Data shows wind-power failure was chief cause of massive Texas power shortage

RETIREDFAN1

10 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

If this is a recurring problem, I say stick with solar as a better alternative; Fewer moving parts & faster recovery from the cold. Build large battery banks to ride out the darkness.👌

Much quieter, to boot..👌🤨

Those solar panels aren't going to be generating much power when they're covered in ice and snow, and the clouds are overhead.  I saw more sun last week than I did the week before, but the sun didn't warm up anything.  Plus in the winter they have less time to generate power.  Then you have the toxic ash from dead solar panels that will pollute the environment.  https://grist.org/energy/solar-panels-are-starting-to-die-what-will-we-do-with-the-megatons-of-toxic-trash/

Wind energy is another waste of time.  In addition to it's recycling cost and the use of fossil fuels to keep them going they will kill millions of birds a year including endangered species by 2030.  I know some of you like the taste of quail and duck.  I wonder how much game would be in that count.  https://abcbirds.org/article/wind-power-could-kill-millions-of-birds-per-year-by-2030/

1 minute ago, DaveTV1 said:

Those solar panels aren't going to be generating much power when they're covered in ice and snow, and the clouds are overhead.  I saw more sun last week than I did the week before, but the sun didn't warm up anything.  Plus in the winter they have less time to generate power.  Then you have the toxic ash from dead solar panels that will pollute the environment.  https://grist.org/energy/solar-panels-are-starting-to-die-what-will-we-do-with-the-megatons-of-toxic-trash/

There should be a way to heat trace them to thaw the ice; that or rotate them to a point where the Ice won’t form, then rotate them back after the ice is gone. Solar Has to be less expensive than the turbines. I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t be.

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

There should be a way to heat trace them to thaw the ice; that or rotate them to a point where the Ice won’t form, then rotate them back after the ice is gone. Solar Has to be less expensive than the turbines. I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t be.

What happens when the night falls and that's when we have our coldest temperatures.  Much like my starter that went out those motors will freeze up.  True, the power generated from the solar panels could be used, but the cold does many things to even gears and metal.  That might take more power than what they would generate from homes.  I say stick with what worked in the past for those of us that don't really know how to live in these conditions.  I made it through easily, but I had already learned how to make it through sub freezing temperatures.  I'd prefer the heat, and being above 70 degrees.  

11 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

If this is a recurring problem, I say stick with solar as a better alternative; Fewer moving parts & faster recovery from the cold. Build large battery banks to ride out the darkness.👌

Much quieter, to boot..👌🤨

Nope ..... Increase natural gas production along with shale oil production .....

5 hours ago, mellon said:

I'm all for green energy when it is done right, but don't shut down fossil fuel until you are 100% sure that your green energy can replace 100% of the fossil fuels and at the same price.

You are never going to power the biggest and most powerful jumbo passenger planes,  high performance military jets, locomotives and other large powerful heavy equipment with solar or wind energy ..... not gonna happen .....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Winterize them so they don’t freeze

15 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

You are never going to power the biggest and most powerful jumbo passenger planes,  high performance military jets, locomotives and pother large powerful heavy equipment with solar or wind energy ..... not gonna happen .....

Green new deal will ground planes anyway.  

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

And business travel will be in cars that can only go 200  miles per day.  

I can see it now... A modern day Pony Express, only with ‘lectric cars strategically placed to enable one to travel coast to coast, 200 miles at a jump. The government will own all those cars, so all you will do is pay rent on each car until you reach your destination.🙄😜

1 minute ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I can see it now... A modern day Pony Express, only with ‘lectric cars strategically placed to enable one to travel coast to coast, 200 miles at a jump. The government will own all those cars, so all you will do is pay rent on each car until you reach your destination.🙄😜

And people like John kerry who gave to get places fast to get things done will have to use an electric boat to get overseas, or a plug in car that limits range.  

2 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I can see the government limiting you on how far you can travel too

13 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

What happens when the night falls and that's when we have our coldest temperatures.  Much like my starter that went out those motors will freeze up.  True, the power generated from the solar panels could be used, but the cold does many things to even gears and metal.  That might take more power than what they would generate from homes.  I say stick with what worked in the past for those of us that don't really know how to live in these conditions.  I made it through easily, but I had already learned how to make it through sub freezing temperatures.  I'd prefer the heat, and being above 70 degrees.  

I am totally in favor of natural gas as the best method of heating homes. Heck, I worked in the oil & gas industry for over 35 years. My comments were only meant to address alternative methods of generating energy. Natural gas is far superior & it will be around for another 100 years at least!👌😋

2 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I am totally in favor of natural gas as the best method of heating homes. Heck, I worked in the oil & gas industry for over 35 years. My comments were only meant to address alternative methods of generating energy. Natural gas is far superior & it will be around for another 100 years at least!👌😋

That is correct, with the proper storage of NG even when it freezes off above ground production storage is built to replace lost production. You have to spend some money if you don't want to freeze off and don't expect the stinking engineers who build the stations to cover that kind of stuff I found out the hard way. It only took one time losing a mainline compressor station to install and winterize every fuel gas regular with chemical heaters. Next time we Cadillaced right on through with very few problems 

• Like 1