Senator Ted Cruz takes trip to Cancun as Texans freeze with no electricity. .

BlahBlah

15 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

What's that going to do ?  He can stay in D.C. there's no need for him down here now.  The thing is I imagine millions of people that had their pipes burst, there dry wall damaged, and their insulation won't receive a dime from the Government for help.  They might get loans, but they'll have to be paid back. 

When trump did that, they called it a distraction

9 hours ago, JETT said:

Trip wasn't planned, he even said so

I only read that he said his daughters wanted to go there, and not when they asked him.  I realize many people aren't taking flights right now so these trips are easy to book.  He left last Wednesday, by Thursday most in the Houston area had their power and water restored.  Some never experienced outages.  Streets were clear from ice and snow.  I was out and about all week long except from Thursday until Friday afternoon when my starter went out.  I'm guessing from the cold.  My mechanic was open on Thursday.  Had he left Monday during the major part of it then I would have more of a problem with it.  He was here during the brunt of the storm.  His dog was left inside the house, and a security guard was taking care of his pup.  Thus no animal cruelty charges as some have been clamoring for.  I'm sure with the money they have they also have a generator.  My neighbor has one, and allowed me to use it for the few things I needed.  Many people from even below average homes have those in the Houston area for when hurricane's and tropical storms hit, but they came in handy for the them during this power outage.  It's still no big whoop to me.  

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

Wrong, He said he was going to stay the weekend.  Ted Cruz admitted it.  End of the weekend was when it warmed up.  

My workplace was up and running at half capacity on Thursday.  We were only closed Monday, but had carry out service Tuesday and Wednesday.  I live near the Willowbrook Mall at 249 and 1960.  I know that east of Beltway 8 to about a quarter of a mile to the west of Veterans Memorial Dr. there wasn't any power.  All other surrounding areas had power except certain parts of Houston.  Cruz could have went to other parts of the state, by helicopter to view the damage done, but to use an automobile in many regions of Texas would have been even worse since others couldn't use those roads.  Many of my friends posted videos of them driving on roads in the East Texas area, but many stayed hunkered down.  

9 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

Flat out :BS:...Ted,just exactly where where does the head of the party live? How many blue collar men make last minute trips to Cancun at a $300/night resort when the power goes out Ted? If it includes waitress, why the opposition to $15 an hour?

“The Republican Party is not the party of the country clubs, it’s the party of steel workers and construction workers and taxi drivers and cops and firefighters and waitresses."

Ted Cruz QPAC speech today

Why oppose it?  Because he understands economics.  He understands that businesses, when forced to double their staff’s wages, will fire half of them or have to double prices to pay them.  Will you pay $16.99 for a whataburger #1 combo?  What about $18.99 for a 4 piece combo at chicken express?  What about $19.99 for bowl at Panda Express?    How do some of you not understand this?

Fast food businesses will suffer from this, when middle class people stop going because a family of four pays $75 to eat at Burger King or whataburger.  Or Chili’s (which is not what I consider a good place) charges what a high end restaurant does?  Passing it on to the customer will cut down on how many customers they have.  Nicer restaurants will have to pay $15/hr instead of waitress wages plus tips.  Good thing is we won’t have to worry about tips if we can even afford to eat at the places anymore.  

23 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Why oppose it?  Because he understands economics.  He understands that businesses, when forced to double their staff’s wages, will fire half of them or have to double prices to pay them.  Will you pay $16.99 for a whataburger #1 combo?  What about $18.99 for a 4 piece combo at chicken express?  What about $19.99 for bowl at Panda Express?    How do some of you not understand this?

Fast food businesses will suffer from this, when middle class people stop going because a family of four pays $75 to eat at Burger King or whataburger.  Or Chili’s (which is not what I consider a good place) charges what a high end restaurant does?  Passing it on to the customer will cut down on how many customers they have.  Nicer restaurants will have to pay $15/hr instead of waitress wages plus tips.  Good thing is we won’t have to worry about tips if we can even afford to eat at the places anymore.  

I don't know how much they get paid (I doubt it's MW), but I went through the drive-thru at my local Whataburger a couple of days ago, and spent $26 for three people. That's nearly $8.70 per person.

5 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

I don't know how much they get paid (I doubt it's MW), but I went through the drive-thru at my local Whataburger a couple of days ago, and spent $26 for three people. That's nearly $8.70 per person.

Good thing they kicked the $15 MW out of the bill.  You can bet they’ll circle back to it soon though

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, BoHogg said:

Flat out :BS:...Ted,just exactly where where does the head of the party live? How many blue collar men make last minute trips to Cancun at a $300/night resort when the power goes out Ted? If it includes waitress, why the opposition to $15 an hour?

“The Republican Party is not the party of the country clubs, it’s the party of steel workers and construction workers and taxi drivers and cops and firefighters and waitresses."

Ted Cruz QPAC speech today

You do realize many all inclusive resorts are in the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and Cozumel.  I found a week long package all inclusive for two people, including airfare for only $1166.  That's extremely affordable.  Had I known how last week was going to be I would have booked my flight too. I realize Ted Cruz wife is a millionaire so she could easily afford it.  He could too making what he does even if it was $1000 a night.