong with trying to get the higher draft pick.  How many times do we see teams that already have a playoff berth secured, and they rest their starters to prevent injuries ?  They were calling for Houston to do the same thing with Watson since he's already had two torn ACL's, and to rest him since he's basically their only star.  I realize JJ is too, but he's on the downside of his career.  Even in High School coaches would play bench players in the last game so they could get their lettermen's jackets.  You only had to play one play on varsity to get your free jacket.  True usually that one down was on a kickoff or punt.  

As an old timer I still use the phrase “everyone is going to letter in this game” when played against a weaker opponent.

Are the rules still the same for lettering or in this age of everyone is a winner does everyone automatically get a letter jacket for participation?

I honestly don’t know anymore.

19 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

As an old timer I still use the phrase “everyone is going to letter in this game” when played against a weaker opponent.

Are the rules still the same for lettering or in this age of everyone is a winner does everyone automatically get a letter jacket for participation?

I honestly think so.  I saw a sophomore already wearing their letterman's jacket just the other day.  They didn't look big enough to even make the team, unless they had some speed for kickoff or punt returns i.e. Darren Sproles.  That made me think should he be in the HOF along with Brian Mitchell.  They are ranked in the top 6 of all time all purpose yards.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_all-purpose_yards_leaders .  I only post this here now since this thread has lost it's life with the firing of Doug Pederson.  

9 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I honestly think so.  I saw a sophomore already wearing their letterman's jacket just the other day.  They didn't look big enough to even make the team, unless they had some speed for kickoff or punt returns i.e. Darren Sproles.  That made me think should he be in the HOF along with Brian Mitchell.  They are ranked in the top 6 of all time all purpose yards.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_all-purpose_yards_leaders .  I only post this here now since this thread has lost it's life with the firing of Doug Pederson.  

Doug Pederson could be a good coach. Won a SB with Nick Foles. I want to see what he does with a team where he doesn’t have to fight the GM or get undermined by his staff.

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Doug Pederson could be a good coach. Won a SB with Nick Foles. I want to see what he does with a team where he doesn’t have to fight the GM or get undermined by his staff.

I think so too.  Last year he lost many of his receiving corps, and they didn't replace the players he lost.  That created the problem at quarterback.  Wentz and Hurts could still be good quarterbacks, and drafting DeVonta Smith or Ja'Marr Chase.  Many of their games were close in losses except to Rams, Steelers, Packers, and I think they were tanking against Dallas.  They add a receiving weapon, a linebacker, and a solid corner back and I think they could contend again.   

27 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think so too.  Last year he lost many of his receiving corps, and they didn't replace the players he lost.  That created the problem at quarterback.  Wentz and Hurts could still be good quarterbacks, and drafting DeVonta Smith or Ja'Marr Chase.  Many of their games were close in losses except to Rams, Steelers, Packers, and I think they were tanking against Dallas.  They add a receiving weapon, a linebacker, and a solid corner back and I think they could contend again.   

The behind the scenes stuff coming out blows my mind. A HC with zero power. The GM making personnel decisions without Pederson’s input. To borrow a Parcell’s’ quote, I’d be a chef looking for a new kitchen too.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, LOL said:

I don't. 

Are you the HC for Refugio? ....

On 1/10/2021 at 11:02 PM, Hookemhorns88 said:

Back in my day you could only get a letterman jacket your senior year, and earning a letter was if the total amount of your playing time added up to a complete game. 

For example, my senior year I got my jacket and it had three "letters" in football, two in basketball, one in track.