Where are we headed? 'Reeducation camps' are not far-fetched

RETIREDFAN1

"You asked me once," said O'Brien, "what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

'Tell me, Winston - and remember, no lies: you know that I am always able to detect a lie - tell me, what are your true feelings towards Big Brother?'
'I hate him.'
'You hate him. Good. Then the time has come for you to take the last step. You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him: you must love him.'

There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always — do not forget this, Winston — always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

All above from George Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four".

And from Wikipedia:

Minitrue:

The Ministry of Truth controls information: news, entertainment, education, and the arts. Winston Smith works in the Records Department, "rectifying" historical records to accord with Big Brother's current pronouncements so that everything the Party says appears to be true.

Miniluv:

The Ministry of Love identifies, monitors, arrests and converts real and imagined dissidents. This is also the place where the Thought Police beat and torture dissidents, after which they are sent to Room 101 to face "the worst thing in the world"—until love for Big Brother and the Party replaces dissension.

And let's not forget about "Newspeak": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

• Like 1

After a Trump administration that sought to attack and demean and diminish all accountability, all truth, by attacking all media, in which fringe weirdos became truth tellers through QANON, and there was ZIP transparency from the White House, with Trump telling over 20 THOUSAND lies, and it being really okay, and paranoia and conspiracy theory became reasonable, this is all really precious and breaks my heart for some of you a little. 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

7 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

After a Trump administration that sought to attack and demean and diminish all accountability, all truth, by attacking all media, in which fringe weirdos became truth tellers through QANON, and there was ZIP transparency from the White House, with Trump telling over 20 THOUSAND lies, and it being really okay, and paranoia and conspiracy theory became reasonable, this is all really precious and breaks my heart for some of you a little. 🙄

You can try to pin a lot of that on Trump, Barry, but it's been going on before that.

Axios: https://www.axios.com/media-trust-crisis-2bf0ec1c-00c0-4901-9069-e26b21c283a9.html

When Edelman re-polled Americans after the election, the figures had deteriorated even further, with 57% of Democrats trusting the media and only 18% of Republicans.

The big picture: These numbers are echoed across the rest of the world: They're mostly not a function of Donald Trump's war on "fake news".