🐗 Razorbacks 2021 Thread🐗

Stoney

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Too early to pay him IMO...  However, if you don't right now and you make him wait... would he leave?  This is almost the same game you have to play with players in every sport now.

If I'm in charge I sit down and talk with him, is he saying "I've already got an offer and y'all need to match it!" or is he saying "The market has shifted, get me in line with the current market!"

Because if it's the former, sadly, I think you gotta let him go. That's too big a jump for just one year of improvement, as great as it was. What's to say it was just a fluke? You gonna hitch your wagon to a guy who hasn't proven he's going to deliver year-in and year-out?

If it's the latter, I think you restructure his deal, make his increase gradual and tied to incentive. Like, you go ahead and give him a bump for exceeding expectation this season, and then structure it so that gets an even bigger bump if he meets or improves upon this past season, so on and so forth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

If I'm in charge I sit down and talk with him, is he saying "I've already got an offer and y'all need to match it!" or is he saying "The market has shifted, get me in line with the current market!"

Because if it's the former, sadly, I think you gotta let him go. That's too big a jump for just one year of improvement, as great as it was. What's to say it was just a fluke? You gonna hitch your wagon to a guy who hasn't proven he's going to deliver year-in and year-out?

If it's the latter, I think you restructure his deal, make his increase gradual and tied to incentive. Like, you go ahead and give him a bump for exceeding expectation this season, and then structure it so that gets an even bigger bump if he meets or improves upon this past season, so on and so forth. 

The latter would make sense.  Make it incentive or performance based like the Harbaugh deal (who will cash in big time this year).  

What it appears is happening is that he switched Agents, new agent wants his lump sum with a new contract and is leveraging a few big wins (which don't look big anymore) to get more money before it all goes to :poop: when LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss get healthy again next year and put them fighting with Ms State for the lone SEC West win...

I don't blame him or his agent for doing this, I just think it would be a huge mistake on Arkansas to give him a shiny new contract that replaces the contract they just hired him on.  Reeks of the Kevin Sumlin deal with A&M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

The latter would make sense.  Make it incentive or performance based like the Harbaugh deal (who will cash in big time this year).  

What it appears is happening is that he switched Agents, new agent wants his lump sum with a new contract and is leveraging a few big wins (which don't look big anymore) to get more money before it all goes to :poop: when LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss get healthy again next year and put them fighting with Ms State for the lone SEC West win...

I don't blame him or his agent for doing this, I just think it would be a huge mistake on Arkansas to give him a shiny new contract that replaces the contract they just hired him on.  Reeks of the Kevin Sumlin deal with A&M.

Yep, and Arkie needs to stand strong on this, because they'll likely take a minor step back next year. Not precipitous, but a correction. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Pittman's the right guy there, but there's no reason to pay him bigtime dollars...   at least not yet

22 hours ago, LOL said:

i believe its the latter, last i saw he is the lowest paid coach in the SEC outside of whatever Vandy pays their coach. the only thing i worry with giving him twice what he is paid now is what happens to the assistant pool? if Odom or Briles leave what happens? when Bielema lost his assistants is when he started heading down hill. not saying he should get saban or jimbo money but somewhere middle of the pack would be ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txk85 said:

i believe its the latter, last i saw he is the lowest paid coach in the SEC outside of whatever Vandy pays their coach. the only thing i worry with giving him twice what he is paid now is what happens to the assistant pool? if Odom or Briles leave what happens? when Bielema lost his assistants is when he started heading down hill. not saying he should get saban or jimbo money but somewhere middle of the pack would be ok. 

Great points. 

There's a way that Arkansas can handle this and put their program in a great position to build upon this season's progress. They just gotta be smart and creative about it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mr. P locked this topic