Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Texas Top Basketball Recruit


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW, Collins is the first East Texan EVER to be selected to McDonalds All-American game. 

Games I’ve seen him in person he wasn’t the best player on the court

6’9, athletic and can shoot from anywhere.   There are not many of those in the DFW or Houston.   This is why he is ranked where he is.   

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

There's no argument at all there.

He had 15 offers. Those are facts. He should've had more. For comparison, Chason Virgil from West Mesquite, in the same class, also had 15 offers. 

I don't want to hear any bogus excuses about player interest toward the school...not in this case, It plays a role but not for the top players, usually for the guys getting 3* attention. Many players are receiving 30+ offers, and those players aren't genuinely interested in all 30 schools. Only about 10 of them on average, but those other 20 schools still offered because they apparently liked what they saw. 

Thing is, with the top players (who meet the size requirement), schools will usually offer regardless of the players' level of interest in said school. Even if its Texas Tech offering a player with a Bama offer, they're gonna do all they can to get that player into their football program because it certainly doesn't hurt to try. I mean hell, Kliff Kingsbury tells the story all the time...he was going after Kyler hard in HS but Kyler was never really interested. Kyler had his favorites just like anyone else, everyone knew it was coming down to A&M (where his dad went), Oregon, OU and UT.

Anyway, Kyler's lack of offers compared to other less talented QBs had nothing to do with his interest level in schools, more to do with size bias. I have no doubt in my mind that if Murray was 6'2, all of a sudden he has 30 offers instead of 15. 

Jarrett Stidham was in the same class, was more recruited than Murray. Why do you think that is?

Dude, 247 had Kyler with 15 offers, ESPN had him with 22.  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/158130/kyler-murray

Again, you are focused too much on the offers, when the list is bogus.  You really think Kyler couldn't go Boston College or Purdue if he wanted to.   Besides, who gives a flip about the so-called lack of offers if Ohio State, Clemson, Florida, Notre Dame, OU, Texas, Texas AM, and Auburn offer you.  You really think he sitting back worrying about why Oregon State or Utah isn't on the list.   

Use some common sense man, you really think if Ohio State and Clemson is offerning you, you can't go to any other school in America....Think about it.

Let me give you a story....My cousin was being persued by TCU in high school. He went on the trip, but when he got there, all the players told him the coach was leaving. So he was luke warm on them. The coaches called him everyday trying to get him to commit. They were also recruiting another player nearby who played the same postions and basically used them against one other.  Saying stuff like...."We got one scholarship left and if you don't commit we will give it to the other guy because he wants to be here, but we like you better".   My cousin didn't fall for it, and they so-called pulled the offer. Trust me, he could have went there if he wanted too.

QB is a different position.  If you are recruiting a top notch QB and he wants to come there, and he see's you offer Kyler Murray, they run the risk of changing their mind.  This happens all the time.  I saw this personally, when LSU was recruiting R. Randle, a WR from Bastrop, LA.  LSU was recruiting another WR, and Randle's family basically said he wasn't coming to LSU if they offered that kid. So LSU, pulled that offer because Ruben was the top WR in the country.  

Kyler's dad was very involved in this process too and you don't know how that affected things, plus Kyler also had the threat of baseball in his hands.  I'm sure if schools didn't have a good baseball program, they were automatically taken out of the equation.  

again, you are being naive if you think Kyler couldn't have went to any school in America. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JTFAN99 said:

Wrong, size matters in both sports. 

Basketball is different, but football....me and you will never see eye to eye on the statement above. Ever. 

I've seen way too much to think otherwise. 

You would think with you coming out of JT, you'd have similar thought process as me but, guess not. Some of the coldest dudes I've seen from that program were 'undersized'/overlooked and didn't get the deserved notoriety. 

But agree to disagree. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ANTI said:

Basketball is different, but football....me and you will never see eye to eye on the statement above. Ever. 

I've seen way too much to think otherwise. 

You would think with you coming out of JT, you'd have similar thought process as me but, guess not. Some of the coldest dudes I've seen from that program were 'undersized'/overlooked and didn't get the deserved notoriety. 

But agree to disagree. 

 

I think we agree more than you think.  I think we have a difference of opinion on what "overlooked" means. We can go back and forth, but I understand your overall argument.  You like to see more guys get an opportunity at Div.1 level. who you believe are being overlooked.  For me, I think getting any offer whether its D2, 1-AA, or D1 is proof that someone is paying attention to you.  

Sometimes its better for a kid to be the big fish in a small pond. In other words, its easier to get overlooked by the scouts if you are just one of 5 good WR's for Texas Tech, rather than being the best WR at SFA.  Perry is going to continue to shine at IW, and he will be seen at the end of the day. 

I guess we got way off topic. for the past couple of days...lol  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I think we agree more than you think.  I think we have a difference of opinion on what "overlooked" means. We can go back and forth, but I understand your overall argument.  You like to see more guys get an opportunity at Div.1 level. who you believe are being overlooked.  For me, I think getting any offer whether its D2, 1-AA, or D1 is proof that someone is paying attention to you.  

Sometimes its better for a kid to be the big fish in a small pond. In other words, its easier to get overlooked by the scouts if you are just one of 5 good WR's for Texas Tech, rather than being the best WR at SFA.  Perry is going to continue to shine at IW, and he will be seen at the end of the day. 

