2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

Texas High- After struggling in 5A Div I football the last few years, the Tigers dominated in their new Div II digs with a district championship and an impressive (11-1) season.  They look to remain on top in 2021.

Pine Tree- The Pirates are coming off their best season since 1976 at (9-2-1).  They had a generational ATH in DJ Freeman at QB.  The Bucks are looking to replace and continue their success in 21.

Whitehouse- The Wildcats are coming off an (8-3) season and will have a new HC on the sidelines to keep things headed in the right direction.  WH has become an annual playoff contender...but winning in the post season has been a struggle.

Nacogdoches- The Dragons made some noise in 2020.  At (5-5) they snatched up the final playoff slot and ended Marshall's domination of the district.  Nac is looking to take the next step and become a district title contender.

Marshall-  The district championship streak ended.   The long consecutive district winning streak ended. The long playoff streak ended.   Some big off season staffing changes and a year of experience should have the Mavs back on track after a very disappointing (5-5) in 2020.

Mount Pleasant-   The Tigers didn't win many games in 2021, but they were competitive.  As always seems to be the case for MP.... depth will be the biggest issue, not lack of athletes.    

Jacksonville-  In spite of their 1-9 record, the Indians were competitive in most of their games. Lack of depth usually lead to second half blowouts.  But Jville has talent; particularly on offense. 

Hallsville- The Bobcats only played 6 games last season due to COVID-19.  They were winless on....and off the field.  They have an uphill battle ahead of them in 2021, but they are never short of athletes on the field.

• Thanks 1

Predicted 2021 Maverick Schedule 

Aug 27:  at New Caney
Sep  03:  at Longview
Sep 10:  McKinney North
Sep 17:  OPEN DATE
Sep 24:  at Pine Tree
Oct 01:  Jacksonville
Oct 08:  at Texas High
Oct 15:  Whitehouse
Oct 22:  at Mt. Pleasant
Oct 29:  Hallsville
Nov 05:  at Nacogdoches

• Like 1

Interesting that Marshall is keeping McKinney North and dropping Carthage.  I'm sure Carthage will be scrambling for games again because I believe they lost three to 5A teams last year that they couldn't replace.  COVID has made the scheduling a mess these last two years.

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I would like to keep the current  non district schedule but I believe he will go back to the original one with Greenville Lufkin and Tyler High.

Nac will play original Non-distirct Schedule

Kilgore

Lufkin

Tyler High

Open-

Whitehouse-Away

PT-Home

MP-Home

Jax-Away-Our first trip to the new tomato bowl

Hallsville-Home

TH-away

Marshall-Home

53 minutes ago, ontheinside said:

Interesting that Marshall is keeping McKinney North and dropping Carthage.  I'm sure Carthage will be scrambling for games again because I believe they lost three to 5A teams last year that they couldn't replace.  COVID has made the scheduling a mess these last two years.

I’m not sure why/how McN ended up remaining on the schedule. I think everyone involved would prefer a game Vs Carthage. 

Hopefully it returns in 2022. 

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Nac will play original Non-distirct Schedule

Kilgore

Lufkin

Tyler High

Open-

Whitehouse-Away

PT-Home

MP-Home

Jax-Away-Our first trip to the new tomato bowl

Hallsville-Home

TH-away

Marshall-Home

Forgot to switch Kilgore with greenville.  Not looking forward to the WH trip for obvious reasons. 

A few coaching changes for the Mavs this offseason. 

CJ Lottinger is returned to Marshall as the OL coach.  This is HUGE.  He was the diving force of so many of our best seasons in the past.  Had a successful stint in Longview too.  He's already made a huge impact since returning.  The OL has been a glaring problem the last two seasons for Marshall.  OL struggles absolutely killed our offense the last two years having QB's running for their lives and running back having no lanes to run through.  Should be a huge improvement in 2021.

Arron Cupp will assume the offensive coordinator position.  He was the Co-Offensive Coordinator last season with Zac Quinlan, who left for Farmersville to be their OC (4A-D2).  Good move IMHO.  

More info as it comes in.

