Dak Prescott’s New Contract

52 minutes ago, Stoney said:

He better not demand a trade in the next year.  I wouldn't have signed him to a long term contract, until I knew if he could come back at the level he was at before his injury.  I know the Redskins just released Alex Smith, and he's the reason they made the playoffs with his 5-1 record.  I haven't even heard of how his recovery has been progressing.  

12 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

He better not demand a trade in the next year.  I wouldn't have signed him to a long term contract, until I knew if he could come back at the level he was at before his injury.  I know the Redskins just released Alex Smith, and he's the reason they made the playoffs with his 5-1 record.  I haven't even heard of how his recovery has been progressing.  

The other option is to tag him at 37mil for one year. By signing him now, he only counts for 21 mil against the cap. That opens up more money for free agents to fix our God awful defense. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

His hands were tied. They should have got the deal done last year.

At least we're not Philadelphia. They have a 33 million cap hit this year for a QB that's not even on the team. 

And Dallas is paying their QB less to actually play for them. Just relax folks. Everything will be fine. Besides Dallas doesn’t spend big money in free agency. They use it to plug gaps in case the draft board doesn’t go their way.

Dak needs to prove he can deliver during crunch time against the better teams. Passing for 500 yards against the dregs of the league does not mean much when you are 1-9 against teams with a winning record. Ok Dak...you are being paid like an elite QB...it is time to earn it.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:58 AM, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

His hands were tied. They should have got the deal done last year.

At least we're not Philadelphia. They have a 33 million cap hit this year for a QB that's not even on the team. 

Hands were tied my arrse ... they should have released him after his contract expired .... no way in hades is he worth half of what they signed him for .... They screwed the pooch on this one .... they would be just as well off with carrot top considering that the entire team is in dumpster fire rebuilding mode anyway  ....  Jerruh might as well be burning piles of money ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

On 3/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

this was part I was concerned about...I was hoping there not a no trade clause and we could do a sign and trade right now for Watson or Wilson...geez we are killed 

The kiss of death ....

I thought Battered Aggie Syndrome was bad. 😂 Hope springs eternal folks. R-e-l-a-x. Watch Dallas suddenly get cap room to make moves. Not huge moves because Dallas(Stephen Jones) doesn’t like to spend in free agency. Dallas will be healthier. Dallas will have QB1 for a full season. Dallas will get help on the defense. Dallas just needs to go from awful on defense to just being average. Put away the pitchforks and torches. It’s going to be okay.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I thought Battered Aggie Syndrome was bad. 😂 Hope springs eternal folks. R-e-l-a-x. Watch Dallas suddenly get cap room to make moves. Not huge moves because Dallas(Stephen Jones) doesn’t like to spend in free agency. Dallas will be healthier. Dallas will have QB1 for a full season. Dallas will get help on the defense. Dallas just needs to go from awful on defense to just being average. Put away the pitchforks and torches. It’s going to be okay.

Based on what?

Here's where I'm at with both Dak, and my expectations...

I like Dak. He seems to be a good guy, and I do think he's a good QB...good, not great. I also think he's very inconsistent, and NOT worth $40M a year. 

Since Dak took over in 2016:

- He's 19-5 against the NFC East. 79% winning pct.

- He's 23-21 against everyone else. 52% winning pct.

- He's 12-21 against teams with a winning record. 36% winning pct. 

The ONLY season Dallas has been successful (outside the NFC East) since Dak took over, was in 2016. They have not had a winning record outside the division since then; they have not had a winning record against teams with a winning record since then. 

The OL is not what is was a couple years ago. 

Zeke rarely seems motivated anymore, and even when he is, he still goes down easily. 

The defense is just absolutely awful. 

The only way Dallas is successful, IMO, is if they catch lightning in a bottle. 

Excerpt From Yahoo Sports :

If Amazon lands the rights to "Thursday Night Football" and it’s a lucrative experience, it's expected that the next target down the line will likely be the Sunday and Monday night franchises — and maybe even a totality of carrying as much of the NFL rights that Amazon can get its hands on.

