2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

• 3 weeks later...

Red and White game update: 

Marshall had their Spring Scrimmage last Friday.  Sorry I haven't had a chance to talk about it much.  But here are a few points.....

1.  The defense likely will be stronger in 2021 than it was in 2020.  In spite of Marshall's very disappointing (5-5) season last year... the defense had a stellar year most of the season outside of the Longview and Texas High games.  Most of the Mavs' district losses were due to the total ineptitude of the Marshall offense than a porous defense.  Turnovers and critical mistakes by the offense put the defense into some impossible situations all season long.  If the offense can cooperate just a little more this season.... the defense could be special.  Defense was the bright spot for Marshall last season thanks to their less than spectacular offense.  An improved defense...... with an improved offense could make this defense one of the best we've seen since 2015 or 2018 (both of which were region semi-final teams).

2.  Coach Lott returning to Marshall is already paying off.  The crux of the problems last season was an offensive line that progressively got worse as the season instead of better.  Some of that was due to injuries... some was changes in personnel.......but some of it (appeared) to be flat out lack of effort/laziness.  While the O-line was shaky in games that we won early on like New Caney and McKinney North.... it got U G L Y as the season progressed.  Teams with any semblance of a defense could make the offensive line fold like a wet peices of paper.  Lowlight games included Pine Tree and Nacogdoches.  Welcome back Coach Lott.  Effort and energy are 1000Xs better than last season.  I think this will be the most improved area from last season... and that was the panic button issue.  Time will tell how much improvement we will see.  I'm betting on night and day.

3.  Looks like we have found our quarterback.  Replacing outgoing senior QB Burris was another top priority headed into the spring.  Burris marked the 20th+ consecutive season (I'd have to do some research as to how many consecutive) that Marshall had a 1,000 yard passer.  That was no small feat given the O-line's struggles.... they didn't make it easy for him.  The Mavs turned their attention to Olvera and Slone as the future signal-callers.  Both got lots of snaps over the spring.....and I'm sure both will see plenty of 7 on 7 action this summer.  Nothing is set in stone....but I have a feeling the coaching staff will settle on one as the starter soon.  We could see both behind center in certain situations this coming fall.  Olvera had some playing time last season before breaking his hand in the Jacksonville game.  He's very mobile guy.... and has a strong arm.  STRONG.  His upperclassman leadership will be valuable no matter where he is on the field.  Slone will be a sophomore this fall.... and he's already getting scout's attention.  He lead the Marshall freshman to a (7-3) record last year.  The guy has a cannon of an arm.... he's got some pinpoint accuracy.  Mobile legs that let him move when flushed out of the pocket makes him dangerous.  His growth will need to be learning progressions and reads.  He could be special by the time his junior and senior seasons come around.

4.  Buck Buchannan is one of the top kickers in the state.  Kicking world has already declared him FBS ready.  Last season he made sure returns were not a problem by booming kick after kick out of the endzone.  For PAT's last season he was an astounding 97%.  His punts kept Marshall in several games with an average just over 42 yards per kick.  He had a long punt last year of 56 yards.  While at the Kicking World camp in Dallas back in April.... he tied a long-standing camp record with a couple of 75 yard punts with hang times in the 4.3 second range.  her

5.  The WR corps could be VERY interesting .   A couple of underclassmen from last season will return...... and some good hands from the JV team will move up.  Remember the name Chi Chi Robinson.  He had a stellar track season and he's been working with Mav WR great Tajh Washington (at U of Memphis now) this spring as well.  BUT the biggest additions to the WR corps could be a couple of transfers from EF.  Montana Warren transferred to Marshall this spring.  He had nearly 500 yards receiving last season for the Jackets.  Another transfer from EF could be headed to MHS after this school year... and would be another WR addition.  Stay tuned.

6.  Biggest question mark is running back.  For the last 5-6 seasons Marshall has employed a running back by committee approach.  It's been a while since we've had a star RB with a 1000+ yards.  Instead it's been a stable of runners all with their fair share of yards.  Looks like more of the same in 2021.  Had high hopes for a beast RB this spring...but a torn ACL/MCL has likely sidelined him.  

------------

Not sure if any of this adds up to a successful season in 2021....but there's some excitement in the air about this team.

Obviously Texas High will be the big dog in the district this fall.  The question is.... can we close the gap we had last season with PT, WH, and Nac?