3 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

It seems most schools are reverting back to the pre-COVID schedules. Teams that aren't may leave the original opposing team in a tough spot. Will be interesting 

I was expecting that for us. 
Esp our game with Carthage. 
I think both communities have expressed interest in the game.
Not sure why it didn't work out.  I'd like to hear the reasoning.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, The Real Mavfan said:

One thing for sure Marshall will be road tested with only 4 home games and only 2 home games in the first 7 weeks of the season.

Crazy thing is....I originally had heard the McNorth game was going to be in McKinney again...or a neutral site.

I guess they worked it out to be a home game for us.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, Mavchamp said:

I’m not sure why/how McN ended up remaining on the schedule. I think everyone involved would prefer a game Vs Carthage. 

Hopefully it returns in 2022. 

I expect that with all the scrambling to fill the schedule last year (i.e. having to replace Carthage due to the late 5A-6A start) McN only agreed to play if it was a two game deal.....I'd expect Carthage to be back on the schedule in 2022.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mavchamp said:

Crazy thing is....I originally had heard the McNorth game was going to be in McKinney again...or a neutral site.

I guess they worked it out to be a home game for us.

I mean as well as that first game at that stadium went for y'all... lol

On 4/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, LoboFan07 said:

I mean as well as that first game at that stadium went for y'all... lol

It WAS a good game for us.

BUT.......It was the last game of the season our offensive line showed up.  Last game the OC showed up.  And the last solid performance by the QB (although the previous two points affected the third point IMHO).

Sure.....we won several games after that game....but they were all lackluster wins against lackluster competition.  We should have dominated those wins....but we didn't.  Should have upset Whitehouse...but we didn't.

PT and THS just punched us in the mouth.

-----------

Good things being reported so far this spring.

Can't wait for Spring Ball......

2020 was an aberration IMHO.  Perfect storm of bad luck.

2021 we get back on track.

It’s my understanding that Jacksonville will revert back to the pre-Covid schedule. In 2020, we had to replace Palestine and Henderson in non district with Cleburne and Nederland. So we will open at Crandall, play Palestine, then Hendo.... bye week.... then the 7 game 9-5A district schedule. 

Texas High will once again be a threat statewide.

Hallsville will be the basement team...that's another 'sure' thing.

Now, 2 thru 7 is hard to call.

Whitehouse just loss their HC, I can't really figure out Marshall or Nac, PT losing a big group but talent remains, MP and Jax have pieces...even a few getting college looks...I just wonder how those pieces fit.

Last season our season came down to two things in my eyes......

1.  Abysmal offensive line play.  Lazy.  Pedestrian.  Uninterested.  They actually got worse as the season progressed IMHO.  Poor effort, poor technique, poor teaching, poor learning.  It was a total and complete disaster.  

2.  A pass-centric QB that didn't have the skill set to run for his life.  IMHO...if Burris would have had a decent O-line to protect him he may have shattered a few passing records.  But.... that OL had him scrambling all night long and that simply wasn't his thing.  He wasn't a scrambler.  He was a pocket passer.  

The defense deserved better than they got last season.  The offense betrayed them all season long.  I think both the WH and the Nac games were winnable.  Texas High and PT flat out dominated us.... 

Looking forward.....

Having Coach Lottinger back in Marshall taking over the offensive line is HUUUUUGE.  I think the OL will be much improved.  New faces across the line... fresh start.  Reports from the offseason have been VERY encouraging.  

The QB race will be a good one.  Olvera and Sloan will be the front runners....  Both have strong arms.  Both are mobile.  Olvera played some last season until he broke his hand in the Jacksonville game.  It was a big blow... he added a dimension to the offense we didn't have before he stepped up.  Sloan lead the freshman team to a (7-3) season.  He could be special.  He's been going to camps and been very active.  Already getting some attention.

I honestly think 2020 was a blip and not a trend.  It was our weakest team in almost a decade and they still lost to both WH and Nac by one possession.  

Gonna wait till I see some spring ball......but feeling pretty good about 2021 right now.

