National Championship Game delivers lowest ratings in over a decade

Mr. P

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/national-championship-game-delivers-lowest-ratings-in-over-a-decade/

The ratings are in from the 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship Game. And while at first glance it delivered big numbers for the ESPN networks, they weren’t nearly as impressive as in the past.

Firstly, according to ESPN, the number of viewers who tuned in to the game was 18.7 million, easily the most-watched show on Monday night. That number totals up all of the networks involved in the game’s MegaCast, with ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, and the SEC Network providing various other ways to watch including the coaches’ film room, hometown radio call, special camera angles and more.

In context, though, the 18.7 million is the least-watched college football title game since 2004, and is far from the over 25.5 million that tuned to ESPN’s MegaCast coverage last year as Joe Burrow and LSU won the title over Trevor Lawrence and Clemson, according to Sports Media Watch.

What’s more, as college football writer Stewart Mandel notes, the CFP national championship rating was lower than either CFP semifinal. According to Sports Media Watch, the Crimson Tide’s win over Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl Game in Arlington, Tex. was watched by just under 18.9 million viewers. The Sugar Bowl between Ohio State and Clemson was the most-watched of the 3 playoff games, bringing in over 19.1 million viewers.

ESPN’s public relations team naturally put a positive spin on the numbers as its release proclaimed the 3 Playoff games the most-watched shows on cable and the most-watched sporting events outside of the NFL since last year’s CFP final. Looking closer, though, the ratings don’t measure up to past years’ title games, and that’s something that ESPN is certainly digging in to.

The only football game on a boring Monday night, and it still had lousy ratings.

But, to be fair, I didn't watch it either. Bama's win was a foregone conclusion. 

I watched it because... well, it is football.

I will say that usually the only games that I watch with real interest are Longhorn games.  Most other games I watch for entertainment.  For the higher profile games I watch simply to listen to some of the absurdity and flip/flop comments from the commentators.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LOL said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/national-championship-game-delivers-lowest-ratings-in-over-a-decade/

The only football game on a boring Monday night, and it still had lousy ratings.

But, to be fair, I didn't watch it either. Bama's win was a foregone conclusion. 

The game was over at halftime. Most people tuned out and went to bed.

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I watched it because... well, it is football.

I will say that usually the only games that I watch with real interest are Longhorn games.  Most other games I watch for entertainment.  For the higher profile games I watch simply to listen to some of the absurdity and flip/flop comments from the commentators.

Turned it off by the end of the 3rd quarter.  Alabama was making the 7-0 Buckeyes look like a team without an identity.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Turned it off by the end of the 3rd quarter.  Alabama was making the 7-0 Buckeyes look like a team without an identity.

To me, the injury to Fields in the first playoff game certainly had a negative impact on his performance as his scrambles were a bit more cautious.  Plus he had to be thinking of the imminent pain should he be sacked or tackled.  That, coupled with losing Sermon early, probably had a mental affect on the team as well.  Teague was no slouch but Sermon had been the man of late.  I still do not believe the outcome would have been any different than a Alabama win but it could have potentially been a bit closer for a while without those two injuries.

I don't know why the ratings are down for college football, but I can understand the NBA and NFL with their social justice platforms.  People want to watch sports and movies to get away from politics not to have it shoved down their throat there too.  

5 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

To me, the injury to Fields in the first playoff game certainly had a negative impact on his performance as his scrambles were a bit more cautious.  Plus he had to be thinking of the imminent pain should he be sacked or tackled.  That, coupled with losing Sermon early, probably had a mental affect on the team as well.  Teague was no slouch but Sermon had been the man of late.  I still do not believe the outcome would have been any different than a Alabama win but it could have potentially been a bit closer for a while without those two injuries.

Agree.