A Study of I Kings

RETIREDFAN1

I Kings 1

By: Jim Crews

I and II Kings were one book in the Hebrew Bible. The book of kings was written by Jeremiah after the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians. 

I Kings 1: 1 - 4

This book starts with David old and dying. He couldn’t get warm no matter how much cover he had. They brought Abishag, a young woman, to keep him warm. They did not have intimate relations. 

I Kings 1:5 - 8

Adonijah, seeing David’s weakness, decided to make himself king. He had chariots, horsemen, and 50 men. He had never been disciplined by his father. He was also very handsome and born after Absalom. Joab and Abiathar joined him. No one else did. 

I Kings 1: 9 - 10

Adonijah made sacrifices and invited all of his brothers the sons of the king and all the royal officials except for Nathan the prophet and Solomon. 

I Kings 1: 11 - 14

Nathan informed Bathsheba the mother of Solomon about these events and offered advice on how to save herself and Solomon from the rebels. Nathan advised Bathsheba to remind David that Solomon was the heir, and to inform him that Adonijah was usurping the throne. He told her that he would back up her statement with David. 

I Kings 1: 15 - 21

Bathsheba did all this, and informed David about the actions of Adonijah. She told David that he needed to publicly name Solomon as his heir so that she and Solomon wouldn’t be executed by the usurper. 

I Kings 1: 22 - 27

Nathan the prophet came in at that time and told David the same news. 

I Kings 1: 28 - 31

David renewed his vow to Bathsheba that Solomon would be his heir. 

I Kings 1: 32 - 37

David called Zadok and Benaiah to join them. He told them to take Solomon to Gihon and anoint him as king of Israel. 

I Kings 1: 38 - 40

Zadok, Nathan, and Benaiah did as David had told them. Solomon was anointed king at Gihon and the people were with him. 

I Kings 1: 41 - 48

Adonijah’s group heard the uproar. Joab asked what was going on. Jonathan the son of Abiathar brought them the news that Solomon had been named king by David and anointed by Zadok and Nathan. He told them that Solomon now sat on the throne and was acknowledged by David and accepted by the people. 

I Kings 1: 49 - 53

The guests of Adonijah trembled and left. Adonijah feared Solomon and begged for his life. Solomon said if Adonijah were found to be a worthy man then he would be spared. If not, he would be killed. Adonijah paid homage to Solomon and was sent to his home. 

I Kings 2

I Kings 2: 1 - 4

David gave Solomon some advice as he was on his deathbed. He reminded Solomon to follow God’s commandments and he would prosper. 

I Kings 2: 5 - 9

David told Solomon to remember how Joab had overstepped his authority and to not give him a day of peace. David also reminded Solomon of the loyalty of the sons of Barzillai, and asked Solomon to remember to treat them well. David also told about Shimei, who had cursed him. David told Solomon to have him dealt with. 

I Kings 2: 10 - 12

David died after having reigned for 40 years. Solomon took the throne, having already been well established as the heir. Solomon then began to dispose of David’s enemies. 

I Kings 2: 13 - 18

Adonijah came to Bathsheba to ask a favor from Solomon. He had falsely claimed the throne before David officially recognized Solomon as heir. Adonijah asked Bathsheba to ask Solomon if he could have Abishag for his wife. Bathsheba said she would bring it up with Solomon. 

I Kings 2: 19 - 25

Bathsheba asked this of Solomon. Solomon knew it was a plot to take the throne, so he had Adonijah executed that very day. 

I Kings 2: 26 - 27

Solomon did not have Abiathar the priest executed. Instead, he had him thrown out of his priestly office and exiled him. This fulfilled the prophecy of God against the house of Eli. 

I Kings 2: 28 - 35

When Joab heard that Solomon was dealing with all of David’s enemies, he fled to the Tabernacle and grasped the horns of the altar. Solomon was told this, and he sent Benaiah to execute Joab. Joab refused to leave the Tabernacle, so Solomon had him executed inside of it. Benaiah was placed in charge of the army instead of Joab, and Zadok replaced Abiathar as priest. 

I Kings 2: 36 - 38

Solomon had Shimei exiled to a house in Jerusalem. 

I Kings 2: 39 - 46

Two  years after his exile sentence was handed down, Shimei left to go to Gath to find two of his servants. Solomon had him executed for violating his exile. With the executions or imprisonment of David’s enemies and anyone who could challenge for the throne, the kingdom was now firmly established in the hands of Solomon.

I Kings 3

I Kings 3: 1 - 2

Solomon took the daughter of Pharaoh for an alliance marriage. He brought her to Jerusalem. The people were sacrificing in the high places because there was as of then no temple. 

