23 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Denton Ryan has won 59 straight regular season games. Not to mention, the defending state champs.

Bryant has won 33 overall games in a row. 

I haven’t been this excited about two regular season games in years.

Not to mention, HP hasn’t lost a district home game since 1998... lord. 

We could have three losses before November and still be one of the top teams in the state tbh.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

We could have three losses before November and still be one of the top teams in the state tbh.

Even Legacy should be improved. 

But you're right, we could easily have 3 losses before November....still would be one of the top teams out there...regardless of classification.

5 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

If the Holt kid is as good as Geo, they can win some games. Hope he sticks around. 

If he's in that realm, IMO Tyler would then be favorites over Sherman and Wylie East....and I'd even give them the slight edge over McKinney North. 3 seed.

10 hours ago, LOL said:

I'm not ready to pass on Allen or Grant. I think they can both still improve and develop. I also like the competition, and the fact they're in the same class means that "seniority" isn't a factor, though Allen certainly has the edge in the system. 

However, I also feel like this season *must* be a breakout season for one of them. Someone has to take their game to the next level and assert himself as the alpha dog. 

Solid post.

Thomas looks the part no doubt...has a lot of tools. But he is learning a new system.

See Michael Ross.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen this time...maybe Thomas can pick up the playbook and learn it over night....but its something to keep an eye on for sure.

• Thanks 1

Lot of different athlete ranking sources out there these days. A new one that I've been looking through lately is called The Prototyp. The Prototyp is a growing platform for college football recruiting.

Interesting that they appear to be high on 2023 (JR) QB Landyn Grant (6'3 205) of Longview still despite fellow classmate 2023 (JR) QB Jordan Allen (6'1 180) starting over him last season. https://www.theprototyp.com/recruit/athletes/rankings/class/2023?state=TX&page=1

I can say with confidence that Longview hasnt had the quality of QB depth that they have now. Very unique situation.

1 hour ago, CUJONATION83 said:

My hope as well 

Franklin, the 2024 QB, what type of strides can we expect from him this spring because I remember him being talked about often amongst CUJO fans going into last season.

15 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

Even Legacy should be improved. 

But you're right, we could easily have 3 losses before November....still would be one of the top teams out there...regardless of classification.

@Quick should be happy. My dude has been lamenting our pre-district schedule for a while now.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

Solid post.

Thomas looks the part no doubt...has a lot of tools. But he is learning a new system.

See Michael Ross.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen this time...maybe Thomas can pick up the playbook and learn it over night....but its something to keep an eye on for sure.

Absolutely. 

The main thing I'm going to be watching this off-season and into summer will be decision-making. In some ways it's more important than familiarity with the system.

As much as we've been throwing the ball all over the place in recent years, I think King's natural inclination is to play as risk-averse as possible. This past season it's seemed like the main thing he was looking for was someone who would "take care of the football" and make the best decisions in clutch situations. As a result, it looked like both QBs were playing tight. Which, in turn, resulted in King defaulting to the more familiar option. 

This is all speculative, of course, and comes from a guy who can make these kinds of observations without direct consequence. At the end of the day, I'm confident the right guy is gonna start. My head says it'll be Allen, but my gut says it'll be Grant. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Absolutely. 

The main thing I'm going to be watching this off-season and into summer will be decision-making. In some ways it's more important than familiarity with the system.

As much as we've been throwing the ball all over the place in recent years, I think King's natural inclination is to play as risk-averse as possible. This past season it's seemed like the main thing he was looking for was someone who would "take care of the football" and make the best decisions in clutch situations. As a result, it looked like both QBs were playing tight. Which, in turn, resulted in King defaulting to the more familiar option. 

This is all speculative, of course, and comes from a guy who can make these kinds of observations without direct consequence. At the end of the day, I'm confident the right guy is gonna start. My head says it'll be Allen, but my gut says it'll be Grant. 

What Bout this qb transfer 

32 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

What Bout this qb transfer 

Well, like I said, he has all of the tools. Film looks good, you even have some ranking services putting him as high as the #4 DT QB in the state for 2022 class. His brother is a D1 defensive back currently in college. There's something there.

I just dont wanna automatically jump him to QB1 without having seen him in that green helmet yet. I learned that lesson with Michael Ross.

There's a system to be learned first. Even footwork will be important, he's coming from a pure spread scheme that didnt require a lot of footwork. Now he's stepping into a scheme that requires a ton of footwork. If he picks up the playbook, protects the ball and shows ability to make great decisions....better than the other 3...I don't see how he isnt QB1 to start the year.

I'll be driving to the view a few times to catch a few practices as always. Cant wait to see how it unfolds.

43 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

The tape looks good. But probably need some Jefferson fans to chime in for us.

Longview hasnt had a QB room this deep. We've had 'tandems' like Lee Nix/Jay Hurst in '97, or Quincy Grant/Carlin Freeman in '03 and '04...or Aaron Johnson/Rayshone McGee in 2009...but to have 4 QB's that could start? 

Heck, we talk about it all the time.....any other year...we'd be jumping up and down in joy to see 2024 QB Campbell Williams (6'4 185) who was moved up to varsity with Tutt in the playoffs. We haven't even talked about him much. He could be moulded into a 3ish star QB himself, good player, especially on the baseball field. Him and Grant can pitch very well. He just happened to be in the same class as Tutt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

If he picks up the playbook

I think this will decide everything honestly.

We saw last season how much we struggled because our QBs at the time weren't grasping as much as past QBs had. We had nothing against Ryan's defense.

If Thomas can pick it up quick, awesome.

I've made no reservations that I think Tutt is the next great QB at Longview High and I still think that'll be the case, whether it's this season or next. But Thomas definitely looks to have some quality about him. Excited to get to spring ball.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ANTI said:

If he's in that realm, IMO Tyler would then be favorites over Sherman and Wylie East....and I'd even give them the slight edge over McKinney North. 3 seed.

We just have to see.  I think the talent is there , but lots of things that need to be worked out.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Franklin, the 2024 QB, what type of strides can we expect from him this spring because I remember him being talked about often amongst CUJO fans going into last season.

yea, curious to see how he performs this spring. He is running track, so he should be healthy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LOL said:

@Quick should be happy. My dude has been lamenting our pre-district schedule for a while now.  ;) 

Yeah, I love it, love it, LOVE IT! Well, with the exception of Marshall on there. We'd been better off scheduling Carthage to get a decent barometer of this Lobo team is at.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Quick said:

Yeah, I love it, love it, LOVE IT! Well, with the exception of Marshall on there. We'd been better off scheduling Carthage to get a decent barometer of this Lobo team is at.

Aw dangit, why'd ya have to use the C-word?  :woot:

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Aw dangit, why'd ya have to use the C-word?  :woot:

lol.

They would be a tougher matchup than Marshall. He's not wrong there.

That being said, the outcome wouldnt be much different.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ANTI said:

He didn't play much at all last year because of injury. He's running track and he's definitely an athlete. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quick said:

You know we're not getting rid of it in our lifetimes, sadly.

• Like 1