'The Year of School Choice': 8 states introduce school-choice legislation in January

RETIREDFAN1

I am all in on school choice as long as LOCAL PROPERTY TAX REVENUE is NOT use to send a kid to a private school or another district. If you want to change school districts, move into that district, don't expect others to pay for your kid to live in one area and attend another. 

You always have a choice, even in TEXAS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

28 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Betsy DeVos is gone, so now we will have an educator and an advocate for public schools again, not just someone working for private interests or home schooling coalitions. 

public schools = communist indoctrination centers.......HOME SCHOOL, PEOPLE.....SAVE YOUR KIDS..........

16 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

public schools = communist indoctrination centers.......HOME SCHOOL, PEOPLE.....SAVE YOUR KIDS..........

Yeah, now that you are gone from our ranks, abandon all hope, ye who kept your kids in public schools! Pretty sure you aren't flushing your TRS $ down the toilet, are you? That would really show your diligence. 

35 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

We've been homeschooling since our son was about 8 years old. He's 15 now. We're teaching above and beyond what Texas requires.

Also, studies show that in many cases, home schoolers can (and often do) out-perform their "public school" counterparts.

Sourced article: https://www.nheri.org/research-facts-on-homeschooling

Also, https://www.businessinsider.com/reasons-homeschooling-is-the-smartest-way-to-teach-kids-today-2018-1

I will grant that there are drawbacks, but it wouldn't surprise me if the homeschooling community grows.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Yeah, now that you are gone from our ranks, abandon all hope, ye who kept your kids in public schools! Pretty sure you aren't flushing your TRS $ down the toilet, are you? That would really show your diligence. 

I EARNED the TRS $ by working in those cesspools of communist indoctrination striving to help the kids overcome it.......lol....

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

I EARNED the TRS $ by working in those cesspools of communist indoctrination striving to help the kids overcome it.......lol....

You earned all of your years, or just the first 3-4 years of retirement--because the way I see it, TRS is just like SS--unsustainable. That is why the % keeps going up each year. 

I know we are all promised a lifetime of benefits, and like you, I will have earned that retirement when I decide that I WANT to leave. But the system will go broke, just like social security. 

Let's use Barry as an example. LOL 

Barry has worked 30 years in public education. His average of his top 5 years is 68K, when you do all the math and other stuff, he is going to bring home over 3K per month, that is 36K per year. Our little TRS statements tell us how much we have contributed year to year and has a running total, but you know this. I am going to guesstimate that Barry has put in right at 200K in his TRS account. @ 36K per year, he will have gone through all his money in 5.55 years. But does he stop getting paid, do you? NOPE. Neither will I. Let's say that Barry is 55 years old today. (hopefully you aren't younger) LOL. He lives to be 80--that is 25 years on retirement. Without cost of living expenses, Barry will draw $900K over the rest of his lifetime. Even if the state matched his earnings, which they have NOT done in years, he would be out of money in 11 years. but he's got 14 more years to live. $504K dollars more than he put into the system. 

This same process is done with Social Security, and that is why it is so close to being broke. 

So while all of us teachers--right now will have a great retirement, the future does NOT look good for those just starting. 

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

BTW--if you were TEACHING them, they should NOT have been cesspools of communism. You must not have been doing a good job. 🤣 (got cha). 

2 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

You can’t even opt out of TRS. You know it’s a racket when that’s the only option 

Very true. But I do know that when I retire, I can live to 150 and get paid every month, which they can't change the rules on me now. Although they will try one day, I am sure. Then they will get a mouth full from an old, old, old guy with no teeth. LOL. 

• LOL! 1

8 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

What if your parents are Meth heads , and have the IQ of a turnip ?  asking for Trump supporters.  (  lol ,  I had too. )

9 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I am all in on school choice as long as LOCAL PROPERTY TAX REVENUE is NOT use to send a kid to a private school or another district. If you want to change school districts, move into that district, don't expect others to pay for your kid to live in one area and attend another. 