I Kings 3: 3 - 9

Solomon loved the Lord and walked in the ways of David with the exception of offering sacrifices in the high places. He went to Gibeon, one of the high places, to offer 1000 burnt offerings on the altar. At Gibeon, God appeared in a dream and told Solomon to ask for whatever he wanted and it would be given to him. Solomon asked for the wisdom and understanding needed to govern the people of God. 

I Kings 3: 10 - 14

It pleased God that Solomon had asked for wisdom. God told him since he had not asked for a long life, or the lives of his enemies, that He would give Solomon wisdom along with all the things he did not ask for. He would give Solomon riches and honor, and, as long as Solomon obeyed Him, He would give him long life. 

I Kings 3: 15

Solomon woke up, went to Jerusalem, and made an offering at the Ark of the Covenant. 

I Kings 3: 16 - 22

Two prostitutes came to Solomon with a problem. They lived together and both had babies the same age. One had died and one was alive. One of them accused the other of switching the dead baby with the live one. They both argued in front of Solomon that the live child was theirs. 

I Kings 3: 23 - 28

Solomon had a sword brought and told his servant to divide the child between the two. The one woman said give the child to the other, not kill him. The second was indifferent on the matter. This showed Solomon that the first woman was the child’s mother. Israel heard of this ruling and were awed by the wisdom of Solomon. 

I Kings 4

I Kings 4: 1 - 6

Here we have a list of the high officials that served Solomon. This would be like the President’s cabinet in our nation. In other words, bureaucrats. There is nothing new under the sun, as Solomon himself said in Ecclesiastes. 

I Kings 4: 7 - 19

Solomon had a different bureaucrat for each month to provide him and his household food. They are listed for us here. We are also told that there was one governor over all the land. 

I Kings 4: 20 - 21

Israel was happy and at peace during the days of Solomon. Solomon ruled over lands from the Euphrates to the Egyptian border, collecting tribute and servitude from all of them. 

I Kings 4: 22 - 28

Solomon’s daily provisions are listed for us here. He had dominion over all the kings west of the Euphrates. He had peace on all sides of Israel. During Solomon’s reign, all of Israel lived in peace and security. There was no want during his reign. 

I Kings 4: 29 - 34

God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding beyond measure. He spoke 3000 proverbs and wrote 1005 songs. People and kings from all over came to hear his wisdom. 

I Kings 5

I Kings 5: 1 - 6

Hiram, King of Tyre, sent a delegation to Solomon. Solomon told the delegation of his plans to build the Temple. He asked them to have Hiram send cedar wood from Lebanon to do this. He also asked for servants to build the Temple. He promised to pay their wages. 

I Kings 5: 7 - 12

Hiram agreed. Solomon sent him wheat and oil, and he sent Solomon timber and workers. 

I Kings 5: 13 - 18

Solomon drafted 30,000 laborers from among the Israelites. He sent 10,000 a month to Lebanon to work. The laborers had 1 month at work and 2 months off. They quarried great stones to lay the foundation. The construction of the Temple had begun. 

I Kings 6

I Kings 6: 1 - 6

480 years after the Exodus, and 4 years into Solomon’s reign, he began work on the Temple. The dimensions of the Temple and of several rooms are given in this section. 

I Kings 6: 7 

It was built with stone, prepared at the quarry and hauled onsite. This was so the sound of equipment and building would not be heard at the site of the Temple. 

I Kings 6: 8 - 10

Here are more descriptions of the Temple. 

I Kings 6: 11 - 13

God told Solomon as long as he obeyed Him that Solomon would have His Word with him. God would dwell among Israel and not forsake them. 

I Kings 6: 14 - 22

Here is a detailed account of the finishing of the Temple, including the Most Holy Place. It details all the gold used in finishing the Temple. 

I Kings 6: 23 - 28

Here are details about the cherubim built in the inner chamber. 

I Kings 6: 29 - 30

Around the walls were engraved figures of cherubim and palm trees. The floor was overlaid with gold. 

I Kings 6: 31 - 32

The details for the doors at the entrance to the inner sanctuary are given here. 

I Kings 6: 33 - 36

The finishing touches are described here. 

I Kings 6: 37 - 38

It took over 7 years to build the Temple. 

I Kings 7

I Kings 7: 1

While he only took 7 years to build God’s house, Solomon took 13 years to build his own. 

I Kings 7: 2 - 12

Solomon’s house is described in detail. 

I Kings 7: 13 - 14

Solomon brought Hiram, a bronze worker from Tyre who was an Israelite, back to Israel to do work on the Temple decorations and furniture. 

