Texas Top Basketball Recruit

JTFAN99

2 hours ago, AtlantaFan04 said:

If that Tatum kid is as good as you think why isn't he being recruited/scouted by large basketball programs?

Genetics is recruited, not talent.

Many HS coaches will tell you that.

Plus Boyd is a P5 player in football. Basketball coaches may not give him a look because there's no guarantee that he'll choose their sport when he goes to college...

1 hour ago, RecruitbEastTx said:

They played on the same AAU team some years ago. That team was loaded. Jalen Hale, Jayden Boyd, Josh Thomas and Chris Shepard of Jefferson, Kendric Malone, Trey Fite. 

Also Mikal Harrison-Pilot from Temple who is now getting major offers in football.

I wanna say that Montrel Hatten at Carthage played AAU ball with Hale too.

At that time, Hatten was playing middle school ball in Longview.

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Genetics is recruited, not talent.

Many HS coaches will tell you that.

Plus Boyd is a P5 player in football. Basketball coaches may not give him a look because there's no guarantee that he'll choose their sport when he goes to college...

Who does he have offers from? All I see is that he's a *** and has offers from Kansas and New Mexico. Yet people (DeKalb of all places LOL!) on here are dogging on Collins for choosing Kentucky.

Not here to hype up or tear down anyone. But they ain't handing out 5 star ratings like Halloween candy.  They see something if this kid is the number one recruit in Texas (and #10 nationally), especially with all the talent coming out of Houston and DFW. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

We go back and forth on this all the time. You really think these guys don't do a good job analyzing these players. 

They do a terrible job to be perfectly honest, especially on the football side of things.

13 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Not here to hype up or tear down anyone. But they ain't handing out 5 star ratings like Halloween candy.  They see something if this kid is the number one recruit in Texas (and #10 nationally), especially with all the talent coming out of Houston and DFW. 

6’9, athletic and can shoot from anywhere.   There are not many of those in the DFW or Houston.   This is why he is ranked where he is.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ANTI said:

They do a terrible job to be perfectly honest, especially on the football side of things.

SMH....I just can't agree with you on this.  No system is perfect and they do miss on some kids...but I say they mostly get it right.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

SMH....I just can't agree with you on this.  No system is perfect and they do miss on some kids...but I say they mostly get it right.   

I think at one time they mostly got it right but these days... not even close. 

I love all Longview players and I'm not putting anyone down....but why do you think Jalen Hale is getting all of these P5 offers, but a beast like Kamden Perry didn't see near the same amount of love?

Are you really sitting here telling me that there's a huge talent gap between the two? Because there definitely isnt and many would in fact say Perry was better. 

LV's current Mike LB Devean Isaac is receiving D1 attention. Meanwhile, Tyshawn Taylor, who is probably the best Lobo LB I've ever seen, could only muster JUCO offers. I love Isaac but Taylor was a way better Linebacker. The difference? Isaac is about 6'0 210+. Taylor was 5'10 190. Size bias. 

I don't think they miss on every single one but they sure miss way more often than they hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

I think at one time they mostly got it right but these days... not even close. 

I love all Longview players and I'm not putting anyone down....but why do you think Jalen Hale is getting all of these P5 offers, but a beast like Kamden Perry didn't see near the same amount of love?

Are you really sitting here telling me that there's a huge talent gap between the two? Because there definitely isnt and many would in fact say Perry was better. 

LV's current Mike LB Devean Isaac is receiving D1 attention. Meanwhile, Tyshawn Taylor, who is probably the best Lobo LB I've ever seen, could only muster JUCO offers. I love Isaac but Taylor was a way better Linebacker. The difference? Isaac is about 6'0 210+. Taylor was 5'10 190. Size bias. 

I don't think they miss on every single one but they sure miss way more often than they hit.

No doubt you have seen alot more lobo games than I have...but I think Jalen Hale is a much better talent, and that is no knock against Perry. Honestly Hale is a once in a generation talent.   Perry played on a better team with a better qb.  But Perry, wasn't overlooked. He had several 1-AA offers. Bruh, its tough just to get an offer period, so It's no knock against a kid to get a 1-aa offer vs 1-a offer.   Since 1-A and 1-AA give you full rides.

Perry had a very good freshman yr, and if he stays on track, he will get notice. Kids from 1-AA schools make it to the NFL all the time, so he will not be looked over. 

As far as the other kids go, maybe it was a grade thing... who knows.  I know size isn't everything, but size does matter.   There is a reason why you don't see 5'10 250 offensive lineman or 5'6 power forwards in the NBA.    