Pine Tree's schedule has been released

Varsity Football Schedule is below

Aug. 19th - 7:00 PM - Gilmer - HOME - Scrimmage 

Aug. 27th - 7:30 PM - Liberty Eylau - HOME 

Sep. 3rd - 7:30 PM - Lindale - HOME

Sep. 10th - 7:30 PM - Kilgore - AWAY

SEPT. 17th     ------- OPEN -----------

Sept. 24th - 7:30 PM - Marshall - HOME - District Game

Oct. 1st - 7:30 PM - Nacogdoches - AWAY - District Game

Oct. 8th - 7:30 PM - Jacksonville - AWAY - District Game

Oct. 15th - 7:30 PM - Texas High - HOME - District Game - Senior Night

Oct. 22nd - 7:30 PM - Whitehouse - AWAY - District Game 

Oct. 29th - 7:30 PM - Mt. Pleasant - HOME - District Game - Homecoming

Nov. 5th - 7:30 PM - Hallsville - AWAY - District Game 

41 minutes ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

Pine Tree's schedule has been released

Varsity Football Schedule is below

Aug. 19th - 7:00 PM - Gilmer - HOME - Scrimmage 

Aug. 27th - 7:30 PM - Liberty Eylau - HOME 

Sep. 3rd - 7:30 PM - Lindale - HOME

Sep. 10th - 7:30 PM - Kilgore - AWAY

SEPT. 17th     ------- OPEN -----------

Sept. 24th - 7:30 PM - Marshall - HOME - District Game

Oct. 1st - 7:30 PM - Nacogdoches - AWAY - District Game

Oct. 8th - 7:30 PM - Jacksonville - AWAY - District Game

Oct. 15th - 7:30 PM - Texas High - HOME - District Game - Senior Night

Oct. 22nd - 7:30 PM - Whitehouse - AWAY - District Game 

Oct. 29th - 7:30 PM - Mt. Pleasant - HOME - District Game - Homecoming

Nov. 5th - 7:30 PM - Hallsville - AWAY - District Game 

That's a really impressive non-district schedule PT has pulled together.  Total opposite of what we've seen them do in years past.

Lindale (13-3) was a state runner up.... Kilgore was (10-4) last season.  LE struggled at (6-5) but no one is dumb enough to think they are an easy win.

Going to be interesting to see how the Pirates adjust to life without DJ.  He's one of those generational players that schools only have a few times.  He was special.  Can they win without him?  I think the Pirates are the most interesting team in the district headed into 2021.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

That's a really impressive non-district schedule PT has pulled together.  Total opposite of what we've seen them do in years past.

Lindale (13-3) was a state runner up.... Kilgore was (10-4) last season.  LE struggled at (6-5) but no one is dumb enough to think they are an easy win.

Going to be interesting to see how the Pirates adjust to life without DJ.  He's one of those generational players that schools only have a few times.  He was special.  Can they win without him?  I think the Pirates are the most interesting team in the district headed into 2021.

I agree, but the sad reality for PT is they needed those few years of playing teams like Bullard. Confidence is a good thing that be contagious and is probably why they had a softer non-district schedule the past few years. Basically all I am saying is it did more for those kids at PT who only ever knew getting stomped by Kilgore to go put a 50+ burger on Bullard for a few years rather than getting slapped around by Carthage or Longview. I hope it works out for them now, I think it will now that the culture has changed.

Lindale was in our district before dropping down to 4A and you know as well as I do, they were competitive in our district every year (could've called them making a deep run in the playoffs) glad to be playing them again. Have some really good kids and coaches.

Kilgore is always a rough week for PT I think two years ago they beat Kilgore for the first time in 20 years. They play a tough game and PT hasn't been a program designed for tough ground and pound football, Kilgore normally wears them down. PT's defense looks to be impressive this year though, and the PT program grew up a lot last year may have started to become a tougher team, we shall see.  

I do not know much about LE other than the obvious. Not an easy win...could be a game where PT has found the succession plan for DJ or they look elsewhere. 

It's going to be interesting to see what they do without DJ, all good programs have to find a way to replace players, harsh reality is kids grow up LOL!!! I think you know what comes after a generational player like him though. More will want to be the next one, just a matter of who wants it. Definitely exciting time for PT Football, will be a different year for sure, last year was great but it's time to move forward, isn't that the correct mentality to have?