I Kings 7: 15 - 50

Here, in detail, is a description of the building of the interior and furnishings of the Temple. 

I Kings 7: 51

Solomon also brought in all the things that David had dedicated to the Temple while he was still living. 

I Kings 8

I Kings 8: 1 - 11

The Ark of the Covenant, the Tabernacle, and all that was inside of them were brought into the Temple. The Ark was placed in the Most Holy Place. There was nothing inside of it except the tablets of stone that Moses put there at Horeb. A cloud filled the Temple so that the priests couldn’t stand there. The Glory of God filled the Temple. 

I Kings 8: 12 - 21

Solomon brags on his achievement, then blesses God. His blessing relives how he was the one chosen by God to build the Temple. 

I Kings 8: 22 - 26

Solomon leads a prayer dedicating the Temple to God. 

I Kings 8: 27 - 30

His prayer continues, asking God to hear the prayers of him and the people. 

I Kings 8: 31 - 32

He asks God to hear the man who sins against his neighbor and comes to the Temple to be judged. 

I Kings 8: 33 - 34

He asks God to hear Israel when they are defeated and they come to the Temple to repent and beg forgiveness. 

I Kings 8: 35 - 36

He asks God to hear and forgive the people when they come to the Temple in times of drought. 

I Kings 8: 37 - 40

He asks God to hear and forgive the people when they come to the Temple in times of famine, pestilence, and war. 

I Kings 8: 41 - 43

He asks God to hear the prayers of foreigners who come to the Temple to pray if it’s His will. 

I Kings 8: 44 - 45

He asks God to be with His people when they go to battle if they pray towards the Temple. 

I Kings 8: 46 - 53

He asks God that if people sin against Him and they are carried captive, to forgive them when they repent. Solomon acknowledges here that not a single one of us goes without sinning. 

I Kings 8: 54 - 61

Solomon finishes his prayer with a benediction. 

I Kings 8: 62 - 66

Sacrifices were then made to consecrate the Temple. 

I Kings 9

I Kings 9: 1 - 9

As soon as Solomon finished building the Temple and his own palace, God appeared to him once again. God told Solomon that He had consecrated the Temple, and He would be with Solomon as long as he continued to follow His commandments. However, God warned Solomon that if he or Israel fell away to idols that He would remove Himself from the Temple and it would be destroyed. Everyone would know that God did this because Israel left serving Him and went away to idolatry. 

I Kings 9: 10 - 14

When Solomon had finished the Temple and his palace, he gave Hiram 20 cities. Hiram saw the cities and was not pleased with them. 

I Kings 9: 15 - 23

Solomon used forced labor in building the Temple and his palace. He also used this labor to build walls for several cities. He used the people who had originally inhabited Canaan as his laborers. Israelites were not used as slaves. Instead, they served as soldiers and government officials. 550 had charge over the workers. 

I Kings 9: 24 

Pharaoh's daughter left Jerusalem and went to live in the house Solomon had built for her.  

I Kings 9: 25 

Solomon offered burnt offerings three times a year. 

I Kings 9: 26 - 28

Solomon built a fleet of ships. Hiram sent seamen who could sail them and teach Solomon’s men how to do the same. This allowed them to trade overseas, where they brought back 420 talents of gold from Ophir. 

I Kings 10

I Kings 10: 1 - 5

When the Queen of Sheba heard of the wisdom of Solomon, she made the trip to Jerusalem from Ethiopia to test him. She brought a huge entourage with her on the trip. Solomon answered everything she brought up. Her breath was taken away when she saw the wisdom of Solomon and all the things he had built. 

I Kings 10: 6 - 10

She told Solomon she hadn’t believed what had been reported to her. Now that she had seen him, she said her news of him wasn’t even half of what she had found out about him in person. She praised God because of all she had seen. She gave Solomon many gifts, including 120 talents of gold, and many spices. No one ever again brought as many spices as she brought Solomon. 

I Kings 10: 11 - 12

Hiram’s fleet brought Almug wood and many precious gems. Solomon used the wood to make supports for the Temple, as well as lyres and harps. No one ever again brought this much almug wood to Israel. 

I Kings 10: 13 

Solomon gave the Queen of Sheba all she asked for. She returned to Ethiopia. 

I Kings 10: 14 - 22

Solomon received 666 talents of gold in one year. He used that gold to make shields. He also made a great ivory throne with 6 steps and lions guarding it. All of his drinking vessels were made of gold. Silver was considered worthless in the days of Solomon’s reign. His fleet of ships returned every three years with gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks. 

