2021 Pre-Season baseball rankings

Sportsfanatic1

13 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

District 9 looks to be pretty well wrapped up.  Celina taking home the district championship.  Aubrey and Anna in 2 and 3 spots.  4th is Melissa.

I watched the Anna vs. Melissa game on Monday.  Hector is the real deal.  Ross had a heck of a game.  Just don’t think Hector is going to have enough around him to make a deep run but man he is fun to watch.

I have been watching this 2021 class of both these schools for the last 7-8 years and Melissa would always beat Anna until this year.  What happened to all the dudes Melissa had?  You get to know names of kids and none of the good ones are even on the team anymore.  Melissa’s talent has fallen fast.  Could have been a nice rivalry this year. 

Hector is next-level. An absolute dude. If Any can luck into some one-game series, they could make a run. But behind him and around him, I just don't know if there's enough in the tank.

As for Melissa, I thought they'd be a bit more up this year than they are. I thought they would compete for the district crown for sure. Granted, this was a very good baseball district this season, and a good team was going to have to fill that fourth playoff spot. I'd still watch out for the Cardinals in the postseason. They could get hot at the right time.

The Bobcats appear to have all the pieces — most of which are sophomores — to make a run at Region II. They've got a great blend of really young talent to go along with some key senior leaders. The bats can do damage, and the 1-2 punch of sophomores righty Noah Bentley (committed to OU) and southpaw RJ Ruais (Rice) is going to be tough in a 3-game series. Not to mention juniors Brady Cunningham and Cole Marthiljohni (who just got healthy again) who can come in for long relief or pitch the third game if needed. Both those guys would be a 1 or 2 on most teams. Really good team chemistry for the Bobcats too. They're a lot of fun to watch, and should continue to be fun through this playoff run.

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Hector is next-level. An absolute dude. If Any can luck into some one-game series, they could make a run. But behind him and around him, I just don't know if there's enough in the tank.

As for Melissa, I thought they'd be a bit more up this year than they are. I thought they would compete for the district crown for sure. Granted, this was a very good baseball district this season, and a good team was going to have to fill that fourth playoff spot. I'd still watch out for the Cardinals in the postseason. They could get hot at the right time.

The Bobcats appear to have all the pieces — most of which are sophomores — to make a run at Region II. They've got a great blend of really young talent to go along with some key senior leaders. The bats can do damage, and the 1-2 punch of sophomores righty Noah Bentley (committed to OU) and southpaw RJ Ruais (Rice) is going to be tough in a 3-game series. Not to mention juniors Brady Cunningham and Cole Marthiljohni (who just got healthy again) who can come in for long relief or pitch the third game if needed. Both those guys would be a 1 or 2 on most teams. Really good team chemistry for the Bobcats too. They're a lot of fun to watch, and should continue to be fun through this playoff run.

i think melissa has had a few issues with the hc

not necessarily that the problem is the hc but maybe a rift

there has to be correlation to him not returning next year

8 minutes ago, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

Hate to hear that. Melissa has the student population and resources to be successful every year, even when they make the jump to 5A at the next (probably) realignment. The Cardinals will bounce back, I'm sure. And again, I don't know that I'd sleep on them just yet in the postseason.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:08 AM, d0tc0m said:

Edited by CrankyOldMan

2 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

VA and Sanger still have a district game left Friday.  If VA wins then VA and Melissa would have same district record and they split the head to head games this year.  What is the tie breaker?  Coin flip?  

I bet they have a one game tie breaker unless both agree to a coin flip.  

39 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Hopefully that is the case. A coin toss is such a pitiful tie breaker.

For sure.  I wouldn't want a kid's playoff chances his senior year to come down to a coin toss unless there was just no other because of time/weather, etc..  In 11-3A there is a 3 way tie for first and they are playing it out.  Pottsboro won the coin toss and got the bye.  Bells and Gunter play tomorrow and winner plays Pottsboro after that for one seed.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:25 AM, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

Edited by CrankyOldMan

W15 Texarkana Liberty Eylau VS F16 Kilgore
Game 1:  May 6 – 6:00 – @ ETBU
Game 2:  May 7 – 5:30 – @ ETBU
Game 3:  May 7 – 30 Min after Game 2

W16 Bullard VS F15 Paris North Lamar
Game 1:  May 7 – 5:00 – @ Sulphur Springs HS
Game 2:  May 7 – 30 Min after Game 1
Game 3:  May 8 – 3:00 – @ Sulphur Springs

