$15/hr minimum wage

DB2point0

Todays federal mw is $7.25 an hour. The federal mw from 1968 would be worth (in todays $) over $12 an hour when adjusted for inflation. In other words...low skill workers today are making $5 an hour less than their grandparents made doing the same jobs. We have devalued the labor of low skilled workers to the point that for some/many of them going to a job is no longer worth it. No one thinks that a ditch digger should make the same as a brain surgeon...but working has to be profitable for the workers too...and not just for the owners, executives and investors. Btw, I do not favor a $15 mw...but I would not oppose "catching up" the mw to where it was half a century ago.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Todays federal mw is $7.25 an hour. The federal mw from 1968 would be worth (in todays $) over $12 an hour when adjusted for inflation. In other words...low skill workers today are making $5 an hour less than their grandparents made doing the same jobs. We have devalued the labor of low skilled workers to the point that for some/many of them going to a job is no longer worth it. No one thinks that a ditch digger should make the same as a brain surgeon...but working has to be profitable for the workers too...and not just for the owners, executives and investors. Btw, I do not favor a $15 mw...but I would not oppose "catching up" the mw to where it was half a century ago.

Well said and I agree 

36 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

How, or where, did you get the $12 figure?    I guess I’m asking how do you figure inflation from 1968?

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Just heard on talk radio if the $15/hr minimum wage does pass, to expect about 3.7 million jobs to be lost. 

glad to see Sen. Manchin opposing this.  He has a little common sense

Ole Manchin is opposing this until they take the actual vote--then we'll see if he is a man of conviction or just another party line idiot. I hope for a man of conviction, but my belief he is just another guy to tote the water for the democratic party and uncle joe. 

If we had real politicians that cared about the country and the people, they could come up with a solution through compromise, but neither party is going to do that. 

But a sane thought would be:

Make the minimum wage for workers under the age of 18--$8 dollars an hour. 

Once a person has their High School Degree--the wage goes to $11-12 an hour. I'll even add a stipulation--if they are attending college, taking more than 12 hours a semester, then they can get $13 an hour. 

Another requirement would be that who ever is working, MUST be a US citizen, or they have been E-Verified and are LEGAL to work in this country. 

And we MUST cut back all of this "federal unemployment" benefits--because that alone would reduce the unemployment rate drastically--because as stated in another thread (by me)--there are 6.5 MILLION jobs open right now. That would cut our supposedly 11 million unemployment by more than half. Plus the way I see it, if more people are working, more taxes are being paid in, more people are buying things, meaning that more stuff needs to be made, meaning that more people would have to make it, meaning more jobs. 

But then again, that is a common sense solution--there isn't much of that out there. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm curious to know how many people in the U.S. actually make minimum wage.

Idk...but anyone making less than $12.29 an hour...and that is millions and millions of workers...are making less than the federal minimum wage in 1968 (when adjusted to todays $)

12 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Ole Manchin is opposing this until they take the actual vote--then we'll see if he is a man of conviction or just another party line idiot. I hope for a man of conviction, but my belief he is just another guy to tote the water for the democratic party and uncle joe. 

Fwiw...Sen Manchins daughter is/was the CEO of Mylan Pharmaceuticals when Mylan jacked up the price of an epipen by 600% in less than a decade.

6 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Another requirement would be that who ever is working, MUST be a US citizen, or they have been E-Verified and are LEGAL to work in this country. 

E-verify has been around for a long time...probably 15 years or so...and no administration has seriously tried to make it mandatory. I always thought it was odd that Trump...for all his bluster about stopping illegal immigration...never pushed for it either. Making e-verify mandatory would do more to stop illegal immigration than any wall ever could by cutting off the economic incentive to violate our laws. Too bad the dems want illegal immigraton because they want to use third world migrants to change the racial demographics of the US for their own political gain...and the "Chamber of Commerce" wing of the GOP (Greed Over People) want illegal immigration to ensure and endless supply of exploitable workers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnjoyLife said:

E-verify has been around for a long time...probably 15 years or so...and no administration has seriously tried to make it mandatory. I always thought it was odd that Trump...for all his bluster about stopping illegal immigration...never pushed for it either. Making e-verify mandatory would do more to stop illegal immigration than any wall ever could by cutting off the economic incentive to violate our laws. Too bad the dems want illegal immigraton because they want to use third world migrants to change the racial demographics of the US for their own political gain...and the "Chamber of Commerce" wing of the GOP (Greed Over People) want illegal immigration to ensure and endless supply of exploitable workers.

It's political suicide for them to make E-verify mandatory--because like you said, one party wants voters, the other exploitable workers. But if you want compromise and be able to raise the minimum wage--then these are the types of things that need to be set up to assure that US Citizens are getting taken care of--not ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

How many in Texas making minimum wage are receiving assistance in form of food stamps, Medicaid, etc and what is the cost to taxpayers per year? How many workers in Texas under $15 an hour receiving similar assistance and cost to taxpayers per year?

And your solution would be to give them more? 

1 hour ago, BoHogg said:

How many in Texas making minimum wage are receiving assistance in form of food stamps, Medicaid, etc and what is the cost to taxpayers per year? How many workers in Texas under $15 an hour receiving similar assistance and cost to taxpayers per year?

Over the last 40 years or so $trillions that should have gone to worker wages has instead been funneled to corporate coffers and investors. That is why the stock market is at record highs...and so is demand at food banks. The business community has enjoyed historically high profits while wages stagnated (or worse) and the taxpayers were stuck with the tab.

3 minutes ago, gamewatcher63 said:

Why not $20? Why not $30? What’s the limit for a “living wage”? Let’s just have everybody make the same...then I can quit my job I have now where I’m subject to random drug and alcohol tests. 

I like your style. 
THATS IT, EVERYONE GETS $100 AN HOUR! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

There weren’t near as many “deadbeats” looking for a handout back in ‘68, either...