You always have a choice, even in TEXAS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

So funding for public education should be earmarked for local teachers and not for the local kids? 

Yes, rich people have a choice but those less fortunate do not. Some choice

6 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

You earned all of your years, or just the first 3-4 years of retirement--because the way I see it, TRS is just like SS--unsustainable. That is why the % keeps going up each year. 

I know we are all promised a lifetime of benefits, and like you, I will have earned that retirement when I decide that I WANT to leave. But the system will go broke, just like social security. 

Let's use Barry as an example. LOL 

Barry has worked 30 years in public education. His average of his top 5 years is 68K, when you do all the math and other stuff, he is going to bring home over 3K per month, that is 36K per year. Our little TRS statements tell us how much we have contributed year to year and has a running total, but you know this. I am going to guesstimate that Barry has put in right at 200K in his TRS account. @ 36K per year, he will have gone through all his money in 5.55 years. But does he stop getting paid, do you? NOPE. Neither will I. Let's say that Barry is 55 years old today. (hopefully you aren't younger) LOL. He lives to be 80--that is 25 years on retirement. Without cost of living expenses, Barry will draw $900K over the rest of his lifetime. Even if the state matched his earnings, which they have NOT done in years, he would be out of money in 11 years. but he's got 14 more years to live. $504K dollars more than he put into the system. 

This same process is done with Social Security, and that is why it is so close to being broke. 

So while all of us teachers--right now will have a great retirement, the future does NOT look good for those just starting. 

And this is the real reason that teachers are so opposed to school choice! It has zero to do with the best thing for a child's education and everything to do with protecting teacher's salary and retirement! 

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

What if your parents are Meth heads , and have the IQ of a turnip ?  asking for Trump supporters.  (  lol ,  I had too. )

Then you would better in public school, or a charter, or private. 

What if your parents are really great and care about your education? 

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Betsy DeVos is gone, so now we will have an educator and an advocate for public schools again, not just someone working for private interests or home schooling coalitions. 

So a better option for education is someone who is only working for public school interest and death to charters and private schools? 

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Yes yes! Our ranks and the money! That's the important things in public education. Poor kids. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trashyhound said:

So a better option for education is someone who is only working for public school interest and death to charters and private schools? 

I actually get Barry's consternation with people who criticize the education sector. I do. He's protective of it, and doesn't want to see his job endangered. I get that. I work in tech. I get it from a "protecting your job" standpoint.

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

I actually get Barry's consternation with people who criticize the education sector. I do. He's protective of it, and doesn't want to see his job endangered. I get that. I work in tech. I get it from a "protecting your job" standpoint.

I do too but it doesn't make it right, to me it shows lack of character. "There are better options for kids to learn, but that could possibly hurt my pay and retirement so let's don't do that." 

I actually applaud folks in education and the vast majority are great at their job and salt of the earth people! And not one bit of that makes it ok to dictate where kids have to recieve their education. 

17 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

THAT IS NOT FUNNY--I work with a lot of those Turni.....students daily!!!!!!  LOL 

16 hours ago, trashyhound said:

So funding for public education should be earmarked for local teachers and not for the local kids? 

Yes, rich people have a choice but those less fortunate do not. Some choice

Yes, we've talked about this before, local taxes stay local--you don't get to earmark your own taxes. That has NEVER been done in this country. And there is no way in the world that the amount you pay in your local property taxes is going to pay to keep a poor kid in private school. It IS NOT enough money. 

School choice is there, you just have to move or accept the conditions that are presented. 

But the school choice that our state legislators want you to think you get is nothing but a way for rich white folks to get their money back for sending their kids to exclusive private schools. It has NOTHING to do with helping inner city kids get to another district, or helping with getting better educations. 

Because if we go to a taxation plan that allows me to pick where I want my taxes spent, I can guarantee you that not 1 Social program will get a dime of my money--it would all go to the National Park system. Because that is my favorite thing about the United States right now.