If Tyshawn is the man like you say, he will go to JUCO and ball out, then get a full ride to some school (and it doesn't matter if its Auburn, SFA, or ETBU) and if he is good enough, the scouts will find him...because more times than not, they usually do. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, AtlantaFan04 said:

It's very obvious there's some chip on your shoulder. You (I assume it's you...and other Tatum fans) also made several comments/cheap shots about him on the FSW Friday Night Lights app back in the fall. Calling him "the Stick".

If that Tatum kid is as good as you think why isn't he being recruited/scouted by large basketball programs?

And like I said on the FSW app...once he's out of HS and gets into a college conditioning/strength program we'll see who has the last laugh.

Tatums never been one that has basketball players recruited. But they have a couple in the state and National record books though. 

No chip on my shoulder. I stand by what I said. He wasn’t the best player on the court the times I’ve seen him live. Doesn’t mean he’s not a good player. There’s a reason he was heavily recruited. 6’9/6’10 and can move with grace. Luckily for him he won’t have any 5’8 guys guarding him and frustrating him in college. 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, AtlantaFan04 said:

Who does he have offers from? All I see is that he's a *** and has offers from Kansas and New Mexico. Yet people (DeKalb of all places LOL!) on here are dogging on Collins for choosing Kentucky.

Kansas P5, no?

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

But Perry, wasn't overlooked.

Perry was way overlooked.

Almost 2,000 receiving yards in a year, has the most receiving yards in 6A title game history (and I dont think itll get broken anytime soon).

Use the eye test, Perry was generational too. I dont know that there are too many that I've seen with better route running and catching ability than him. He just wasnt 6'3 200. I dont have a problem with you saying Hale > Perry....to me it could go either way...but there certainly isnt a huge gap. Perry was certainly better than other past Lobo WRs like Dorian Leonard, Malcolm Kelly, Eric Hawkins, Carey Fortson etc that went P5.

Another question for you, who was better, Keilyn Williams or JaMycal Hasty? You better not get that one wrong. lol

Getting an offer doesnt mean you werent overlooked either.

Despite his rating, even Kyler Murray was overlooked. The absolute best HS QB I've ever seen and its not close....but only had about 15 committable offers out of HS. And they didnt come as early as they shpuld've. That 15 should have at least been over 30, and magically would've been had he been 6'2 215. But he was 5'8 180. 

I mean Haynes King had 30. Who was better, him or Kyler Murray?

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Perry was way overlooked.

Almost 2,000 receiving yards in a year, has the most receiving yards in 6A title game history (and I dont think itll get broken anytime soon).

Use the eye test, Perry was generational too. I dont know that there are too many that I've seen with better route running and catching ability than him. He just wasnt 6'3 200. I dont have a problem with you saying Hale > Perry....to me it could go either way...but there certainly isnt a huge gap. Perry was certainly better than other past Lobo WRs like Dorian Leonard, Malcolm Kelly, Eric Hawkins, Carey Fortson etc that went P5.

Another question for you, who was better, Keilyn Williams or JaMycal Hasty? You better not get that one wrong. lol

Getting an offer doesnt mean you werent overlooked either.

Despite his rating, even Kyler Murray was overlooked. The absolute best HS QB I've ever seen and its not close....but only had about 15 committable offers out of HS. And they didnt come as early as they shpuld've. That 15 should have at least been over 30, and magically would've been had he been 6'2 215. But he was 5'8 180. 

I mean Haynes King had 30. Who was better, him or Kyler Murray?

Perry was a very good WR.  He ain't Hale.  Hale as a soph is the best athlete in the city of Longview and probably the best in East Texas. Best Basketball and Football player at the school.    Height has nothing to do with it, because Perry is 6 feet tall.  He just ain't as good as Hale.  There ain't many that come across East Texas as good as Hale.  He started on varsity as a Freshman at Longview.  That right there says it all.  I'm sure Perry wasn't on varsity as a Freshman.

And you are probably right about Perry being better than those other WRs...but again, he got a full ride.  That's all that matters.  Don't be fixated on who or what level the offer comes from.  To get an offer period is a huge accomplishment.  Perry will be fine. He is getting a full ride and He will likely get noticed by NFL scouts if he keeps ballin. 

What you do in high school, is only part of the recruiting process.  Recruiting is about projecting how a player would do in the future vs bigger, stronger and faster athletes.  That's why size and other attributes matter.   Keilyn Williams was an incredible player. But can Keilyn block a 6'3 240 LB coming hard on a blitz. Not saying he can't but these recruiters are looking at those type of things also and not just his rushing stats.  

