Atlanta

dillonpanthers

46 minutes ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

I'm not talking about this one specific event. You "poo poo" other schools constantly as if Tatum ISD is some kind of holier than thou bastion of excellence. 

I haven’t said anything bad about Atlanta. 

Try not to lose your balance with all this reaching you’re doing. 

Retreads are always an easier decision for school boards that dont know much about Coaching football. Safer pick then gambling in the young up and coming Coordinator with no head coaching experience. I'm sure Gilmer, Carthage and others were happy their school boards didn't go the safe route. 

He can still go out and get the young hot shot coordinator to put energy in to the program. Help a young coordinator to mature and then go take over a program instead of failing and getting fired.  Sometimes the hot shot coordinators think they are ready to run a program but all to often they are not.  Surround yourself with a couple of young hot shots and prepare them to take over a program.  

8 hours ago, RKS21 said:

Yes but he the only way he made it work in Gilmer was to have the right Folks on the board! 

Very true, Gilmer has had an outstanding school board for a long time and it is paying dividends in all aspects of the district.  A good school board makes all the difference in the world.  

Who is to say who is an “up and comer”? How can you project future success? Hallsville got rid of Plunk because he was a .500 coach because the Board Members thought that Hallsville had better athletes than what were walking the halls. Hallsville then hired a State Championship coach who failed miserably once he sat foot in Hallsville. He is now gone and Hallsville just went winless with his replacement.

At least Plunk made “use” with the football athletes he had at his disposal while at Hallsville. Perhaps Atlanta will have better athletes for football per capita than what Hallsville had and Plunk may see success. Who knows?

Also, if memory serves me correctly Plunk was listed as Assistant Head Coach at Ryan.

Not saying that Plunk will be a success but hiring someone that is labeled as an “up in comer” has its risks too just as projecting why someone who did not have total success at their previous stops as the head honcho.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Who is to say who is an “up and comer”? How can you project future success? Hallsville got rid of Plunk because he was a .500 coach because the Board Members thought that Hallsville had better athletes than what were walking the halls. Hallsville then hired a State Championship coach who failed miserably once he sat foot in Hallsville. He is now gone and Hallsville just went winless with his replacement.

At least Plunk made “use” with the football athletes he had at his disposal while at Hallsville. Perhaps Atlanta will have better athletes for football per capita than what Hallsville had and Plunk may see success. Who knows?

Also, if memory serves me correctly Plunk was listed as Assistant Head Coach at Ryan.

Not saying that Plunk will be a success but hiring someone that is labeled as an “up in comer” has its risks too just as projecting why someone who did not have total success at their previous stops as the head honcho.

Well he is just listed as the safeties coach on their website but it does say that he spent a year here in cooper so now I must say that this was a great hire lol. Honestly I have to agree though in comparison to what Hallsville is doing since he left he will probably have a good deal of success at Atlanta.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, Coacher25 said:

Let's not forget that Atlanta had other candidates in mind-They all said no. Instead of b*tching and moaning, give the guy a chance. He's done some good things as a HC.

That's false. This wasn't a desperation hire because everyone said no. This was, what the board felt, was the best ALL-AROUND hire. Atlanta just isn't a school willing to sell their souls to win football games. You've got to think - everything goes in to hiring the face of your program. Past, public records, all of it.

With that being said, I've heard of a couple of coordinators they may be going for, and I'm pretty optimistic. They seem to be a great family, with a passion for the game. 

17 minutes ago, cooperboy22 said:

A Google search turned up these old tweets from someone calling themself Dr. David Plunk from his days at Hallsville. Take a moment and Google Dr. David Plunk Twitter for a little more insight into Atlanta's new coach. You'll be shocked.

Looks like a parody account. Like Fake John Walsh. 

25 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Has this guy ever been to a small school? I know big school coach's are always more knowledgeable and better hires, just curious about his background besides Hallsville and Ryan. 

"Big school coaches are always more knowledgeable and better hires" .....I know alot of guys that disagree with this. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...