I Kings 10: 23 - 25

He was wealthier and wiser than all the kings of the earth. Everyone who could came to hear his wisdom given to him by God. Every one of them brought even more gifts to Solomon. 

I Kings 10: 26 - 29

Solomon had 1400 chariots and 12,000 horsemen stationed around Jerusalem. Silver was as common and worthless as common rocks during his reign. He imported horses from Egypt and Kue. He traded with the Hittites and all of the kingdoms of Syria. There was an economic boom during the reign of Solomon thanks to God. 

I Kings 11

I Kings 11: 1 - 8

Solomon didn’t heed the warning God gave to Israel about marrying foreign women. God warned that these women would draw them away from Him and to their false gods. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. When Solomon was old, these foreign wives turned him to their false gods. 

I Kings 11: 9 - 13

God was angry with Solomon. He told Solomon the kingdom would be torn from him and given to his servant. For David’s sake, God wouldn’t do this during Solomon’s days, but during the reign of his son. The entire nation wouldn’t be torn away, either, because of God’s promise to David. 

I Kings 11: 14-22

God raised up an enemy against Solomon. Hadad the Edomite rose up against Solomon. He had been in Egypt during most of Solomon’s reign and had endeared himself to the house of the Pharoah’s. 

I Kings 11: 23 - 25

God also raised up Rezan from Damascus against Solomon. 

I Kings 11: 26 - 40

Jeroboam the son of Nebat was also an adversary of Solomon. Ahijah the prophet told Jeroboam he would be given the northern tribes of Egypt. Jeroboam was told his line would reign for as long as they obeyed God. Solomon sought to kill him, but Jeroboam fled to Egypt. 

I Kings 11: 41 - 43

The rest of the things Solomon did were written in a lost book called “The Book of the Acts of Solomon”. God did not choose to reveal this book to us. Solomon died after a 40 year reign. His son, Rehoboam, reigned in his place. 

I Kings 12

I Kings 12: 1 - 5

Rehoboam went to Shechem to be anointed king. Jeroboam, who was hiding in Egypt, heard about this and returned to Israel. Jeroboam led an assembly to petition Rehoboam to lighten their workload. Rehoboam told them to return in three days. 

I Kings 12: 6 - 11

Rehoboam asked advice from two groups of counsellors. The older, wiser group told him to listen to the people and lighten their load. The younger, more impulsive group told him to make the burden on the people even heavier than it had been under Solomon. Rehoboam listened to the younger group. 

I Kings 6: 12 - 15

Jeroboam returned in three days with the assembly of people and was told that their load would become much greater under Rehoboam than it had ever been under Solomon. By not listening to the people, Rehoboam set into motion the prophecy God had made to Jeroboam through Ahijah. 

I Kings 6: 16 - 20

When the people saw this, they rose in rebellion against Rehoboam. His taskmaster was stoned to death. Jeroboam was made king over the rebellious Northern tribes, while Rehoboam remained king over Judah and Benjamin. 

I Kings 6: 21 - 24

Rehoboam was going to lead forces against the North in order to end the rebellion and restore the kingdom to its complete form. Speaking through Shemaiah the prophet, God told them to all go home and not fight against the North. They obeyed God. 

I Kings 6: 25 - 33

Jeroboam feared that if the people from the Northern tribes returned to Jerusalem to worship God, that they’d want to reunite with the South and form one nation again. He built golden calves in Dan and Bethel and told the Northern tribes to worship these instead of going to Jerusalem. The North never turned to God again after this. 

I Kings 13

I Kings 13: 1 - 10

God sent a prophet to Bethel. While Jeroboam was making offerings at Bethel, the prophet cried out against the altar. He prophesied that a king named Josiah would sacrifice the false idolatrous priests on that altar and burn the bones of their predecessors. Jeroboam heard it and stretched out his hand to grab the prophet, but his hand dried up and he couldn’t pull it back. He asked the prophet to pray that his hand might be restored. He did. Jeroboam offered to reward the prophet, but he told Jeroboam God had told him not to eat or drink in that place and to return on a different route than he had come. 

I Kings 13: 11 - 19

An old prophet lived in Bethel. His sons told him about the incident with Jeroboam and the prophet of God. He asked them which way the prophet went, and had them saddle his donkey. He found the prophet of God sitting under an oak and invited him to come eat with him. The prophet of God told the old false prophet that God told him not to eat or drink in that land. The old prophet lied and told the prophet of God an angel had said for him to bring him home with him to eat. The prophet of God believed the lie of the false prophet and went with him. 

