Maxpreps greatest teams of all time

Eagleborn

17 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Not having the 83 Daingerfield Tigers on the list is just plain wrong. 
Those 22 players could match up with any 22 players in high school history. 
Name one team on that list that could hold the 16 teams that Daingerfield  played to 560 FEET on 560 offensive plays. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Not having the 83 Daingerfield Tigers on the list is just plain wrong. 
Those 22 players could match up with any 22 players in high school history. 
Name one team on that list that could hold the 16 teams that Daingerfield  played to 560 FEET on 560 offensive plays. 

Look at the competition they played against. Daingerfield is not holding old 5a teams now called 6a to feet. You can do that against Queen City and etc.

Reason why I say '15 Katy makes a strong case for having the best defense ever. Best I've ever seen for sure.

They absolutely stuffed a high scoring spread Lake Travis offense in the state championship. The 'how' part is what always gets me. They used a quarters 3-4 scheme. What?! Best tackling safeties I've ever seen on one team.

Anything can happen, but I doubt I ever see a defense in my lifetime like that again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonG said:

Look at the competition they played against. Daingerfield is not hold old 5a now called 6a teams to feet. You can do that against Queen City and etc.

Carthage beat 4a Carthage who went to the 4a semi finals. You may want to actually research before you talk. 

In Texas its tough to have discussion because teams rarely play a team that is more than one classification away.  In Louisiana it happens all the time.  I remember one yr, Haynesville (a powerhouse 1a school in Louisiana) beat 5a powerhouse West Monroe.  I think that was in 1994.  And there has been other wins like that across the state in recent yrs.

A decent bigger school should win most of the time, but its not crazy to think a very talented smaller school could beat a bigger school every now and then.  That Daingerfield team was special. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Reason why I say '15 Katy makes a strong case for having the best defense ever. Best I've ever seen for sure.

They absolutely stuffed a high scoring spread Lake Travis offense in the state championship. The 'how' part is what always gets me. They used a quarters 3-4 scheme. What?! Best tackling safeties I've ever seen on one team.

Anything can happen, but I doubt I ever see a defense in my lifetime like that again.

Did you get to see the 83  Daingerfield  D.  I saw them twice in person. 
I have never seen a defense that fast to the ball. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

Did you get to see the 83  Daingerfield  D.  I saw them twice in person. 
I have never seen a defense that fast to the ball. 

And you won't see a defense like that again.  The best defense I've seen since is 2015 Katy, but they weren't even close to doing what that '83 Daingerfield team did.  Add in the 1980 Pittsburg Pirates and the 1975 Big Sandy Wildcats to the list if you want to include inside their own classification.

It's all subjective anyway.  Other states don't have to follow UIL rules.  Most of those schools on the list can legally recruit players, making it an uneven playing field when comparing them to Texas teams. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:21 PM, JTFAN99 said:

In Texas its tough to have discussion because teams rarely play a team that is more than one classification away.  In Louisiana it happens all the time.  I remember one yr, Haynesville (a powerhouse 1a school in Louisiana) beat 5a powerhouse West Monroe.  I think that was in 1994.  And there has been other wins like that across the state in recent yrs.

A decent bigger school should win most of the time, but its not crazy to think a very talented smaller school could beat a bigger school every now and then.  That Daingerfield team was special. 

I enjoyed when Newton was playing and beating teams 2-3 divisions higher than them a couple years back.