'Luv Ya Blue,' Bum and Earl too: When Houston and the Oilers were the NFL's perfect match

The Oilers didn't just capture the Houston area at that time they captured the entire state.  I remember that time period and before and most people I knew were fans of the Oilers and the Cowboys even before then.  When the Oilers started winning you would see people wearing Oilers and Cowboys gear it didn't matter that during that time they sort of became rivals on the gridiron.  I remember the 1979 Thanksgiving Game, and it was probably the first and only Cowboys loss that I didn't have a sinking feeling about the loss.  Had the Texans been able to resurrect the Oilers logo and colors then I would have been a Houston Oilers fan again.  They didn't.  Now unlike the 70's and 90's, Houston has grown a hatred for all things Dallas.  It didn't help that a rivalry was also started between the Astros and Rangers.  There once was a rivalry with San Antonio with basketball, but I don't ever recall one with the Mavericks.  

Yep. I was never a proper Oilers "fan" per se, but I always appreciated their appeal. When it came to them and the Cowboys, I always preferred the Oilers.

Earl Campbell. Dan Pastorini. Warren Moon. Jerry Glanville. Run & Shoot. Good times. 

17 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

There once was a rivalry with San Antonio with basketball, but I don't ever recall one with the Mavericks.  

? -- The Tim Duncan teams with Dirk's teams that went to the conference championship and then won the title. 

Have you seen the last 20 years of the NBA records, where the Spurs have the best record in basketball and Dallas is #2...Houston is #3...

7 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

? -- The Tim Duncan teams with Dirk's teams that went to the conference championship and then won the title. 

Have you seen the last 20 years of the NBA records, where the Spurs have the best record in basketball and Dallas is #2...Houston is #3...

I was comparing only Houston teams with other teams in the state.  I realize the Spurs and Mavericks had a heated rivalry.  The Spurs actually began in Dallas as the Chaparrals.  The only time I remember Houston and San Antonio having a rivalry was when George "The Iceman" Gervin was with the Spurs vs. Moses Malone and then Olajuwon.  The Rockets have never had a rivalry with either team in the past 20 years though some will say it is.  It's more made up between the Texans and Cowboys but they've only played each other 5 times in the past 19 years.  The Cowboys on the other hand played the Texans in preseason from 1967-1996.  Since the Texans came to be they only play sporadically in the preseason for The Governor's Cup missing games in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2020.  

• Like 1

Grandpa was a Cowboys fan, Dad was a Oilers fan. Warren Moon and Troy Aikman. Jack Pardee and Jimmy Johnson. Lorenzo White and Emmitt Smith. Drew Hill and Michael Irvin. All those guys were equal to me as a kid. The Bills comeback win in the playoffs over the Oilers hurt just as much as anything Dallas has done the past 25 years. Late 80s we went to San Antonio and caught the Oilers training camp. Ray Childress scared the crud out of me. Biggest human being I’d ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those were fun days, still waiting on that door to be kicked down though--after staying up all night for that pep rally in the "Dome"--you really wanted to see them "kick the door down". Also sad it never happened. Still have all my Oiler sports cards, pennants, and Derrick Doll Calendars. 

• Like 1