I guess we got way off topic. for the past couple of days...lol  

Okay...one more example. An all Tyler example. If I can't get through to you this time, I never will. lol

The recruiting sites say that Chance Amie and Greg Ward had a huge talent gap. Backs like Dada Brown and Romonte Hampton were slept on, while Bryson Donnell has a healthy list of offers. What's your take on that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryson is bigger than both of them. Bryson fits their package in what they (college recruiters) consider a back should be. Skills wise Dada is better than both of them. Ramonte did go to SFA. A division 1AA school. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Okay...one more example. An all Tyler example. If I can't get through to you this time, I never will. lol

The recruiting sites say that Chance Amie and Greg Ward had a huge talent gap. Backs like Dada Brown and Romonte Hampton were slept on, while Bryson Donnell has a healthy list of offers. What's your take on that? 

from a rating standpoint, they were both 3 star. However, Greg was considered more of an athlete and Amie as a QB. Both received offers from Div.1 schools outside the power 5, but Amie did gather some  P5 offers.  I think alot of it had alot to do with how they regarded what position they would play

However,  Greg should have been given more consideration as a dual threat qb and does seem that Amie was more highly regarded despite having the same rating. 

This is a tough one because I think they thought in the the long run WR was probably the better option for Greg. And based on what he has done in the NFL, you could have argued they were correct.  But I can see your point on this one. 

I will say that Greg made to most of his opportunity and although he started out as a WR at Houston, he eventually became the starting QB.  Amie I think has already transferred twice.  Greg stuck things out and overcame his situation.

I have no idea what happen with DaDa and Romonte. I know Hampton ended up starting as SFA for a couple of yrs, but he had to share carries with other backs.  Bryson is a bigger back, and may be considered a better prospect against bigger and stronger talent. I didn't see much of DaDa because I has alot going on during that time period, but based on everything I hear, he was probably overlooked.  But again, I didn't see much of him and I don't know his situation from an academic or character standpoint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VonG said:

Bryson is bigger than both of them. Bryson fits their package in what they (college recruiters) consider a back should be. Skills wise Dada is better than both of them. Ramonte did go to SFA. A division 1AA school. 

If I remember right, Dada signed with Alcorn? 

Hampton, to me, has to be the most underrated back to come out of Tyler the past 20 years. That dude was very good at making something out of nothing. Dada was definitely the fastest.

Where does Hampton rank on your personal TISD list of backs in that time frame?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ANTI said:

If I remember right, Dada signed with Alcorn? 

Hampton, to me, has to be the most underrated back to come out of Tyler the past 20 years. That dude was very good at making something out of nothing. Dada was definitely the fastest.

Where does Hampton rank on your personal TISD list of backs in that time frame?

Kendall Hunter, Tyrone Ross, Ramonte, Kyordric Black.  

Im sure Dada Brown is somewhere just after Ross, and Lee had a couple other good rbs around this time 2004-2010.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Kendall Hunter, Tyrone Ross, Ramonte, Kyordric Black.  

Im sure Dada Brown is somewhere just after Ross, and Lee had a couple other good rbs around this time 2004-2010.

Lee pretty good at pumping out backs. I liked their freshmen back this past year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ramonte came right after Kendall, so he probably doesn't get the love like alot of other backs get. Jeremy Wilson was nice, Chancellor, and Jeremiah Henry were also nice backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VonG said:

Dada never left Tyler. 

Yeah I knew he never left, but thought he signed with Alcorn. Or TJC....can't remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Little Winny tied with the almighty Atlanta at half

Did not age well. Atl up 57-39 after 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chevyman said:

Little Winny tied with the almighty Atlanta at half

MV played a really good first quarter and it was downhill from there. Led 17-10 and ended up losing 78-53 to New Boston 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, ANTI said:

They do a terrible job to be perfectly honest, especially on the football side of things.

 

 

you gotta be kidding me...these guys wouldn't get paid, if they blew it VERY often...and I promise they are getting paid for this work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

you gotta be kidding me...these guys wouldn't get paid, if they blew it VERY often...and I promise they are getting paid for this work.

Still not seeing the correlation between collecting a paycheck and ability to perform the job at a high level.

If you think the system is perfect and the very best talent truly are getting the offers, no size bias, good for you.

But I know what my eyes tell me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Still not seeing the correlation between collecting a paycheck and ability to perform the job at a high level.

If you think the system is perfect and the very best talent truly are getting the offers, no size bias, good for you.

But I know what my eyes tell me.

guess we know that you should strike out into that line of work so you can entrust those eyes to get you the $$ you deserve from athletics.

 

some of us that got paid for many years by universities to coach and recruit would have loved to have had your singular knowledge to help us... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Still not seeing the correlation between collecting a paycheck and ability to perform the job at a high level.

If you think the system is perfect and the very best talent truly are getting the offers, no size bias, good for you.

But I know what my eyes tell me.

and no system anywhere is perfect...nothing but Jesus is perfect

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Collins is the first East Texan EVER to be selected to McDonalds All-American game. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

 

 

some of us that got paid for many years by universities to coach and recruit would have loved to have had your singular knowledge to help us... 

Yeah, I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...