R15 Texarkana Pleasant Grove VS T16 Lindale 
Game 1:  May 6 – 6:00 – @ TPG
Game 2:  May 7 – 6:00 – @ Lindale

W15 New Diana (15-10-2) VS F16 Troup (17-9)
Game 1: Friday May 7, 7 PM @ LeTourneau’s Conrad Vernon Field
Game 2: Saturday May 8, 1 PM @ LeTourneau’s Conrad Vernon Field
Game 3: 30 minutes after Game 2 (if necessary)

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

LE vs Kilgore has changed

Game 1 Thursday @ LE

Game 2 Friday @ Kilgore, Game 3 to follow if necessary

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, Footballalltheway said:

You kinda are confirming what I had heard.  I had heard that the HC was kinda of a hot head and he stepped down or forced to step down dont know which.  Heard he had systematically had run off lots good players over the years that didn’t want to participate in that program with him as head coach and you are seeing the result of that attrition now with not a very good team.  Hopefully whoever they hired will respect all the kids and right the ship.  

That is false.  He had a family emergency and his wife needed him. Sounds pretty noble to me. Also heard the AD wanted all head coaches to only coach one sport.  Coach Russell wanted to coach football more. Loved to hear that we have an AD in Melissa that puts coaches and their families first.  Coaching is a tough profession.  They have to listen to people be arm chair quarterbacks from the stands and that they know everything because they coached a little league team to the championship or won the super bowl on Madden.  They get to be ridiculed on the internet from people who have agendas and vendettas.  The baseball program at Melissa is unbelievable and that foundation was built by Coach Russell and what he can pull out of each athlete.  Super proud my son was apart of that program and I am sad that Coach Russell has decided to only coach football from here on out.  

• Like 2

Here's one I saw on the txhighschoolbaseball site that had me wondering if somebody got ticked off during the "site selection process". 

W12 North Dallas (14-9) vs F11 Hillsboro (10-12-1)
Game 1:  May 7 – 7:00 – @ Hillsboro
Game 2:  May 8 – 12:00 – @ Texarkana Pleasant Grove HS
Game 3:  May 8 – 30 Min after Game 2

On 5/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, HasBeen81 said:

That is false.  He had a family emergency and his wife needed him. Sounds pretty noble to me. Also heard the AD wanted all head coaches to only coach one sport.  Coach Russell wanted to coach football more. Loved to hear that we have an AD in Melissa that puts coaches and their families first.  Coaching is a tough profession.  They have to listen to people be arm chair quarterbacks from the stands and that they know everything because they coached a little league team to the championship or won the super bowl on Madden.  They get to be ridiculed on the internet from people who have agendas and vendettas.  The baseball program at Melissa is unbelievable and that foundation was built by Coach Russell and what he can pull out of each athlete.  Super proud my son was apart of that program and I am sad that Coach Russell has decided to only coach football from here on out.  

this is great to hear. ive only met him once and seemed like a good dude but the sources of the info i had heard were more credible than me but im glad to know thats false

15 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

I think this matchup has changed again.    Can someone get the new info out on this series?

It changed again due to state testing...but UIL announced yesterday afternoon that baseball, softball, and track would be able to compete Thursday anyway. So.. LE vs Kilgore is finalized as

Game 1 Thursday @ LE 6:00

Game 2 Friday @ Kilgore 5:30

Game 3 if necessary to follow game 2

3 hours ago, WiseGuy said:

It changed again due to state testing...but UIL announced yesterday afternoon that baseball, softball, and track would be able to compete Thursday anyway. So.. LE vs Kilgore is finalized as

Game 1 Thursday @ LE 6:00

Game 2 Friday @ Kilgore 5:30

Game 3 if necessary to follow game 2

And neither coach has bothered to update THSB website for some reason.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:02 AM, threejs said:

Here's one I saw on the txhighschoolbaseball site that had me wondering if somebody got ticked off during the "site selection process". 

W12 North Dallas (14-9) vs F11 Hillsboro (10-12-1)
Game 1:  May 7 – 7:00 – @ Hillsboro
Game 2:  May 8 – 12:00 – @ Texarkana Pleasant Grove HS
Game 3:  May 8 – 30 Min after Game 2

Pleasant Grove Field in Dallas, Texas. 

• Like 1