The Smoakhouse Forums

Texas Head Football Coach Sarkisian Says Players Will ‘Proudly’ Sing ‘Eyes of Texas’

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

For those believe that it is or was a racist song, the reason to sing it now, in present times, couldn't be more eloquently spoken.  I read this when it came out a few months ago and wholeheartedly agree.  Hopefully with him being the Minister of Culture, and of the Hollywood crowd, this will carry some weight.

I want to say he said this right after the OU game. I could be wrong. But that's when the team started standing for the song after the game.

If you're a student, alum, or fan, that song means a lot. When I go to games, it is my absolute favorite moment (especially after a W at the RRR). I like singing it at the opponent and their fans and it brings chills down my spine. I could have never imagined when singing or reading the lyrics that they came off racist. The song is what you want it to be and what it means to you. 

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I want to say he said this right after the OU game. I could be wrong. But that's when the team started standing for the song after the game.

If you're a student, alum, or fan, that song means a lot. When I go to games, it is my absolute favorite moment (especially after a W at the RRR). I like singing it at the opponent and their fans and it brings chills down my spine. I could have never imagined when singing or reading the lyrics that they came off racist. The song is what you want it to be and what it means to you. 

Singing the "Eyes" is a great tradition especially at away games. Below is a pic of the UT/WVU game in Morgantown from last year (2019).  Just from looking at the photo there is almost 100% participation of standing with the Horns raised.  I cannot comment on how many were actually singing but I can tell you that there was a lot of excitement among the players.  I also have video from the 2017 match-up that has the team and UT fans singing the "Eyes" and their jubilation afterwards.  Winning solves a lot of issues.  The issue with this past year as that all of the discontent started before the season started.

Hopefully the 2021 season will return to some sort of normalcy.  I usually make at least one home game and one away game plus the Alamo Bowl each year.  I usually go to the WVU game in Morgantown since my daughter lives in North Carolina.  She is a huge football fan and we meet up in WV for the game.

Lastly, we met some WVU alumni a few years ago at a Cracker Barrel outside of Morgantown and they were gracious enough to extend an invitation to allow us to park at the stadium where they tailgate.  It is really nice to be able to drive right up to the stadium, give the attendant your name, and park for free!

As you can tell in the below pics the UT fans were greatly outnumbered!!!  There weren't many WVU fans left during the "Eyes"!!

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

39 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Singing the "Eyes" is a great tradition especially at away games. Below is a pic of the UT/WVU game in Morgantown from last year (2019).  Just from looking at the photo there is almost 100% participation of standing with the Horns raised.  I cannot comment on how many were actually singing but I can tell you that there was a lot of excitement among the players.  I also have video from the 2017 match-up that has the team and UT fans singing the "Eyes" and their jubilation afterwards.  Winning solves a lot of issues.  The issue with this past year as that all of the discontent started before the season started.

Hopefully the 2021 season will return to some sort of normalcy.  I usually make at least one home game and one away game plus the Alamo Bowl each year.  I usually go to the WVU game in Morgantown since my daughter lives in North Carolina.  She is a huge football fan and we meet up in WV for the game.

Lastly, we met some WVU alumni a few years ago at a Cracker Barrel outside of Morgantown and they were gracious enough to extend an invitation to allow us to park at the stadium where they tailgate.  It is really nice to be able to drive right up to the stadium, give the attendant your name, and park for free!

As you can tell in the below pics the UT fans were greatly outnumbered!!!  There weren't many WVU fans left during the "Eyes"!!

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Those are some PHENOMONAL pics. We always aim to go to a home and away (mainly the big OOC game) each year. Looking forward to visiting Fayetteville in September!