And one last thing, you are way off on Kyler Murray.  Dude wasn't close to being overlooked. He was a five star who had offers from Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, Auburn, OU, Texas AM, Oregon, and Florida.  Who else could have offered the kid to make you happy, the New England Patriots.   

AND HE WAS THE NUMBER 1 PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT.

Again, being overlooked is not getting an offer at all. 

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

Perry was a very good WR.  He ain't Hale.  Hale as a soph is the best athlete in the city of Longview and probably the best in East Texas. Best Basketball and Football player at the school.    Height has nothing to do with it, because Perry is 6 feet tall.  He just ain't as good as Hale. 

Man, you have to have a better eye for talent than this. lol

How is Perry not as good as Hale? Cmon now, they were both the same realm of WRs and to be honest, I've seen Hale drop passes that Perry catches in his sleep.

Btw, yes Hale played on varsity his freshmen year. But he was not a full time starter. He should've been but that's another story for another day.

Perry started 3 years in Longview's offense, the only other WRs who started at least 3 years the past 20 years were Malcolm Kelly and Jalen Hale. Got moved up late his freshmen year for playoffs but didnt see a snap. But neither of the starting varsity WRs that year (2015) were better than him.

If I had to speculate on why Perry was slept on, they didnt like his 40. The shorter you are, the faster you better run at these camps and Perry wasnt a straight line 4.4 guy. But who cares. He had good football speed and tremendous route running, he smoked 4.4-4.5 DBs all the time with pure skill and talent.

Not diminishing Hale who is great, I've told people for years what he would be before he touched HS. But Perry is right there with him. 

55 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

And one last thing, you are way off on Kyler Murray.  Dude wasn't close to being overlooked.

Kyler was way overlooked. 

No matter what his rating was. 15 offers? 

This is the best TXHSFB QB ever....Garrett Nussmeier from FM Marcus had 30+ in this past class. You don't even know who he is. lol

And I still remember like yesterday how everyone was saying Kyler wouldnt make it in college because he was supposedly too small.

Went to college, proved everyone wrong....got drafted. I bet you this happens more often too if players are given the oppurtunity after HS. Now, him going #1 had a lot to do with Kingsbury who knew of Murray's talents since he was in 9th grade. If the Cardinals have another coach, I bet they sleep on him too.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Man, you have no eye for talent. lol

How is Perry not as good as Hale? Cmon now, they were both the same realm of WRs and to be honest, I've seen Hale drop passes that Perry catches in his sleep.

Btw, yes Hale played on varsity his freshmen year. But he was not a full time starter. He should've been but that's another story for another day.

Perry started 3 years in Longview's offense, the only other WRs who started at least 3 years the past 20 years were Malcolm Kelly and Jalen Hale. Got moved up late his freshmen year for playoffs but didnt see a snap. But neither of the starting varsity WRs that year (2015) were better than him.

If I had to speculate on why Perry was slept on, they didnt like his 40. The shorter you are, the faster you better run at these camps and Perry wasnt a straight line 4.4 guy. But who cares. He had good football speed and tremendous route running, he smoked 4.4-4.5 DBs all the time with pure skill and talent.

Not diminishing Hale who is great, I've told people for years what he would be before he touched HS. But Perry is right there with him. 

No eye for talent.....How? I never said Perry wasn't a great player. The kid was incredible.  I just said he ain't as good as Hale.   That's all.   That's no knock against him. But Perry played on a better team with a better QB.  Hale is probably the best athlete in East Texas. One of the best basketball and football players.  And again, he just a soph.  

All I'm saying is that I feel like you don't understand how great of an accomplishment it is just to get an offer from a FCS/1-AA school    You don't need a P5 offer just to justify that a player is legit.   With the spread offense being run at an all-time high...the number of great high school WR's out there has increased.  The competition at that position is crazy these days.  To be able to get a full ride at a FCS or FBS school is big time.    Don't diminish that. 

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Kyler was way overlooked. 

No matter what his rating was. 15 offers? 

This is the best TXHSFB QB ever....Garrett Nussmeier from FM Marcus had 30+ in this past class. You don't even know who he is. lol

And I still remember like yesterday how everyone was saying Kyler wouldnt make it in college because he was supposedly too small.

Went to college, proved everyone wrong....got drafted. I bet you this happens more often too if players are given the oppurtunity after HS. Now, him going #1 had a lot to do with Kingsbury who knew of Murray's talents since he was in 9th grade. If the Cardinals have another coach, I bet they sleep on him too.

Dude, you are literally taking the number of offers way too serious.  You really think Kyler was limited to just 15 offers.  Come on man. 

