Covid Months 2020 = 400000 'Excess Deaths'

BarryLaverty

It's not close to being over in 2021. 

400,000 More U.S. Deaths Than Normal Since Covid-19 Struck

By Josh Katz, Denise Lu and Margot Sanger-KatzJan. 14, 2021

Weekly deaths above and below normal in the U.S. since 2015

Recent weeks are most likely undercounts.

Since March, at least 400,000 more Americans have died than would have in a normal year, a sign of the broad devastation wrought by the coronavirus pandemic.

An analysis of mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows how the pandemic is bringing with it unusual patterns of death, even higher than the official totals of deaths that have been directly linked to the virus.

Deaths nationwide were 18 percent higher than normal from March 15, 2020, to Dec. 26, 2020. Our numbers may be an undercount since recent death statistics are still being updated.

Our analysis examines deaths from all causes — not just confirmed cases of coronavirus — beginning when the virus took hold in the United States last spring. That allows comparisons that do not depend on the accuracy of cause-of-death reporting, and includes deaths related to disruptions caused by the pandemic as well as the virus itself. Epidemiologists refer to fatalities in the gap between the observed and normal numbers of deaths as “excess deaths.”

Public health researchers use such methods to measure the impact of catastrophic events when official measures of mortality are flawed.

As Covid-19 cases have spread across the country, the geographic patterns of abnormal mortality statistics have followed. Excess deaths have peaked three times, so far, as have deaths from Covid-19.

There are now excess deaths in every state, with surges in states like California, Colorado, Kansas and Ohio fueling record death tolls in recent weeks.

36 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Since March, at least 400,000 more Americans have died than would have in a normal year, a sign of the broad devastation wrought by the coronavirus pandemic.

An analysis of mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows how the pandemic is bringing with it unusual patterns of death, even higher than the official totals of deaths that have been directly linked to the virus.

Deaths nationwide were 18 percent higher than normal from March 15, 2020, to Dec. 26, 2020. Our numbers may be an undercount since recent death statistics are still being updated.

Our analysis examines deaths from all causes — not just confirmed cases of coronavirus — beginning when the virus took hold in the United States last spring. That allows comparisons that do not depend on the accuracy of cause-of-death reporting, and includes deaths related to disruptions caused by the pandemic as well as the virus itself. Epidemiologists refer to fatalities in the gap between the observed and normal numbers of deaths as “excess deaths.”

Public health researchers use such methods to measure the impact of catastrophic events when official measures of mortality are flawed.

As Covid-19 cases have spread across the country, the geographic patterns of abnormal mortality statistics have followed. Excess deaths have peaked three times, so far, as have deaths from Covid-19.

There are now excess deaths in every state, with surges in states like California, Colorado, Kansas and Ohio fueling record death tolls in recent weeks.

This is from all the shutdowns and sick people not being able to get the treatment they need.  Suicides, overdoses, isolation deaths in nursing homes, and on and on and on and on.  I'm sure you are proud and want more lockdowns.

• Like 1

Just to put a local flavor on it.....

Just here in Longview.... I can only account for one of the hospitals here.... i have no idea what's going on at the hospital down the road.

We hit a high of 188 COVID positive patients this week.  Today it was down to 150 something.  I believe they said 37 are on ventilators.  MICU is full.  SICU is full.  And the former Step-down unit that has been converted to an ICU is full.  The non-critical COVID patients were once all housed in one unit became 2 units... then it was 3.  Now COVID patients are throughout the hospital because there's simply nowhere else to put them.  

Last week we had 28 deaths.  Some COVID, some not.  Most are.  This week I heard it was 22 deaths not counting today or tomorrow.

Total census for the hospital was just over 300.  So COVID patients are accounting for about 50-60% of our total census. 

The ER has 46 beds, but they have been holding 15-20 patients at a time (for as long as 20 hours) because they don't have anywhere to put them in the hospital.... which means NEW patients aren't being seen because old patients are still in those spots.  So ER wait time are insanely high.

I can't account for what's happening a few blocks down the road from us at the other hospital.  But I have a few friends in Tyler and they are all reporting similar circumstances at both hospitals there.

