Finally! The truth about the electric grid.

Sportsfanatic1

22 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

is Pirkey a coal plant?  If so, it’s only shutting down due to its inefficiency.  Just ask ole 9er.  The fed govt doesn’t regulate power plants, Texas does.  Look it up LOL

It is, and runs on lignite.  Many think that it is not regulated by the Government but it is for the disposal of the ash by the EPA.  https://www.swepco.com/environment/PirkeyEnvironmentalPark.aspx

https://www.aep.com/environment/ccr/Pirkey

Coal Plants do not have a life expectancy of 40 years as has been reported here.  In 2011 there were still 10 plants that were built between 1920-1929 in existence in the United States.  They do have to be maintained and equipment replaced, but they can run for 100 years.  https://www.gem.wiki/Existing_U.S._Coal_Plants

7 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Ok, well maintained flow keeps pipes from freezing also is all I was saying. Nothing to do with what you were saying “over and over”

Exactly, otherwise everyone's pipes would have frozen even with the faucets running.  I just have PVC pipe in my home, and I did not insulate it.  The weatherman reported temperatures as low as 7 degrees.  The main problem was that the power was cut from the grid even to the power plants to continue to operate.  It seems to me they should provide their own power and not be dependent on the grid.  This article also states that they were not winterized as well, but that was not the main reason for the shortage.  Once they flipped the circuits to many areas that produce electricity and the fuels they need they couldn't operate, and the reason we didn't have power and had to borrow it from other states.  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/gas-coal-offline-texas-cold-snap

Abbott caving to leftist pressure now same as he did during the chinavirus shut down hysteria.  No more,  no less. Texans deserve a Governor or preferably,  a President, who can stand up to the leftist mob and their cherry-picked,  partisan noise. Leftists can't have it both ways.  We get a once-in-100 year winter event and suddenly they conveniently forget they've been screaming "we're all melting" over the last 20+ years.  Lunatics.

1 hour ago, Old49er60 said:

Well thanks for the Qanon perspective. Do you live inside the ERCOT system? Just wondering. Betting many in here don’t. 

Your attempts to label me as Q are pure fail.  Ask anyone on here.  I'm an on the record skeptic.  Always have been.  Having said that, are we melting or freezing?  Make up your minds.

10 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Abbott caving to leftist pressure now same as he did during the chinavirus shut down hysteria.  No more,  no less. Texans deserve a Governor or preferably,  a President, who can stand up to the leftist mob and their cherry-picked,  partisan noise. Leftists can't have it both ways.  We get a once-in-100 year winter event and suddenly they conveniently forget they've been screaming "we're all melting" over the last 20+ years.  Lunatics.

Once in a 100 years?  It happens every decade according to some here.   I’ve never seen negative temps in my life in Texas till this last week.  

2 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

Millions losing power as the grid has to institute blackouts. Yes it happens about every ten years for those that live in the ERCOT system. 

It was in the negatives in east Texas and south Texas in 2011?  I guess I was out of town for that.  

Just now, Old49er60 said:

What are you having issues with? It is not talking about the actual temperature it is talking about the need to institute rolling blackouts. If you can not understand that and that it has happened about every ten years I can not explain it any better. 

Why do they have rolling blackouts?

16 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Then I must be 750 years old if this happens once every 100 years.  I can name the times it's happened too, 1979, 1983, 1989, 1996, 2001, 2011, and 2021.  It may have happened before 1979, but I wasn't calling time and temperature all the time before I was 7.  I know it snowed in 1972 and 1974 but I don't know what the temps were, because I have photos, and remember storing snowballs in the freezer for summer.  This happens more often than even every 30 years. It does happen at least every decade.   

5 hours ago, Old49er60 said:

What are you having issues with? It is not talking about the actual temperature it is talking about the need to institute rolling blackouts. If you can not understand that and that it has happened about every ten years I can not explain it any better. 

And why did they implement the blackouts?  The extremely cold weather.  People were using far more energy.  

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Once in a 100 years?  It happens every decade according to some here.   I’ve never seen negative temps in my life in Texas till this last week.  

There's always negative temperatures in Texas almost every winter.  As my Daddy used to say in the 70's the only thing between Amarillo and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence, and I'm sure he heard that phrase as early as maybe the 1920's since he was born in 1921.  The Texas Standard needs to know who their admirals are, because it was Admiral Robert Peary that stated it in 1908.  https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/texas-weather-is-never-normal/

6 hours ago, Old49er60 said:

Millions losing power as the grid has to institute blackouts. Yes it happens about every ten years for those that live in the ERCOT system. 

It didn't happen before 2001 in East Texas or Dallas.  I had never heard of power outages in the winter time until 2001 when it was down for 7 days at my house, and 14 days for several neighborhoods north of Loop  323 in Tyler, TX.  South of the Loop we had power within 2 days, and I was back to work at Spring Creek Barbeque.  I would take sponge baths, since the water was too cold for me at my house.  

This was the third dusting I've had in Houston since 2010.  We've had more snow and sleet on the ground before this, and that's why I was surprised that the power went out.  When it did I didn't see a transformer blow, it was like someone flipped a light switch.  I have seen transformers blow due to spring and summer rain storms.  Nothing like this.  As we see this affected the entire state, except certain areas that were deemed non essential.  I know they kept the power up around hospitals which they should, but they should have shut it down for businesses, and not where people are living.