I Kings 13: 20 - 25

As he sat at the table, the Word of God came to him and told him he had disobeyed. God told him because of his disobedience his body would not be buried in the tomb of his ancestors. He was killed by a lion and found by men who went and told the old false prophet about it. The lesson here being that if we fall to false teaching, we are no better off than the lost, sinful world around us. God doesn’t change. Once He told the prophet what to do, that was set in stone forever. The prophet should never have listened to anyone else. He did, and paid the price. 

I Kings 13: 26 - 32

The old false prophet brought the body back and buried him in his own tomb. He requested that his sons bury him by the prophet. 

I Kings 13: 33 - 34

Jeroboam did not change, so his house was going to be cut off from the face of the earth. 

I Kings 14

I Kings 14: 1 - 3

Jeroboam’s son Abijah got sick around this time. He told his wife to disguise herself and to seek out Ahijah the prophet in Shiloh. Even Jeroboam knew that his idols were of no use, so he sent his wife to a man of God for help. His wife took some food gifts for Ahijah. Jeroboam told her that Ahijah would tell her what would happen to Abijah. 

I Kings 14: 4 - 5

Jeroboam’s wife did as he told her. Ahijah was blind, but God told him that Jeroboam’s wife was coming to ask about her sick son. God told Ahijah what to tell her. When she came, she was in disguise.

I Kings 14: 6 - 16

Ahijah knew who she was when she walked in, and told her he had unbearable news from God to deliver to her and to Jeroboam. He told her that God was ripping the kingdom from Jeroboam, and his family would suffer for his going away into idolatry. He told her as soon as her feet hit the city, Abijah would die. He would be the only one of Jeroboam’s family who would be buried. Jeroboam was about to be wiped out and his line ended. 

I Kings 14: 17 - 18

As soon as Jeroboam’s wife entered Tirzah, Abijah died. He was buried and mourned just as Ahijah the prophet had said. 

I Kings 14: 19 - 20

Jeroboam ruled for 22 years. 

I Kings 14: 21 - 24

Rehoboam was 41 when his reign began in Jerusalem. He ruled for 17 years.  He did evil. He allowed idols to be put up and male prostitutes to enter the land. 

I Kings 14: 25 - 28

In the 5th year of Rehoboam’s reign, Pharaoh Shishak of Egypt plundered the Temple and the king’s house. He took away all of the gold items that Solomon had made. Rehoboam replaced them with bronze items. 

I Kings 14: 29 - 31

There was continual war between Rehoboam and Jeroboam. Abijam his son reigned after his death. 

I Kings 15

I Kings 15: 1 - 8

Abijam began reigning in Jerusalem in the 18th year of the reign of Jeroboam. He reigned for 3 years. He was sinful like his father and worshipped idols. For David’s sake, God kept him on the throne. There was constant war between Abijam and Jeroboam. Following his death, his son Asa took the throne. 

I Kings 15: 9 - 15

Asa began his reign in the 20th year of Jeroboam’s reign. He reigned for 41 year. Asa did right in the eyes of God. He kicked the male cult prostitutes out of the land and removed all of the idols. He removed his own mother from her office because she was an idolater. He cut her idol down and burned it in the Brook Kidron. However, the high places of idol worship were never destroyed, so the people remained sinful. Asa remained faithful to God. He brought gifts to the Temple. 

I Kings 15: 16 - 24

There was war between Asa and Baasha all the days of their respective reigns. Baasha began building Ramah to keep people from entering or leaving Judah. Asa paid Ben-Hadad, King of Syria, to fight Baasha for him. Ben-Hadad defeated Baasha. Asa built many cities after this. Asa died of a foot affliction in his old age. Jehoshaphat, son of Asa, took the throne after Asa’s death. 

I Kings 15: 25 - 26

Nadab, son of Jeroboam, began his reign in the Northern Tribes in the 2nd year of Asa’s reign in Judah. He reigned for 2 years, doing the same idolatrous evils that his father had brought about. 

I Kings 15: 27 - 30

Baasha conspired against Nadab and assassinated him during a fight with the Philistines. Baasha had all of the house of Jeroboam slaughtered. This fulfilled the prophecy by Ahijah. 

I Kings 15: 31 - 32

Nadab’s reign is covered more in Chronicles. There was war between Baasha and Asa all the years of their reign. 

I Kings 15: 33 - 34

Baasha reigned for 24 years after assassinating Nadab. He was an idolater and evil man like his predecessors. 

I Kings 16

I Kings 16: 1 - 4

The Lord spoke to Jehu the prophet against Baasha. God would sweep away the house of Baasha, who kept Israel in idolatry. Baasha’s relatives and household would not even be given proper burials, but instead they would be eaten by dogs and birds.