Closer to home..... I have a cousin on a ventilator currently.  He needs to be transferred to a hospital for ECMO (heart and lung bypass) but they can't find a hospital that will accept him in Dallas, FW, Houston, or Shreveport because they are all full.  Downtown Baylor offered to put him on the waiting list.... where he would be #33 in line.  He's 33 years old.

Sad times for a lot of families right now.  And healthcare professionals... well... let me tell you... we are exhausted.   But every time we see someone get to go home to their loved ones.... it's worth it.

No one is ready for this to end more than us.  Trust that truth.  But we still have some dark times ahead of us.  

Stay healthy ya'll.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Just here in Longview.... I can only account for one of the hospitals here.... i have no idea what's going on at the hospital down the road.

We hit a high of 188 COVID positive patients this week.  Today it was down to 150 something.  I believe they said 37 are on ventilators.  MICU is full.  SICU is full.  And the former Step-down unit that has been converted to an ICU is full.  The non-critical COVID patients were once all housed in one unit became 2 units... then it was 3.  Now COVID patients are throughout the hospital because there's simply nowhere else to put them.  

Last week we had 28 deaths.  Some COVID, some not.  Most are.  This week I heard it was 22 deaths not counting today or tomorrow.

Total census for the hospital was just over 300.  So COVID patients are accounting for about 50-60% of our total census. 

The ER has 46 beds, but they have been holding 15-20 patients at a time (for as long as 20 hours) because they don't have anywhere to put them in the hospital.... which means NEW patients aren't being seen because old patients are still in those spots.  So ER wait time are insanely high.

I can't account for what's happening a few blocks down the road from us at the other hospital.  But I have a few friends in Tyler and they are all reporting similar circumstances at both hospitals there.

Closer to home..... I have a cousin on a ventilator currently.  He needs to be transferred to a hospital for ECMO (heart and lung bypass) but they can't find a hospital that will accept him in Dallas, FW, Houston, or Shreveport because they are all full.  Downtown Baylor offered to put him on the waiting list.... where he would be #33 in line.  He's 33 years old.

Sad times for a lot of families right now.  And healthcare professionals... well... let me tell you... we are exhausted.   But every time we see someone get to go home to their loved ones.... it's worth it.

No one is ready for this to end more than us.  Trust that truth.  But we still have some dark times ahead of us.  

Stay healthy ya'll.  

Prayers for your friend 33 is young

My biggest concern is that we really don't know if the virus is causing all of these deaths, or if people dying during the COVID era are all being blanketed for a better number for MSM hype. I know what they have done in the past, so I am still betting they are doing that. But then again, if you don't list every death as a covid death--you don't get money for those going broke hospitals. 

43 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

My biggest concern is that we really don't know if the virus is causing all of these deaths, or if people dying during the COVID era are all being blanketed for a better number for MSM hype. I know what they have done in the past, so I am still betting they are doing that. But then again, if you don't list every death as a covid death--you don't get money for those going broke hospitals. 

Doctor's cannot legally falsify a cause of death.  They open themselves up for not only litigation from insurance companies, but also from families, hospitals, and even the medical board.  They endanger their medical license and their practice.

Each patient's doctor determines the cause of death.  The hospital pathologist will either agree with the cause, add more causes... or take away causes based on labs/diagnostics/etc and even an autopsy if needed or requested.  Often times.... even a peer review group of doctors can be involved.

Why litigation?  Insurance companies (medical insurance AND life insurance) are always going to question cause of death.  Either for a reason to deny payment.... or to make sure everything is on the up and up.  If there are ANY questions about the listed cause (or causes) of death.... they will push to have it investigated.  They may want to deny payment to the hospital in the case of medical insurance... or payment to a family in the case of life insurance.  Just depends on the individual polices. But trust me... if there are ANY questions about the cause of death.... insurance companies will want to know the truth.

Families can sue sue doctors if they question the cause of listed.  Esp if it is keeping them from collecting on a policy.

Hospitals can sue doctors if they think a false cause of death is shorting their reimbursement from the insurance or medicare/medicaid policies.  So.... the truth will be demanded. 

--------

NOW.....  is COVID causing all these deaths?  That's where it gets complicated.

Death certificates have MULTIPLE spots for cause of death.  Because.... people can die from many morbidities.  

