How far should an employer be able to go?

Monte1076

I'm sure many of you have heard of Dave Ramsey. I like some of his ideas, like "get out of debt and stay out of debt". But the reason I bring him up is that I saw an article recently about some of his business practices that let me to make this post.

How far do you think an employer should be able to go as far as interviewing and expected behavior outside of work?

Here's why I ask: In the article, it mentions that when they interview a candidate, they want to interview their spouse as well. Also, apparently, their code of conduct requires specific behavior outside of work. For instance, they allegedly fired a woman not for getting pregnant (because she did), but because she had pre-marital sex. Also, apparently, when you're offered a salary, you're supposed to present them with a budget based upon that salary before they'll hire you.

So how far should an employer be able to go as far as "off the clock" behavior?

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm sure many of you have heard of Dave Ramsey. I like some of his ideas, like "get out of debt and stay out of debt". But the reason I bring him up is that I saw an article recently about some of his business practices that let me to make this post.

How far do you think an employer should be able to go as far as interviewing and expected behavior outside of work?

Here's why I ask: In the article, it mentions that when they interview a candidate, they want to interview their spouse as well. Also, apparently, their code of conduct requires specific behavior outside of work. For instance, they allegedly fired a woman not for getting pregnant (because she did), but because she had pre-marital sex. Also, apparently, when you're offered a salary, you're supposed to present them with a budget based upon that salary before they'll hire you.

So how far should an employer be able to go as far as "off the clock" behavior?

Thoughts?

That’s a little too far, and I like Dave Ramsey.  

32 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

If the Employer wants to pay the employee 24/7, THEN he can have a say about what they do; Otherwise, That employer needs to kick rocks.

Some employers consider a salary being "paid 24/7". Since you aren't getting paid an hourly wage.

I would think that if you are hiring people with certain expectations, that those expectations should have to be in writing. If the employee takes the job, signs the code of conduct papers presented, then the employer has the right to terminate them. But I would expect that some employers get away with using a quote such as "all other duties assigned" or something of that nature. But I would think that a person have a child out of wed lock would have to be written into the code of conduct. But that is me personally. And what about people who live together who are not married? 

But again, you don't have to work for a company like that, you can always find another job. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Some employers consider a salary being "paid 24/7". Since you aren't getting paid an hourly wage.

If there’s a contract with a character or morality clause in it, then you have no leg to stand on either.  My original answer was to if it weren’t a contractual type employment.

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If there’s a contract with a character or morality clause in it, then you have no leg to stand on either.  My original answer was to if it weren’t a contractual type employment.

That's apparently mentioned in the article. I think he had some type of morality or character clause in the employment agreement, but I don't know all the details.

27 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

And what about people who live together who are not married? 

I think in that case you wouldn't be hired, or if they found out after the fact, you'd probably lose your job.

I do think it's interesting that one of his policies is to interview your spouse, as well.

They will go as far as the employee will let them go - So I guess the amount of money they are paying has something to do with it 

45,000 would not cut it 

250,000 + I'm their huckleberry - Bought and paid for - lol 

• LOL! 1

35 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I think in that case you wouldn't be hired, or if they found out after the fact, you'd probably lose your job.

I do think it's interesting that one of his policies is to interview your spouse, as well.

That might be a detriment to some folks!!  Lol

Think it's thought provoking that while he seems to push the path of being thrifty and frugal and making good choices, his own decisions seem to be about laying judgment on others and not being swayed from making money, even possibly at the expense of others. Comes across like a classless Napoleon type with a lot of swagger in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Anybody who takes a job where his employer can tell him how to live his life is a fool, in my book.

Possibly, but it is his business. If he wants only red headed, left handed lesbians to work for him, great. He may not have a workforce but it his choice. Same for offering insurance, vacation, flex time, etc. 

I don't think an employer should have any rights on what people do outside of the work area, unless they are arrested and it forces them to miss work.  I think you should be able to complain about your job on social media, but not to an extent where it hurts the company.  If you don't like working there move on down the road.  

6 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Think it's thought provoking that while he seems to push the path of being thrifty and frugal and making good choices, his own decisions seem to be about laying judgment on others and not being swayed from making money, even possibly at the expense of others. Comes across like a classless Napoleon type with a lot of swagger in my opinion. 

Did you read the article? I think it would provide more insight than my "quick and dirty" summary.

55 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Did you read the article? I think it would provide more insight than my "quick and dirty" summary.

I did. Dave Ramsey, whose curriculum my brother taught for awhile and which has been used in at least two high schools I know, doesn't come across well, at all. Seems very insulting and controlling, and I personally wouldn't work for him or want any family members to do so. 

9 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I did. Dave Ramsey, whose curriculum my brother taught for awhile and which has been used in at least two high schools I know, doesn't come across well, at all. Seems very insulting and controlling, and I personally wouldn't work for him or want any family members to do so. 

Gotcha. As I stated earlier, I like the basic premise of "get out of debt, stay out of debt". But you're right, that article doesn't make him look good at all. I understand wanting to run a business based upon Christian Biblical principles, but I think there are different ways of going about that.