He was offered by almost every top program in the country.... Ohio State, Texas, OU, Oregon, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn......You really think that if he said he wanted to go to Purdue or Syracuse or Tennesee, or UCLA, TCU, La Tech, South Carolina, Nebraska, Florida State, or most other Div.1 schools they wouldn't have offered him.  I almost guarantee that Kyler got letters and calls from every Div.1 and 1-AA school in the country, but if he didn't show interest, the schools aren't going to waste their time with an offer, especially if they got another 4 or 5 star guys they feel will commit.  

Trust me, I have many close family an friends that have played Div.1 and 1-AA football and basketball. Also, have a couple close friends that are sports journalist that cover college recruiting. I know exactly how this works.  I could share with you many stories, some are very wild. 

But again, don't take that list literally, Kyler had alot more than 15 offers. He could have went to almost any school he wanted to. 

by the way...I think Kyler is one of the best ever in Texas, but VY goes down as top on my list. Kyler had way more to work with.   But I got no problem with someone saying Kyler was better. 

7 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Dude, you are literally taking the number of offers way too serious.  You really think Kyler was limited to just 15 offers.  Come on man. 

He was offered by almost every top program in the country.... Ohio State, Texas, OU, Oregon, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn......You really think that if he said he wanted to go to Purdue or Syracuse or Tennesee, or UCLA, TCU, La Tech, South Carolina, Nebraska, Florida State, or most other Div.1 schools they wouldn't have offered him.  I almost guarantee that Kyler got letters and calls from every Div.1 and 1-AA school in the country, but if he didn't show interest, the schools aren't going to waste their time with an offer, especially if they got another 4 or 5 star guys they feel will commit.  

Trust me, I have many close family an friends that have played Div.1 and 1-AA football and basketball. Also, have a couple close friends that are sports journalist that cover college recruiting. I know exactly how this works.  I could share with you many stories, some are very wild. 

But again, don't take that list literally, Kyler had alot more than 15 offers. He could have went to almost any school he wanted to. 

by the way...I think Kyler is one of the best ever in Texas, but VY goes down as top on my list. Kyler had way more to work with.   But I got no problem with someone saying Kyler was better. 

People don't understand this. It wasn't just him. Allen has been getting move ins for years. You put Patrick Mahomes in there and the offense is probably better. It definitely doesn't get worse with him.

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

But Perry played on a better team with a better QB. 

If Perry's accomplishments was all Haynes King, why didnt any of the WRs in 2019 duplicate his success?

When I saw Kamden doing great things at Foster MS, he wasnt catching passes from Haynes. When he was wowing people in 7v7 in HS...guess what...those passes werent always from Haynes. As matter of fact, when Longview advanced far at the state 7v7 tourney in 2017, Jordan Lawson was the one making those throws to Perry. He's not catching passes from Haynes now....but broke freshmen records at Incarnate Word. The dude, his entire career, has literally been amazing regardless of who his QB was.

There was no gap between Perry and Hale. They're both generational. The two best Lobo WRs I've ever seen. Perry should've been at a P5 no question.

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I'm not in the business of putting my business on the boards...

But I was a GA briefly in college, before ultimately choosing another career.

2 1st cousins made it to tryouts for the Titans and Eagles, one is a month younger than me....currently coaching on the D1 level.

We know what we're talking about. Ask any HS coach and they'll agree with me too, like the one below. Its actually no secret that they recruit size over talent. 

If all of these ratings and rankings were so pure and accurate...and truly reflected talent level across the board....Lancaster would win state in football almost every year. Heck, Legacy would've been the best team in ETX last year if that was the case.

2 hours ago, VonG said:

People don't understand this. It wasn't just him. Allen has been getting move ins for years. 

Allen still gets move ins, still has plenty of talent. Have had plenty of D1 QBs since Murray. But havent went 47-0 since Murray....I wonder why.

It doesn't matter how much is around you....you still have to go out and execute. That's what Murray did....better than I've ever seen. And he didn't always have amazing defenses as a safety net, see 2014. That season, to me, really stamped Murray as the goat. That team had no real running game, defense was 'alright' and a lot of his targets were lost the year before. Still won a title.

These past few years have been very dominant for North Shore, but watch what happens to them now. They'll be talented as usual and may even have another D1 QB....just like Allen. But they wont be as dominant because Dematrius Davis was a true rare QB talent.

Duncanville played for back to back championships behind the talent of JaQuinden Jackson. This year they didnt make it to the dance....despite arguably having more talent than the previous two years. The difference? No JJ.

Longview went through it too this past year.