Let's say John Doe tests positive for COVID.  But he develops pneumonia from the virus.  He becomes critical and ends up on a ventilator.  While on the ventilator, it puts stress on his heart, which causes fluid to back up and he develops congestive heart failure.  All the extra fluid puts stress on his kidneys and he ends up in renal failure.  2 weeks later he dies while in ICU.

What's the cause of death?  COVID?  Pneumonia?  Respiratory failure? Congestive heart failure? Renal failure?

The answer is yes.  All of them.  Likely....  all 5 of those diagnoses will show up on the death certificate.  Which one actually lead to his death?  Nearly impossible to determine because they were all tied together.  The cause and effect of each...lead to the other....  it's called multiple system (organ) failure.

Would that count as a COVID death in their total?  YES. 

Should it?  Depends who you ask.  Some would say COVID started the chain.... even if it technically wasn't what caused him to die.  COVID caused pneumonia which caused resp failure which caused CHF which caused renal failure.  

Would he still be alive had he not had COVID to begin with?  Maybe.  Maybe not... we can't say yes or no with 100% certainty.

But I assure you..... no one is having COVID listed as a cause of death if it wasn't somehow tied to their death.  Too many people are watching the pot boil....too many to let fraud get involved.  Someone is going to squeal..... a doctor, a nurse, a family member, an insurance company, a governmental social worker...list goes on and on.  Too many hands in the cookie jar for fraud to happen.  At least on a grand scale.

As mind-boggling as 400,000 American deaths are to most of us..... most physicians honestly believe the number is actually higher than that.  Early on.... COVID deaths were missed and were listed as pneumonia deaths or another morbidity.  The lack of testing.... especially in rural areas probably saw patients die from COVID that were never tested.... therefore didn't get counted.  So they got counted in other areas (pneumonia, resp failure, chf).  

Truth be told... the COVID death is probably closer to the 500K mark.... but that can't be confirmed with any credibility.

But 400,000 is mind boggling enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 2

You can poop my post all day long dude. I don’t give a rip. 

Come to work with me.  Come see how fake this is.  Your brain would probably explode of you saw the things we see everyday.  I’m nearly a 20 year veteran and I can’t even believe it.  

20 something deaths a week in a small place like Longview..... now think regionally... then state.... then nationally. 

That math adds up real quick. 

We aren't counting jellybeans. We’re counting ruined lives.  Broken families.  

What a luxury it must be to stick your head in the sand and deny it/call it a hoax. 

Denying it doesn’t make it any less real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, BarryLaverty said:

400,000 thousand extra boomer died, and the number of boomer deaths prior were down. Sooner or later the largest generation of Americans, who happen to be the oldest, will die off. Now remember that the government changed how they counted deaths as soon as coved hit  and then go back and remember how only 6 percent of cover deaths are just from covid and we see that the vast majority of these excess deaths are from something else. Like democratic leadership that put sick people in old folks home, the higher murder rates in democratic controlled towns, the riots, the sucides, the despair of being told to live in fear, the fact that we had a baby boom so at some point in time we are going to have a spike in death that correlates with that baby boom from 70 years ago.
I am glad my grandparents and my children do not have grandparents that would give up their grandkids freedoms and liberties so that they can live. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

400,000 thousand extra boomer died, and the number of boomer deaths prior were down. Sooner or later the largest generation of Americans, who happen to be the oldest, will die off. Now remember that the government changed how they counted deaths as soon as coved hit  and then go back and remember how only 6 percent of cover deaths are just from covid and we see that the vast majority of these excess deaths are from something else. Like democratic leadership that put sick people in old folks home, the higher murder rates in democratic controlled towns, the riots, the sucides, the despair of being told to live in fear, the fact that we had a baby boom so at some point in time we are going to have a spike in death that correlates with that baby boom from 70 years ago.
I am glad my grandparents and my children do not have grandparents that would give up their grandkids freedoms and liberties so that they can live. 

That's a load of undocumented nonsense, in my studied opinion. 

On 1/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, Mavchamp said:

Stay healthy ya'll.  

Dark days are ahead if we think giving the government more power to control our lives will stop the Covid. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

Dark days are ahead if we think giving the government more power to control our lives will stop the Covid. 

No kidding.  Talk about sheep.  Why not just send them all of your money.  Or if you own a small business pay a $20 min wage. You know since $15 is so good.  Heck, make it $50.  Anybody that wants to give the government 1 ounce more control is an IDIOT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1