$15/hr not enough....

gamewatcher63

Just now, DannyZuco said:

You would think that, but if all businesses did that, we would not have many workers, especially small businesses. 

Your question depends upon what kind of person is actually doing the work. While I agree a 120% raise is totally UNJUSTIFIED, you cannot expect any business owner, especially small business owners to do that for everyone. Could @JETT lose some employees for the same money and not having to work with :poop:, yes. But he offers them overtime, less taxes, and maybe other benefits--which we have not talked about. 

I don't know about you or others, but there use to be a time when people were loyal to the company they worked for. My dad worked for the same company for 42 years. That doesn't happen a lot, unless it is a small business owner and their employees, these days. 

Jett will have to make those decisions as they come forward, but trying to force people to give a 120% raise, now that is incompetent behavior. (unless they go from part time to full time employment) 

It’s not a matter of the businesses wanting to do it.  It’s the employees demanding it or leaving.  $15/hour at whataburger will cut down on the revolving door of apathetic workers.  Especially if they’re leaving a pretty nasty job for barely more money.  Don’t be surprised to see Biden mandate health insurance with it as well.  If that’s the case lots of overqualified workers will go that route.  

Just now, DB2point0 said:

It’s not a matter of the businesses wanting to do it.  It’s the employees demanding it or leaving.  $15/hour at whataburger will cut down on the revolving door of apathetic workers.  Especially if they’re leaving a pretty nasty job for barely more money.  Don’t be surprised to see Biden mandate health insurance with it as well.  If that’s the case lots of overqualified workers will go that route.  

When Texas raises the minimum wage to $15--I am gonna work at whataburger part-time, just for extra money. Got figure--20 hours at $15 is $300 a week--times, 50 weeks a year--that's $15K more per year, on top of what I make teaching. 5 years of that, I get my 120 quarters of SS, TRS, and I am getting both at full pay. LOL. 

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

When Texas raises the minimum wage to $15--I am gonna work at whataburger part-time, just for extra money. Got figure--20 hours at $15 is $300 a week--times, 50 weeks a year--that's $15K more per year, on top of what I make teaching. 5 years of that, I get my 120 quarters of SS, TRS, and I am getting both at full pay. LOL. 

You’re prolly not the only one with that idea.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

You’re prolly not the only one with that idea.  

Probably not. But it is a plan, a possible one. Still waiting on "Bucky's" to call me back. They already pay their part time employees that much, they are 8 miles from the house, and I could get started earlier on that retirement thing. LOL. 

45 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Probably not. But it is a plan, a possible one. Still waiting on "Bucky's" to call me back. They already pay their part time employees that much, they are 8 miles from the house, and I could get started earlier on that retirement thing. LOL. 

I love bucees

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

You’d never be at a loss for option at lunch break.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

You’d never be at a loss for option at lunch break.

While that would be a good thing, it is also a bad thing, in the fact, while very tasty, it probably isn't the healthiest for you. And if I spend all my money eating, I don't have any left for savings and traveling when I decide to give up this luxurious life of education. LOL. 

13 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

While that would be a good thing, it is also a bad thing, in the fact, while very tasty, it probably isn't the healthiest for you. And if I spend all my money eating, I don't have any left for savings and traveling when I decide to give up this luxurious life of education. LOL. 

Sardines are rather cheap.  Nasty, but cheap.  

16 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Problem is this (and I can tell you this from experience), the ones who work there that aren't apathetic, and have a halfway decent attitude toward learning, can move up relatively quickly. And some of those places, once you get into being an assistant or store manager, pay fairly decently. I have a cousin who pulls in almost $50K per year as a fast food restaurant manager. Granted, he's on salary (I think) and works a bunch of hours, but he's pulling in $50K. I've heard some managers of fast food establishments can make $80K or more, depending on the establishment and the location.

2 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Problem is this (and I can tell you this from experience), the ones who work there that aren't apathetic, and have a halfway decent attitude toward learning, can move up relatively quickly. And some of those places, once you get into being an assistant or store manager, pay fairly decently. I have a cousin who pulls in almost $50K per year as a fast food restaurant manager. Granted, he's on salary (I think) and works a bunch of hours, but he's pulling in $50K. I've heard some managers of fast food establishments can make $80K or more, depending on the establishment and the location.

Oh yea, no doubt there’s good opportunities in the fast food industry for some people. 

18 minutes ago, JETT said:

I think $10-12 is fair and see how it does to businesses 

You see, this is a small yet correct step in the right direction. Maybe we should raise the minimum wage for those under 21 years old to $8.50 an hour, and raise the minimum wage from what it is to $12 over a 4 year period, starting at $9.50, then 18 months later, $10.75, then 2 and 1/2 years later $12.  that would allow businesses to see what works, and see if the economy can handle it. 

But since gas prices have already risen 14% since election day and uncle joe pulling the plugs on Keystone--we can expect $3-4 dollar gas by summer. Thank you Mr. Biden--DS. 

9 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

You see, this is a small yet correct step in the right direction. Maybe we should raise the minimum wage for those under 21 years old to $8.50 an hour, and raise the minimum wage from what it is to $12 over a 4 year period, starting at $9.50, then 18 months later, $10.75, then 2 and 1/2 years later $12.  that would allow businesses to see what works, and see if the economy can handle it. 

But since gas prices have already risen 14% since election day and uncle joe pulling the plugs on Keystone--we can expect $3-4 dollar gas by summer. Thank you Mr. Biden--DS. 

56793FCC-D310-4FB3-9E73-5CD4318D1570.jpeg