Michigan State prof: Telling someone you can’t understand their accent is ‘linguistic racism’

RETIREDFAN1

Freaking liberals.  Eating beef instead of vegetables is eating racism.  Liking comedy shows instead of horror movies is Cinema racism, etc, etc, etc.   Good grief, give us a break.  Like many of the College Professors today, he’s not an educator, he’s an educated Buffoon.  Clearly, education today is not exposing minds to the wonders and possibilities in the world, but little more than short sided indoctrination that having achieved their lofty position, they’re allowed to look down their noses at the collective masses.   What they don’t realize, many of the masses see them for what they are, bigots.  They’re so caught up in their own self importance, they have no idea what fools they are.

And that’s a memo.

18 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Freaking liberals.  Eating beef instead of vegetables is eating racism.  Liking comedy shows instead of horror movies is Cinema racism, etc, etc, etc.   Good grief, give us a break.  Like many of the College Professors today, he’s not an educator, he’s an educated Buffoon.  Clearly, education today is not exposing minds to the wonders and possibilities in the world, but little more than short sided indoctrination that having achieved their lofty position, they’re allowed to look down their noses at the collective masses.   What they don’t realize, many of the masses see them for what they are, bigots.  They’re so caught up in their own self importance, they have no idea what fools they are.

And that’s a memo.

For some of these people being professors, they sure are dumb!

There always will be people that are chronic pot-stirrers always looking for a new angle to call foul.

Growing up I always went by "Mike".  Being that I grew up in NE Texas I had/have a thick accent.  During my second year at UT-Austin the professor was calling roll the first day of class and called me by my first name of which I do not go by.  I told her that I go by "Mike".  She said, "Thank you for letting me know Mack."  I said "No, its Mike."  She then said, "Yes, Mack, that is what I said."  I then said, "You said Mack.  I said Mike".  By now most of the class is giggling because they already knew my name from the first year.  I then, in my best ET drawl, said, "Its Michael".  She said, "OK, how do you spell that? P O C H A E L?"  Seeing that we are not getting anywhere fast she calls me up to the front of the class.  I go up there and she puts her arm around me, and addresses the class and says, "Doesn't he have the neatest accent?"  Thus since January of 1985 I have gone by "Michael" unless you knew me growing up.

Fast forward to my career.  I travel the world (29 countries and counting) for business.  To this day I have the occasional communication issue both domestically (US/Canada) and internationally because we all naturally have different accents. This not only affects them understanding me but understanding them as well.  Nothing to get worked up over; just a fact of life.

6 hours ago, Hagar said:

And that’s a memo.

Knuckin’ ####...🙄

This is the problem with many professors they are looking for racism in everything now.  I read a story on a horse trainer being banned from racing, because he named his horse Grape Soda.  The only thing I associate with Grape Soda Nehi is Radar O'Reilly, and not racist except maybe people from the Midwest.  

If you can't understand someone you can't understand them.  I will say the easiest English accents I have are 1. Deep Southern accent 2. British 3. Austrailian 4. New York (I suppose that comes from watching many mob movies) 5. Nepalese - I have several friends from Birmingham that were going to UAB, and they speak clearly and don't rush their speech.  The hardest 1. Cajun 2. Indian- I wonder if they do it on purpose to aggravate customers with problems. 3. Wisconsin.  

The funniest one I ever heard was a Cajun restaurant owner in Plano.  I would have never expected to see a Vietnamese man with a heavy yet understandable Cajun accent.  He explained that his father was a shrimper in southwest Louisiana, and that's how he learned to talk.  I thought it was great, and started going there instead of Razoo's because his Cajun dishes were more authentic to what I had before.     

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

There always will be people that are chronic pot-stirrers always looking for a new angle to call foul.

Growing up I always went by "Mike".  Being that I grew up in NE Texas I had/have a thick accent.  During my second year at UT-Austin the professor was calling roll the first day of class and called me by my first name of which I do not go by.  I told her that I go by "Mike".  She said, "Thank you for letting me know Mack."  I said "No, its Mike."  She then said, "Yes, Mack, that is what I said."  I then said, "You said Mack.  I said Mike".  By now most of the class is giggling because they already knew my name from the first year.  I then, in my best ET drawl, said, "Its Michael".  She said, "OK, how do you spell that? P O C H A E L?"  Seeing that we are not getting anywhere fast she calls me up to the front of the class.  I go up there and she puts her arm around me, and addresses the class and says, "Doesn't he have the neatest accent?"  Thus since January of 1985 I have gone by "Michael" unless you knew me growing up.

Fast forward to my career.  I travel the world (29 countries and counting) for business.  To this day I have the occasional communication issue both domestically (US/Canada) and internationally because we all naturally have different accents. This not only affects them understanding me but understanding them as well.  Nothing to get worked up over; just a fact of life.

• LOL! 2