NFHS Broadcasts for Football in 2021

Matt

I've been watching the NFHS broadcasts of the girls and boys state basketball tournaments. Paid $70 for an annual subscription. Man, I am hoping the UIL is going to allow home teams to stream their home and away football games again in 2021 and not go with NHFS exclusively, i.e., not allow teams to stream their home and away games. It's NOT that it's horrible . . . but the quality of the broadcast just isn't up to par compared to what home teams can do. I have watched several really fine broadcasts -- has anyone seen Texas High? Good grief, it's like Sunday afternoon NFL. Tyler was awesome, and Pine Tree was excellent.

The NFHS announcers know very little, if anything, about the teams and individuals they're broadcasting. I mean, it's the state basketball tournament. I'm not expecting Craig Way or anything but . . . again, I'm not ripping these guys, they're fine. But technically, the feeds slip / buffer so much, sound goes away sometimes, they have bad angles, the scores aren't always right, etc... they do have instant replay, which all of us who stream have that. I may just be talking to myself here but I hope the powers that be allow us to do it -- even if we have to pay a fee to the UIL, we would here in Jacksonville. @MattStepp 

• Like 3

• Matt changed the title to NFHS Broadcasts for Football in 2021

NFHS had been my recommendation to people...over TexanLive for several seasons.

But NFHS was a bad product in 2020. It was nothing more than a buffer king, especially any game that was played at GlobeLife.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Ended my subscription in December.

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

NFHS had been my recommendation to people...over TexanLive for several seasons.

But NFHS was a bad product in 2020. It was nothing more than a buffer king, especially any game that was played at GlobeLife.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Ended my subscription in December.

How does it do for the middle school games? Have some relatives playing and thought about getting a subscription to watch. Can you pay month to month or get a free trial?

18 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

How does it do for the middle school games? Have some relatives playing and thought about getting a subscription to watch. Can you pay month to month or get a free trial?

Subvarsity/MS games were good. Im thinking because of lower traffic.

Month to month payments, I don't think theres a free trial.

• Like 1

I bet live broadcasts end this fall. 

They want fannies in the stands buying tickets and eating concessions. 

It was a one time thing for the Pandemic IMHO. 

Delayed replays return this fall I think 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Part of me hope they do part of me don’t. TL being a part of DCTF now might change some mind. But they did do state championships in hoops and it lacked a lot of the time so who knows. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I think maybe, just maybe, the UIL leaves it up to the individual schools

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think maybe, just maybe, the UIL leaves it up to the individual schools

I hope so.  I personally think it’s a good idea to stream. Even though I don’t miss games in person. I want to be there. 

But I think most schools see the broadcasts as hurting attendance.... thus costing them ticket money, concession money, booster money.... etc etc 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I hope so.  I personally think it’s a good idea to stream. Even though I don’t miss games in person. I want to be there. 

But I think most schools see the broadcasts as hurting attendance.... thus costing them ticket money, concession money, booster money.... etc etc 

Politics hurt attendance more than anything.  However, there are pay options that you can do through YouTube etc if you want/need revenue, which goes back to your point and the point I made to my AD.  If you charge $6 at the gate, but stream for free, you are going to lose half of the people who just don't want to pay.  

• Like 2

I have never been impressed with the NFHS announcers.  I saw this weekend, they didn't know how to pronounce Clarendon.  They could at least ask how to pronounce it if they weren't sure.  

A couple of years ago, my daughters team won state in volleyball and the guy announcing that had no idea on volleyball terminology or rules.  The VB coach from Weatherford was trying to help him out, but the entire broadcast was a beat down due the guy.

• Like 1

Back in the late 1990s and 2000s, I had the opportunity to do some TV for East Texas cable in football playoffs. I remember doing the semifinals game (color guy) in December 2000 at Texas Stadium between JT and FM Marcus. It was fun... but I just didn’t know anything about either team. I’m sure I butchered some names, too. My point is.... it’s just a better broadcast when the commentators know at least one team really well. Even if they are homers, so what? So I give some grace to the NFHS guys because they come in cold. Appreciate everyone’s feedback and comments! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Back in the late 1990s and 2000s, I had the opportunity to do some TV for East Texas cable in football playoffs. I remember doing the semifinals game (color guy) in December 2000 at Texas Stadium between JT and FM Marcus. It was fun... but I just didn’t know anything about either team. I’m sure I butchered some names, too. My point is.... it’s just a better broadcast when the commentators know at least one team really well. Even if they are homers, so what? So I give some grace to the NFHS guys because they come in cold. Appreciate everyone’s feedback and comments! 