For competing networks that are already holding the league’s broadcasting rights (ESPN, NBC, Fox and CBS), the implicit message is simple: If you want to keep carrying the NFL’s product, there is a brand new bully on the block to deal with in the coming years. And the best way to deal with that bully is to box it out from as much content as possible. Everyone better go to the table with their best and richest deals now, because the bigger the foothold Amazon gets now, the worse it will be for the other networks down the line.

All of this steers back to Dallas and Prescott. Of course, it’s pure speculation that Jones would suddenly cave to putting Prescott onto a historically lucrative path over the next decade. And as we’ve written before, the Cowboys had serious motivations to get this deal done now after essentially fighting it for two years. But it’s also fair to suggest that nobody understands the financial realities of the television deals better than Jones. And it’s worth noting that the NFL has made enough progress over the past month on the broadcasting rights deals that they are expected to land soon. Maybe as soon as the end of March.

Regardless of the timeframe, Jerry Jones knows what’s coming for the NFL’s bottom line. And the contract he just agreed to with Prescott suggests he’s extremely bullish on being able to afford blowing out a quarterback salary for the next 10 years. But the deals coming for the NFL might change everything, making Prescott’s lightning strike look like a modest spark.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stoney said:

$17m. Cut Chris Jones, Maurice Canady, Darian Thompson, Rashard Robinson, Deante Burton, Garrett Gilbert/Cooper Rush, Justin Hamilton, Steven Parker, Adam Redmond. That’s roughly $10m. $27m in cap space. You can still work the books if you need more cap space. 

Team Free Agents-

Older guys who are replaceable ( Crawford, Lee, Looney.) Young guys who never panned out (Awuzie, Lewis.) Most of the rest are practice squad guys. 

Tyrone Crawford

Sean Lee

Andy Dalton

Cameron Erving

Joe Looney

Blake Bell

Aldon Smith

LP Ladouceur

Joe Thomas

Chidobie Awuzie

CJ Goodwin

Justin March

Jourdan Lewis

Malik Turner

Antwaun Woods

Eli Ankou

Greg Senat

Xavier Woods

Noah Brown 

Cedrick Wilson

Chris Westry

You have a healthy Dak. Zeke is declining. Pair him with Pollard and a healthy o-line, Dallas should be okay this year. You can get out from the Zeke deal next year. Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Jarwin, Schultz isn’t a bad group of pass catchers. Tyron is a old 30. La’el has question marks. Anything more than 2 games from them is a huge improvement. Connor Williams is steady. Biadasz/McGovern have center covered. Zack Martin is still playing at a high level. Dallas needs to upgrade from Knight and Steele.

Tank and Gregory are good ends. They just need another rusher and someone on the interior who can force teams to double team. 3T (Gallimore, Hill) is still more potential than production. That needs to change in year 2,3. Dallas needs a honest to goodness 1T. It helps your ends, it keeps your LBs clean. Jaylon Smith should be a June 1st cut. LVE has shown flashes but not enough to warrant picking up his 5th year option. 

The secondary has issues. Diggs and Brown are the only CBs you can trust. Donovan Wilson showed flashes at safety but has nobody to play the free safety. This is where Dallas needs to focus their attention in the offseason. It’s a passing league. 

The o-line stays healthy then this offense has shown it can put up numbers. This defense needs to do whatever it can with a new DC to improve. Dallas was 23rd ranked Defense, KC was 15. Get the players to help Quinn fix that. 

6 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Hands were tied my arrse ... they should have released him after his contract expired .... no way in hades is he worth half of what they signed him for .... They screwed the pooch on this one .... they would be just as well off with carrot top considering that the entire team is in dumpster fire rebuilding mode anyway  ....  Jerruh might as well be burning piles of money ....

Please tell me who you would sign in his place if you cut him. This is the way the qb market is going. If you have a top 10 qb, you sign him. I would love to hear your rationale behind why you don't like him. 