I Kings 16: 5 - 7

Baasha died and was buried in Tirzah. Elah, his son reigned briefly in his place. Jehu the prophet spoke God’s judgment against the house of Baasha. 

I Kings 16: 8 - 10

Elah began his reign in the 26th year of Asa’s reign in Judah. He reigned for 2 years. Zimri, his chariot commander, conspired against him and assassinated him when he was drunk. 

I Kings 16: 11 - 14

As soon as Zimri took the throne, he had the entire family of Baasha slaughtered. This fulfilled the Word of God as spoken by Jehu the prophet. 

I Kings 16: 15 - 20

Zimri’s reign lasted for seven days. Omri was placed in power following a military coup. Zimri killed himself by burning the king's house down on top of him. 

I Kings 16: 21 - 24

There was a division in the North. Half of the people followed Omri and half followed Tibni. Omri won, Tibni died, and Omri was made king. He began his reign in the 31st year of Asa’s reign in Judah and he ruled for 12 years. He bought land and built the city of Samaria. 

I Kings 16: 25 - 28

Omri was more evil than his predecessors. He continued in idolatry and in leading the North to worship idols. Omri died and was buried in Samaria. Ahab his son reigned in his stead. 

I Kings 16: 29 - 34

Ahab began his reign in the 38th years of Asa’s reign in Judah. Ahab reigned for 22 years. Ahab was more evil than all of his predecessors. He took Jezebel for his wife and began the worship of baal in the North. He built an altar for baal in Samaria. In this time, Jericho was rebuilt by Hiel. His oldest son was killed in setting the foundation and his youngest son was killed setting up the gates. This fulfilled the prophecy by Joshua. 

Joshua 6: 26

I Kings 17

I Kings 17: 1 - 7

Elijah prophesied during the reign of Ahab. He brought word from God that there was going to be a severe drought. Elijah was told to hide out by the Brook Cherith and he would be taken care of. Elijah obeyed God, and had water from the brook and was fed by ravens twice a day. The drought was so severe that the brook finally dried up. 

I Kings 17: 8 - 16

When the brook dried up, God told Elijah to go to Zarephath. He would find a widow there who would feed him. He found the widow when he arrived at Zarephath. He asked for water and food. She said she didn’t have any food. She was headed home to prepare her last meal and then wait for her and her son to starve. Elijah told her not to fear. God took care of them by keeping their flour and oil full until the end of the drought. 

I Kings 17: 17 - 24

The widow’s son died. Elijah prayed to God and her son was brought back from the dead. This showed the widow that Elijah truly was a servant of God. 

I Kings 18

I Kings 18: 1 - 6

After many days, God told Elijah to go see Ahab and He would bring rain back. Samaria was stricken with a devastating famine. Ahab called Obadiah, his steward, to go with him to check out the water situation. Obadiah was a follower of God, and had hidden and provided for 100 of God’s prophets during the purge brought on by Jezebel. Obadiah went one way and Ahab the other, as they checked out the water situation in the North. 

I Kings 18: 7 - 16

Elijah met Obadiah on his way and told him to tell Ahab that he had returned. Obadiah was worried that Ahab would kill him if he delivered the message that Elijah was back. This was because Ahab had sought him out all over the known world but could not find him. Obadiah was afraid that God would take Elijah away again, and Ahab would be angry and kill him because he couldn’t find Elijah. Elijah promised Obadiah that he would show himself to Ahab that day. So Obadiah told Ahab and Ahab met Elijah. 

I Kings 18: 17 - 19

Ahab saw Elijah and accused him of being the troubler of Israel. Elijah told Ahab it was him and Jezebel who troubled Israel. He told them to bring the 850 false idolatrous prophets who ate at the table of Jezebel to Mt. Carmel. 

I Kings 18: 20 - 29

Ahab did this, and Elijah challenged them to show that baal and asherah were gods. Two altars would be set up, one for baal and one for God. The sacrifices would be laid on the altars, and whoever was the One True God would provide His own fire. The prophets of baal went first. They pleaded with baal to provide fire for their sacrifice. Elijah mocked and taunted them because of the failure of baal to provide fire. It got so desperate for them that they  began to cut and mutilate themselves. Nothing happened because baal was a false idol with no power at all. 

I Kings 18: 30 - 35

Elijah then built an altar like God commanded in the Mosaic Law, using 12 stones. He had a trench cut around the altar and filled it with seeds. He put the sacrifice on the altar and the wood to burn it. He then had it wet down three times. The trench was filled with water. 

