Triple Option Teams

BigWhoop

14 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Most hs are running it these days. Now they just call it an RPO. The third option is the receiver. Now if you're talking old school triple option. I have no idea.

Ctown is 💯% correct. All this spread RPO is option. Even reading the same 2 guys, EMLOS and force player. Burleson Centennial and Midlothian are 5A schools in the same district that runs flex bone triple.

Santo, Rose bud lott used to, Gladewater Sabine did a few years ago. I mean any offense like Liberty hill with the slot t and Rains when they ran it had a variant of the Triple option. But like true navy style there are just a few. 

2 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

Burleson Centennial and Midlothian are running it.  

One of the godfathers in Texas to run it is still the head man at Richardson Berkner.  His name is Jim Ledford.

If you're looking for a guy "around" the SETX area look up Rick Prater.  He knows it very well.

Ledford actually retired a couple weeks ago I believe.

10 hours ago, randomuser said:

Ctown is 💯% correct. All this spread RPO is option. Even reading the same 2 guys, EMLOS and force player. Burleson Centennial and Midlothian are 5A schools in the same district that runs flex bone triple.

No doubt. Put someone in conflict and make a read! Nothing new!!

18 hours ago, hsfootball21 said:

Ledford actually retired a couple weeks ago I believe.

Oh wow!  I was not aware of that.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his family.  I know it gets said on here a lot but he's an even better man than a coach and he's definitely a great coach.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, ctown81 said:

Most hs are running it these days. Now they just call it an RPO. The third option is the receiver. Now if you're talking old school triple option. I have no idea.

Good point ... I do see several spread option attacks on the horizon that are interesting ... Brennan Marion's GoGo Offense has received some attention in the last few years (although kind of on hold after he was hired as an assistant at Hawaii and recently to Pitt) ... and I understand a lot of people are looking hard at Chadwell's Coastal Carolina theories ... the full house spread may be evolving ... Texas HS football has a long history of option type attacks going back into the Sixties ... it seems to be in the shared DNA.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:02 AM, nationalpastime said:

Burleson Centennial and Midlothian are running it.  

One of the godfathers in Texas to run it is still the head man at Richardson Berkner.  His name is Jim Ledford.

If you're looking for a guy "around" the SETX area look up Rick Prater.  He knows it very well.

I think Ledford just retired.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, DOB said:

Good point ... I do see several spread option attacks on the horizon that are interesting ... Brennan Marion's GoGo Offense has received some attention in the last few years (although kind of on hold after he was hired as an assistant at Hawaii and recently to Pitt) ... and I understand a lot of people are looking hard at Chadwell's Coastal Carolina theories ... the full house spread may be evolving ... Texas HS football has a long history of option type attacks going back into the Sixties ... it seems to be in the shared DNA.

Coastal Carolina and Gunter are very, very similar. Obviously, being from Canadian, I’m an air raid guy. However, my two favorite offenses to watch and study are Briles Veer/Gouge and Gunters triple option. I believe they are the most fun to watch when they are clicking.