Only time will tell!

GO MAVS GO!

Nac Spring Game Thoughts

QB Battle-Nac has a Junior and Senior battling it out for the QB1 spot. Both looked sharp in Saturday's scrimmage. Based on what I saw the Junior performed just a little bit better.  The most athletic QB prospect Nac has had in a long time will be a freshman this coming year and will insert himself into the conversation on Varsity in 2022.

Secondary-The secondary is loaded with height and speed, Nac has reloaded in the secondary and should perform well. Brandon Jones oldest brother has moved to safety/slot corner and has bulked up. 

Defense-As a whole this defense is bigger and faster than I remember any defense from Nac in the last 10 years. Brandon Jones younger brother is at middle linebacker and has also been in the weight room in the off season. He has already started collecting offers and looks the part of a D1 Linebacker. This defense is big up front, fast and mobile at the second level and long and fast on the back end. 

Offensive line-The Dragons are replacing 3 starters up front and they looked pretty good considering how well the defense played. 

Running Back-Nac has a nice rotation at RB-ranging from big bruising RB/FB and a few scat backs that have breakaway speed.

WR-This years group will be one of the fastest groups Nac has thrown on the field. The WR is 6 deep with 2 returning starters. Drops will be the concern, and was our biggest problem last year. 

This is Allmans first full offseason since he was hired late in the spring of 2019, after spring practice had started and Cov-id took his offseason last year. I like the Dragons chances to compete for a top 4 spot for sure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Nac Spring Game Thoughts

QB Battle-Nac has a Junior and Senior battling it out for the QB1 spot. Both looked sharp in Saturday's scrimmage. Based on what I saw the Junior performed just a little bit better.  The most athletic QB prospect Nac has had in a long time will be a freshman this coming year and will insert himself into the conversation on Varsity in 2022.

Secondary-The secondary is loaded with height and speed, Nac has reloaded in the secondary and should perform well. Brandon Jones oldest brother has moved to safety/slot corner and has bulked up. 

Defense-As a whole this defense is bigger and faster than I remember any defense from Nac in the last 10 years. Brandon Jones younger brother is at middle linebacker and has also been in the weight room in the off season. He has already started collecting offers and looks the part of a D1 Linebacker. This defense is big up front, fast and mobile at the second level and long and fast on the back end. 

Offensive line-The Dragons are replacing 3 starters up front and they looked pretty good considering how well the defense played. 

Running Back-Nac has a nice rotation at RB-ranging from big bruising RB/FB and a few scat backs that have breakaway speed.

WR-This years group will be one of the fastest groups Nac has thrown on the field. The WR is 6 deep with 2 returning starters. Drops will be the concern, and was our biggest problem last year. 

This is Allmans first full offseason since he was hired late in the spring of 2019, after spring practice had started and Cov-id took his offseason last year. I like the Dragons chances to compete for a top 4 spot for sure. 

That's good to hear. I want to see how they look when they scrimmage Legacy and play Tyler. I really want to see Nac do well in football. 

I think Texas High is the HEAVY favorite again. 

Nac will be improved imho. Marshall will be improved. 

PTs gotta learn life without DJ.  That’s hard to overcome. He was a generational player.  Can they move on without him? 

WH has lots of people to replace AND a new coaching staff.  How quickly will they adapt?  Will they continue the existing systems or overhaul everything?  Tough call for the Wildcats on what to expect. 

That’s the top 5 fighting for 4 spots.   Lots of unknowns. 

Should be fun. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall will be improved. 

It will be interesting from Marshall’s stand point. I know you’re hoping for last year to be a blip, but how will Mav Nation feel if a similar year as last season happens in 2021? 

Will there be calls for a coaching change?

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

It will be interesting from Marshall’s stand point. I know you’re hoping for last year to be a blip, but how will Mav Nation feel if a similar year as last season happens in 2021? 

Will there be calls for a coaching change?

Honestly.... it depends how it all goes down, really.

I personally don’t like the idea of a coaching change yet again.  Especially with all the success in facilities we’ve had in the last 2 years.  It’s been unbelievable.  So many positives happening it’s unreal.  And more is coming and being planned.  That deserves some patience IMHO.  

But at the end of the day.... wins and losses matter.  I get it.  