I Kings 18: 36 - 40

Elijah prayed to God. Fire from God consumed the sacrifice, the altar, and all the water. The people fell on their faces and believed God. Elijah then had them seize and slaughter the prophets of baal. 

I Kings 18: 41 - 46

Elijah told Ahab to go and eat because the rain was about to come once again to the land. Ahab did this. Elijah went upon Mt. Carmel to pray. After seven times of being sent to check on the rain, Elijah’s servant finally told him that he saw a tiny cloud. He told the servant to warn Ahab that he had better get going or he would be bogged down by the rain. Ahab rode to Jezreel. Elijah was taken to the gates of Jezreel by God and arrived before Ahab. 

I Kings 19

I Kings 19: 1 - 3

Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, even about killing the prophets of baal. Jezebel threatened to have Elijah killed, so he ran from there to Beersheba, which was in Judah. He left his servant in Beersheba. 

I Kings 19: 4 - 8

Elijah went a day's journey into the wilderness and sat under a broom tree. He was depressed, and prayed for God to take his life. Instead, God sent an angel with food and water. This was done twice to prepare Elijah for a journey to Mt. Horeb. The food and drink he was given on these two occasions kept him for the 40 day journey to Mt. Horeb.

I Kings 19: 9 - 18

Elijah came to a cave and lodged there. God asked him what he was doing there. Elijah told Him that he was jealous for Him, because the people continued to worship idols and kill God’s prophets. In fact, Elijah believes he is the only servant of God still alive. God told him to go stand outside. When he did, God passed by in a strong wind that tore the mountains and broke the rock, but God was not in the wind. After this came an earthquake and then a fire. God was not in either one. After the fire was a low whisper. Elijah knew God was in the whisper so he went out and stood at the entrance to the cave. 

The voice asked why he was there, and Elijah repeated what he had said earlier. Elijah was then told to return to Israel by way of Damascus. He was to anoint Hazael as king of Syria. He was to anoint Jehu to be king of Israel, and Elisha to be prophet in his place. Jehu would put to death those who escaped Hazael. Elisha would do the same for those who escaped Jehu. The 7000 that God knew who were in Israel who had not bowed to baal would be spared. God knows everything. 

I Kings 19: 19-21

Elijah does as God told him and chooses Elisha to replace him. 

I Kings 20

I Kings 20: 1 - 6

Ben-Hadad, king of Syria, along with 32 other kings came to battle against Samaria. He ordered Ahab to send all the valuables in Samaria to him. Ahab agreed. Ben-Hadad then sent the messengers back telling Ahab they would be searching his house to make sure he hadn’t kept anything back.

I Kings 20: 7 - 12

Ahab called together the elders to complain that Ben-Hadad was seeking an excuse to conquer Israel, since Ahab had complied with him but he continued to hound him. The elders told Ahab to not comply any more. He told the messengers that he would do the first order, but would not follow the second. They returned to Ben-Hadad with this message. Ben-Hadad began planning to conquer Israel. Ahab taunted him. Ben-Hadad heard the taunt while he was drinking. He had his men positioned for attack. 

I Kings 20: 13 - 15

A prophet of God told Ahab that God would give him the victory that day to show that He Is God. God told Ahab the victory would be achieved through the governors of the districts and their servants. Ahab mustered the 232 governors and their 7000 men. 

I Kings 20: 16 - 18

They went out at noon while Ben-Hadad and the 32 allied kings were drunk. Scouts reported to Ben-Hadad that men from Samaria were coming. They were told to take them alive whether they were coming for war or for peace. 

I Kings 20: 19 - 21

Israel won the battle and Ben-Hadad fled. Just as God had said. 

I Kings 20: 22 

The prophet told Ahab to prepare, because in the Spring, Syria would come again to attack. 

I Kings 20: 23 - 25

The servants of Ben-Hadad counselled him that the gods of Israel were hill gods, and that’s why they had lost to Israel in the hills. They told him to bring the battle out of the hills and to the plains. Ben-Hadad listened to them and planned this.

I Kings 20: 26 - 30

In the Spring, Syria attacked Israel in the plains. A prophet told Ahab since the Syrians had said God was a hill god, then Ahab would defeat Syria now in the plains. Israel killed 100,000 the first day. The rest fled into the city, where the walls fell and killed them. 

I Kings 20: 31 - 34

Ben-Hadad hid in the city. His servants told him they had heard the kings of Israel were merciful, so they put on sackcloth and went out to beg for mercy. Ahab and Ben-Hadad reach an agreement for the return of some cities to Israel, and Ahab spares his life and releases him. 

