Lonesome Dove

HearEmaGrowlin

I've seen the "movie" at least a dozen times.  Definitely in my top 5.  I've got the book right here that I got from my dad when he passed.  I really need to take the time to sit down and read it.  I have read Comanche Moon but don't think I've read the other two in the series.  I need to read more lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I've seen the "movie" at least a dozen times.  Definitely in my top 5.  I've got the book right here that I got from my dad when he passed.  I really need to take the time to sit down and read it.  I have read Comanche Moon but don't think I've read the other two in the series.  I need to read more lol.

Stay off Twitter and you'll have time JK

Watched the movie as a kid. Read the books as an adult. The movies and tv shows after the original aren’t that great. Woodrow Call is the most polarizing character of the whole series. A man of his word and honor but unable to fully accept his own son.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Image preview

Image preview

Found this first edition in a storage unit that I bought. And it was signed. In the back is a taped in news article featuring Larry McMurty--From the New York Times-1985. 

So I am pretty much a fan of the story and the author. 

Going to his book store is on my bucket list of things to see and do in Texas.

20 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Read the book twice, seen the series a half dozen times...Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones haven't had better roles. 

This may be the only post of yours that I have ever agreed with lol.  Those roles were perfect for the actors or vice versa.  But it is hard for me to watch them in other movies and not think of them in LD.  Except for Duvall in The Godfather (another in my top 5).  He made that one his own as well.  

6 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

This may be the only post of yours that I have ever agreed with lol.  Those roles were perfect for the actors or vice versa.  But it is hard for me to watch them in other movies and not think of them in LD.  Except for Duvall in The Godfather (another in my top 5).  He made that one his own as well.  

Agree that Duvall was awesome as Tom, but I still think no one could have played Gus the way he did. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

Reckon what Gus and Woodrow would have to say about those that want to overthrow the Capitol. 

Pretty sure they would have just hanged all the ones that rigged the election.  Would have been no need to raid the capitol.  But they have raided a few mezcan cattle.  So I'm sure they would have been there...if need be.

12 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Agree that Duvall was awesome as Tom, but I still think no one could have played Gus the way he did. 

Totally agree.  Gus was his finest role.  Some of the best acting ever, in my opinion.  From his facial expressions to had gestures, he was everything I imagine of an old cowboy during that time.  Feel the same about Tommy Lee Jones.  Tough to pick a favorite between the two but with a gun to my head, I'd take Gus.

While I admire a bunch of work of Tommy Lee Jones, from personal--and I do mean personal, he is not a person that you want to hang out with. The impression I got from him is that he does NOT like to meet people and have any type of conversation. Even after you have met him and just say "hello" at the local post office or eating places. Use to run into him a lot out in a little town on a desert plateau in the big bend part of the state. I worked out there for 3 years, right after the filming of "No Country for Old Men" & "There will Blood". The later they were just wrapping up filming from. 

But on the bright side, out there you couldn't get away from Randy Quaid & his wife, Lance Armstrong was pretty decent also.