If we have a repeat of 2020..... the heat will no doubt be turned up. Fair or not. 

Will it be enough to make a change?  Who knows. Like I said ... it depends on how it all goes down. 

If we’re competitive and it looks like progress is being made towards 2022... even if we fall short.... I think things are safe for another year. 

BUT.....if we squat and have any semblance to last season.... I think changes will be inevitable. 

I DO think last season was a blip.  Is that Homer thoughts?  Maybe.  But historically... a season like last year was bound to come.  We had an unbelievable run from 2015-2019.  Two district losses in 5 years.  4 district titles.  7 consecutive  playoff seasons.

We knew it was going to end. And 2020 was it. THS got realigned, PT had a generational player give them their best season in 40 years.  Nac improved.  We had our weakest team in almost a decade.  

It was a perfect storm of bad luck, poor O-line play... a pocket passer QB  being forced to run for his life.... lack of a running game.   Some odd OC call playing..... 

Our offense was pitiful. Period. PITIFUL. 

Defense had us 10-7 at half Vs Pine Tree.  It was 14-10 at the break Vs Nac.  Lost to WH by only one score.....the defense deserved better than (5-5).  

If the offense is just a little better in 2021.... this team will be much improved.  

Especially with what should be an even better defense than last season.

All indications this spring show the offense WILL be significantly better. At least at the O line.  But we may have a sophomore Qb.  But he’s got some impressive skills sets.  

I won’t say it’s definitely playoffs or bust in 2021.  Just have to see how it all goes down.  

But it could very well be playoffs or bust in 2021. 

Personally....I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.   I think we see big improvements in 2021.  

Coach Lott back on the OL is huge.  

A change at OC was sorely needed... and we got that.  I’m Thrilled about it.  

#fingerscrossed 

Cant wait to see some 7 on 7 action. I may change my mind one way or another. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

PTs gotta learn life without DJ.  That’s hard to overcome. He was a generational player.  Can they move on without him? 

I think many may be expecting PT to take a sizable step back without DJ....I think there will be some sort of step back but I still see them as a playoff team. 

There's talent out in West Longview and Lane is doing a good job of getting the most out of them. They aren't ready to play with a Texas High until defense becomes a larger emphasis but I don't think that 2 seed is out of the question. 

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

I think many may be expecting PT to take a sizable step back without DJ....I think there will be some sort of step back but I still see them as a playoff team. 

There's talent out in West Longview and Lane is doing a good job of getting the most out of them. They aren't ready to play with a Texas High until defense becomes a larger emphasis but I don't think that 2 seed is out of the question. 

PT had a freshman DL that was pretty good last yr.  I noticed him at the scrimmage with Tyler High last yr.  I think he already has offers. 

5 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

PT had a freshman DL that was pretty good last yr.  I noticed him at the scrimmage with Tyler High last yr.  I think he already has offers. 

Yep, Dealyn Evans. Several offers....but they have others too and some speed. They were pretty fast on the track this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Yep, Dealyn Evans. Several offers....but they have others too and some speed. They were pretty fast on the track this year.

ok.  I new that kid was d-1 after 5 snaps at freshman scrimmage.  I hope they can keep things going at PT. Tough to replace that qb though.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, Eagleborn said:

He anything like his brother?

He is a very good young player. He is a different player from his brother. He isn’t as fast but he is bigger, FB/MLB. He is a sophomore and legitimate D1 prospect. the middle brother  is more the type of player as Brandon. He hasn’t shown the same flash as Brandon but has potential to play in college probably not D1.

A little late to the discussion for the upcoming 2021 season but here to throw out a couple of initial thoughts  on the Pine Tree Pirates.

The Pirates are coming off a 9-2-1 season that will return 3 Offensive & 6 Defensive starters along with a total of 19 lettermen.

Obviously, replacing DJ Freeman and 7 starters  on that side of the ball are big concerns.

However, the Defense that was much maligned for many years and rightfully so...was vastly  improved in 2020. 

The Defense held 4 opponents to one single Offensive score with both Marshall and Nacogdoches included in back-to-back District opening wins (24-7) & (34-7).

So this season will open up as a total flip from years past...with the Pine Tree Defense leading the way.

The Pirates have an impressive array of talent in both size & speed returning on Defense in 2021.

I'll go more indepth on a future post.

RJ

• Like 2