I Kings 20: 35 - 43

A prophet told a man to hit him. The man refused, and since this was disobedience to God’s Word, the man was struck down by a lion and killed. The prophet told another man to hit him, and this man did as he was told, wounding the prophet. All of this was to show Ahab his mistake in allowing Ben-Hadad to live. Ahab would be required by God to pay for this with his life. 

I Kings 21

I Kings 21: 1 - 4

Naboth had a vineyard next to Ahab’s palace in Jezreel. Ahab offered to buy it, but Naboth refused to sell. Ahab sulled up and acted childish over this. 

I Kings 21: 5 - 7

Jezebel asked what his problem was. Ahab told her about Naboth refusing to sell his vineyard. Jezebel asked Ahab who ruled Israel? She told him she would deliver the vineyard to him. 

I Kings 21: 8 - 14

Jezebel had the elders set up a feast for Naboth. She also had them pay off two men to falsely accuse Naboth of cursing God. All of this came about and Naboth was executed. 

I Kings 21: 15 - 16

As soon as they heard that Naboth was dead, Jezebel and Ahab took possession of his vineyard. 

I Kings 21: 17 - 19

God tells Elijah to go meet Ahab in the vineyard of Naboth. He is to tell Ahab that dogs will lick up his blood the same way they did the blood of Naboth. 

I Kings 21: 20 - 24

Elijah finished God’s prophecy by saying that the house of Ahab would vanish and be replaced on the throne. Jezebel would be eaten by dogs. None of his relatives will be buried, but instead they would be eaten by dogs or birds, depending on where they were killed. 

I Kings 21: 25 - 26

Ahab was more evil than anyone, and Jezebel was the one who enticed him to this evil. 

I Kings 21: 27 - 29

When Ahab heard this prophecy, he repented. God accepted his penitence and held off the fulfillment of the prophecy until the days of Ahab’s son. 

I Kings 22

I Kings 22: 1 - 4

Israel and Syria had peace for 3 years. Then Ahab decided to retake Ramoth-Gilead. He asked for help from King Jehoshaphat of Judah. Jehoshaphat agreed to ally Judah with Israel to retake Ramoth-Gilead. 

I Kings 22: 5 - 12

Jehoshaphat wanted to inquire of God about the coming battle. Ahab gathered 400 of his own prophets, who said go into the battle and they would be victorious. Jeshoshaphat wanted to hear from a prophet of God. Ahab told him that there was one named Micaiah. However, Ahab hated him because he never prophesied anything good for him. Zedekiah, one of the false prophets, made horns and pushed them forward, telling the kings this was how they would push Syria. Every single prophet of Ahab prophesied victory. 

I Kings 22: 13 - 23

The messenger sent to Micaiah told him all the prophets were speaking good of the coming battle, implying that Micaiah should do this too. Micaiah said he would speak what God told him to speak. Micaiah prophesied that Ahab would die at the battle. 

I Kings 22: 24 - 28

Zedekiah hit Micaiah. Ahab had him imprisoned and said he should remain until he returned in peace. Micaiah said if Ahab returned in peace, then God had not spoken though him. 

I Kings 22: 29 - 36

Ahab disguised himself, because evidently he believed Micaiah’s prophecy that he would die in the battle. The Syrians were under orders to find and kill the king. They found Jeshoshaphat, but soon realized he wasn’t Ahab. Ahab, who was disguised, was hit by a random arrow and mortally wounded. He died later that evening. 

I Kings 22: 37 - 40

Ahab was brought to Samaria and buried. His chariot was washed and the dogs licked his blood. Prostitutes bathed in the water. All this in fulfillment of the prophecy. Ahaziah reigned after Ahab. 

I Kings 22: 41 - 44

Jehoshapat the son of Asa reigned in Judah. He began his reign at age 35 and ruled for 25 years. He followed the ways of Asa, and did right in the sight of God. However, he did not destroy the idolatry that was being followed by the people. He also made peace with the kings of Israel. 

I Kings 22: 45 - 46

He did exterminate the remaining male cult prostitutes that Asa had missed. 

I Kings 22: 47

There was no king in Edom at this time. A deputy filled that slot. 

I Kings 22: 48 - 50

Jehoshaphat had ships sent from Tarshish to Ophir for gold, but they wrecked at sea and never made it. Ahaziah wanted to send men from Israel with the men from Judah on ships, but Jehoshaphat would not allow this. Jehoshophat died and Jehoram his son reigned in his place. 

I Kings 22: 51 - 53

Ahaziah began his reign over Israel in the 17th year of the rule of Jehoshophat in Judah. He followed the evil ways of Ahab his father and Jezebel his mother. He served and worshipped baal as his parents had done, which angered God.