Wait a minute....

ctown81

20 hours ago, ctown81 said:

My fiance and I dodged that bullet. We got a fixed plan as opposed to a variable plan. 

I've heard Griddy is great when power is being produced at levels that exceed normal usage rates, because the power is purchased at the wholesale price.  Those that are having these high electric bills didn't have their power cut off, and the wholesale rate shot up due to lack of power for much of the rest of Texas.  I think this will turn many away from Griddy, and they should eat the cost to keep their customer base.  Other electric companies already planned for this, but offering contracts at a certain price regardless.  I do know that some offer a fixed monthly electric bill by averaging the cost over the years you've been with them.  That way you know exactly what your electric bill will be each month regardless of how much power you use.  It does go up or down based on your average use for the next year.  I know I used my electricity from Thursday through Friday all day long.  I normally only use my heater at night if my thermostat reads less than 70 degrees.