West Hardin?

Eagleborn

Numbers are really, really low....they cant compete in 2A-D1 so they felt like the best way to try and revive things is to go outlaw, play smaller 2A's and private schools, try to build some confidence and wins and keep the numbers in the program....it sounds like its an absolute dumpster fire right now though

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, MattStepp said:

Numbers are really, really low....they cant compete in 2A-D1 so they felt like the best way to try and revive things is to go outlaw, play smaller 2A's and private schools, try to build some confidence and wins and keep the numbers in the program....it sounds like its an absolute dumpster fire right now though

Thats a tough place to be in. Some other schools headed that direction 

I've heard of some other smaller schools that have thought about doing this because they just don't have the numbers to compete.  The 4A numbers already have a drastic difference in student populations as an example.  I know WH is 2A but still you're looking at a somewhat significant difference in numbers when you've been 2AD2 and then move up to 2AD1.

There's a lot of questions going through my mind about doing something like this but what's the correct way to handle something like this?

- You've got the health of the kids that are actually going to participate in question.

- You've got the aspect of teaching kids that life is going to "stink" and the best way to face it is to go all in and embrace challenges.

- Some districts are restricting funding because of the whole Covid thing and some of the district drives (especially football) are asinine at best.

- How does it affect an athlete's long-term psyche when they're getting their lungs kicked in every single week.

- Should there be some kind of repercussion from the UIL when a team says "I'm taking my toys and going home".

- There's always the 1st domino that falls...how many others are going to follow suit

- I know West Hardin has lost some of their better athletes to other schools in the area, but how is the long term effect going to be of keeping athletes there.

- Should they be forced to take down their state 7 on 7 championship banner after all of this.

I know time is only going to tell with how this rolls out.  The unfortunate thing is there is a lot going on right now that are setting athletic programs back 2-3 years and really separating the haves from the have nots.