Playoff expansion Could balance out college football

Coach Rab

You say “Power 5.”  That’s not balancing out anything.  You balance it out by completely separating the “P5” or you give the other 5 access to the exclusive championship tournament which would in return somewhat balance out recruiting inequities and give the G5 a punchers chance

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

And they can’t be biased?

Absolutely they can, but you can't have 250+ teams with identical or fair schedules. Therefore you only take the best records and encourage everyone to play cupcakes or you add a committee to weigh those things out and give us the best teams. 

I think ncaa basketball selection committee usually does pretty good. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Absolutely they can, but you can't have 250+ teams with identical or fair schedules. Therefore you only take the best records and encourage everyone to play cupcakes or you add a committee to weigh those things out and give us the best teams. 

There’s not 250 teams.  There’s about 115 I think.  

I liked the bcs and the metrics that it used to rank teams.  It took strength of schedule and other things into consideration.  5 p5 champs, top ranked g5 champ then fill the 2 at large spots with the bcs rankings

Just now, DB2point0 said:

There’s not 250 teams.  There’s about 115 I think.  

I liked the bcs and the metrics that it used to rank teams.  It took strength of schedule and other things into consideration.  5 p5 champs, top ranked g5 champ then fill the 2 at large spots with the bcs rankings

250 was fcs and fbs combined. You are correct about 119 big boys. 

I like your formula

13 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Yes! This is an overlooked point.

Like for real, when's the last time there was a major scandal over a team being left out of March Madness? I'm sure it's happened occasionally, but the tourney is structured in such a way as to mitigate the possibility of a worthy competitor being omitted. 

I honestly believe that if we take all conference champs plus a few high-ranked "wildcards," we'll have something far superior to what we have now. 

Will it be perfect? Of course not. But it'll be a damn sight better than the current system.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1