1997 was that Semi finals game.   That loss still hurts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:28 AM, Mavchamp said:

I have to agree. By allowing individual schools to stream games, they not only provide a broadcast of games to those who cannot (or choose not) to attend because of a variety of reasons, along with (in many cases) providing some of the bigger high schools "media kids" to be able to get some "real-world" experience in broadcasting! Someone mentioned Texas High, Tyler ISD, and Pine Tree (which was outstanding), but other schools had their students produce a good product.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieHardCubFan said:

I have to agree. By allowing individual schools to stream games, they not only provide a broadcast of games to those who cannot (or choose not) to attend because of a variety of reasons, along with (in many cases) providing some of the bigger high schools "media kids" to be able to get some "real-world" experience in broadcasting! Someone mentioned Texas High, Tyler ISD, and Pine Tree (which was outstanding), but other schools had their students produce a good product.

We let our hourly IT staff make some extra $$$ and connected it to our radio broadcast 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, Matt said:

Couldn’t read the article as I’m not a subscriber... what’s the gist of it? 

The UIL lifted its Friday night broadcast ban for the 2020 football season, in a supposed one-time move necessitated by the Covid-19 pandemic and the capacity restrictions that were put in place across the state.

With the offseason quickly winding down and Covid-19 restrictions being loosened across the state, many questions are being asked about the possibility of live Friday night broadcasts for the 2021 season.

As of now there is no word from the UIL regarding the status of the Friday night broadcast ban for the 2021 season, but there should be movement that comes down sometime in the summer. According to multiple sources, an informal survey among the THSCA has already been taken and the response was more than positive for the ban to be lifted.

A survey regarding the Friday night broadcast is being sent out to school superintendents in the next couple of weeks that could be quite influential towards a potential UIL Legislative Council decision.

One interesting potential plot twist to the decision-making process will be that currently UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt still has the ability to make decisions without the approval of the Legislative Council, based on the emergency measures put into place last spring at the start of the pandemic. Will that potential unilateral decision-making power be extended, or will we see a return to a more normal operating process within the UIL soon?

Another factor to consider is stricter local guidelines surrounding Covid-19; local school districts can still possibly limit attendance for the 2021 football season, which complicates matters even further. Most sources believe there’s more support for lifting the Friday night broadcast ban at the larger schools, but much less support exists for the lifting of the ban in the smaller schools.

One possible “compromise” for the 2021 football season may be treating football broadcasts on Friday night like other sports and how football broadcasts are handled for Thursday and Saturday night games, which involves the mutual agreement of both participating schools.

Expect some clarity surrounding the rule to come in June or possibly with an announcement at the 2021 THSCA Convention in San Antonio.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, Matt said:

I've been watching the NFHS broadcasts of the girls and boys state basketball tournaments. Paid $70 for an annual subscription. Man, I am hoping the UIL is going to allow home teams to stream their home and away football games again in 2021 and not go with NHFS exclusively, i.e., not allow teams to stream their home and away games. It's NOT that it's horrible . . . but the quality of the broadcast just isn't up to par compared to what home teams can do. I have watched several really fine broadcasts -- has anyone seen Texas High? Good grief, it's like Sunday afternoon NFL. Tyler was awesome, and Pine Tree was excellent.

The NFHS announcers know very little, if anything, about the teams and individuals they're broadcasting. I mean, it's the state basketball tournament. I'm not expecting Craig Way or anything but . . . again, I'm not ripping these guys, they're fine. But technically, the feeds slip / buffer so much, sound goes away sometimes, they have bad angles, the scores aren't always right, etc... they do have instant replay, which all of us who stream have that. I may just be talking to myself here but I hope the powers that be allow us to do it -- even if we have to pay a fee to the UIL, we would here in Jacksonville. @MattStepp 

I had no issues when I watch the EF games on there last yr and the announcers was pretty good with the play by play

On 6/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, trueblue82 said:

The status of live-streaming games is probably on hold until the UIL figures out which way will make them the most money. 

Let 'em charge a flat rate. We're good for it. 

• Like 2