Texans Hire David Culley As HC

24 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

So they hire another untried, unproven guy as HC when there are plenty of PROVEN HC out there to go to.......It'll be Bill O'Brien all over again.......

A unproven, first time HC who’s receiving corps in Baltimore was one of the worst in the league. Just what you want for your franchise QB.

13 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Should've hired the KC OC. 

I don’t get it. Is there something behind the scenes going in with him that hasn’t leaked out yet? The OC for one of the most innovative offenses in the league and can barely get a interview? NFL can recycle Adam “Googly Eyes” Gase or hire a 65 year old senior citizen but pass on Bieniemy? Gotta be pictures or he slipped it to the wrong man’s wife/daughter/mistress.

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I don’t get it. Is there something behind the scenes going in with him that hasn’t leaked out yet? The OC for one of the most innovative offenses in the league and can barely get a interview? NFL can recycle Adam “Googly Eyes” Gase or hire a 65 year old senior citizen but pass on Bieniemy? Gotta be pictures or he slipped it to the wrong man’s wife/daughter/mistress.

Soooo...Here is what I am gathering from different radio hosts around Houston today...

Culley is very much a players coach. He is about culture first and foremost and is a guy that can rally the troops. He isn't an X's and O's guy, but he isn't a micromanager. He is a CEO type that will delegate to his coordinators to do their job. Basically he is the anti-Bill O'Brien. Players love him and his past to HC's talk very highly about him (Reid & Harbaugh). 

Bieniemy is very much an X's and O's guy but is a bit of a bully apparently. He is high energy and a little more like O'Brien. Yes he is innovative and did amazing things offensively with a team that features Mahomes, Hill, Hardeman, Kelce, Edwards-Hellaire, and Bell. He also has a few marks from his college/rookie years, but nothing egregious. 

I believe this was purely a culture hire and I think they feel the best about the vibe Culley will bring to town. Sounds like he will surround himself with some very experienced coordinators. Pretty strong rumor that Lovie Smith will be the defensive coordinator. Not sure what direction they go with for OC, but I expect a decent background from whoever gets that nod. 

This also could be a coach before the coach type hire. Let Cully guide the team during this rebuild and keep the locker room from going full toxic, and then hand off to the guy that is expected to take the team to the next level...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Soooo...Here is what I am gathering from different radio hosts around Houston today...

Culley is very much a players coach. He is about culture first and foremost and is a guy that can rally the troops. He isn't an X's and O's guy, but he isn't a micromanager. He is a CEO type that will delegate to his coordinators to do their job. Basically he is the anti-Bill O'Brien. Players love him and his past to HC's talk very highly about him (Reid & Harbaugh). 

Bieniemy is very much an X's and O's guy but is a bit of a bully apparently. He is high energy and a little more like O'Brien. Yes he is innovative and did amazing things offensively with a team that features Mahomes, Hill, Hardeman, Kelce, Edwards-Hellaire, and Bell. He also has a few marks from his college/rookie years, but nothing egregious. 

I believe this was purely a culture hire and I think they feel the best about the vibe Culley will bring to town. Sounds like he will surround himself with some very experienced coordinators. Pretty strong rumor that Lovie Smith will be the defensive coordinator. Not sure what direction they go with for OC, but I expect a decent background from whoever gets that nod. 

This also could be a coach before the coach type hire. Let Cully guide the team during this rebuild and keep the locker room from going full toxic, and then hand off to the guy that is expected to take the team to the next level...

Looks like Tim Kelly will be the OC. Currently the Texans OC.

21 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Looks like Tim Kelly will be the OC. Currently the Texans OC.

I'm okay with that if they keep Watson. Watson grew a pretty strong bond with him and stumped to keep him around when O'Brien was fired. IF they trade Watson then complete the O'Brien cleanse and wash themselves of Kelly...

• 2 weeks later...