2017- Matt Stafford 5yr/$135m(salary cap $167m)

2018- Matt Ryan 5yr/$150m (salary cap $177.2m)

2018- Aaron Rodgers 4yr/$135m(salary cap $177.2m)

2019- Russell Wilson 4yr/$140m(salary cap $188.2m)

2019- Jared Goff 4yr/$134m(salary cap $188.2m)

2019- Carson Wentz 4yr/$128m(salary cap $188.2m)

2020- Patrick Mahomes 10yr/$477m(salary cap $198.2m)

2021- Dak Prescott 4yr/$160m(salary cap $182.5m Covid year)

#1 overall picks- Stafford, Goff (both traded)

1st round picks- Stafford, Ryan, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz, Mahomes 

3rd Round pick- Wilson, 4th Round Pick- Dak

1st round QBs since ‘16- Goff, Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Jordan Love

Good or bad the going price for a starting QB in today’s NFL is what it is. Which of those QBs took a “team discount?” The Tom Brady argument is an outlier. It’s the exception to the rule. The salary cap has increased every year except this year. The NFL’s tv contracts are up. Those get renewed that means more money. More money means bigger cap. Stafford’s deal was a monster 4 years ago. Now it’s a cheap deal. Same as Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. If you want to not sign Dak and draft a first round QB, look at the 18 taken since 2016. It’s a crapshoot. How many sure things are busts? Every QB drafted in 2016 is either out of the league or on a different team than the one that drafted. The only one who isn’t is Dak. 

13 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Please tell me who you would sign in his place if you cut him. This is the way the qb market is going. If you have a top 10 qb, you sign him. I would love to hear your rationale behind why you don't like him. 

Prescott is not the guy I sink franchise QB money into.  Like Romo, he's not going to get you a SB ring.  When healthy, he's a competent game manager when he can be protected.  The Cowboys can't protect him and they can't seem to run the ball with any consistency either.  Even if he was a top franchise QB, he would be wasted in that offense.  Jerruh has tons of holes on defense and offense that need filling and shelling out that much money on Prescott isn't going to help the overall team. Jerruh should just #### it up and play carrot top and try and upgrade the O line and defense with the money he is blowing on Prescott, who may or may not be healthy enough to play at a high level.  Jerruh should have drafted a blue chip QB and brought him along slowly while rebuilding the rest of the team ...

Jerruh is as incompetent a GM as Matt Millen was in Detroit ....

1st round QBs since ‘16- Goff, Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Joe Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Jordan Love

18 first round QBs since 2016. Blue chippers. How many panned out and how many have flamed out? Let’s add Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariotta, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden,  Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow. That’s every 1st round QB since 2010. Andrew Luck was hyped as the greatest QB prospect since Peyton Manning. How did that turn out? Patrick Mahomes was such a sure thing that he slipped to pick 10. Drafting a QB in the 1st round isn’t a guarantee of nothing. In 2016 Dallas tried to trade up with Denver to draft Paxton Lynch. How would Cowboys fans like that? Tony Romo breaks his back and gets replaced by a guy who’s out of the league in 3 years. 0A2C1AC2-670D-430A-AD73-8136D54E556B.jpeg

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Prescott is not the guy I sink franchise QB money into.  Like Romo, he's not going to get you a SB ring.  When healthy, he's a competent game manager when he can be protected.  The Cowboys can't protect him and they can't seem to run the ball with any consistency either.  Even if he was a top franchise QB, he would be wasted in that offense.  Jerruh has tons of holes on defense and offense that need filling and shelling out that much money on Prescott isn't going to help the overall team. Jerruh should just #### it up and play carrot top and try and upgrade the O line and defense with the money he is blowing on Prescott, who may or may not be healthy enough to play at a high level.  Jerruh should have drafted a blue chip QB and brought him along slowly while rebuilding the rest of the team ...

Jerruh is as incompetent a GM as Matt Millen was in Detroit ....

2020- before he was hurt, he was leading the league in passing yards.

2019- he was the 8th ranked passer. His WRs also led the league with 36 dropped passes.

2019 stats: 388 of 596 (65.1%) for 4,902 yards (8.2 yards per attempt), 30 TDs and 11 INTs; 71.2 QBR; 52 carries for 277 yards and three TDs

In regard to Jerry, he overpaid Jaylon Smith and Zeke. Our OL was trash last year without Collins or Tyron Smith. There are definitely holes on the defense. However, as previously mentioned by the Cowboys signing Dak now, they have over 25 Mil in cap space. They should keyword should be able to fix some of the problems on defense with free agents and the draft. I'm not here to tell you that Jerry is a great GM, but Dak is a franchise QB.

• Thanks 1