2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

9-5A Div II:  Week 1 Match-ups
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East-  MP is returning more back on offense than any other team in 9-5A.  That spells good news for the Tigers because they could spend the offseason working on depth instead of replacing a ton of starters.  Considering depth has been the Tigers biggest issue for YEARS... this is an excellent step in the right direction.  They have a bevy returning on defense too....which again...allowed them to look at depth in the roster.  If the coaching staff pulled it off this spring.... the Tigers could be a thorn in many sides this season.  I'm not ready to call them contenders yet....but things could be looking up.  Often times MP would be in close games at the half to see them slip away because of depth/exhaustion issues.  If that has been shored up..... those close halftime scores could spell some close games at the end...and maybe an upset or two.   Wylie East seems to be WAYYYY down from where they were just 4-5 years ago.  Picked to finish dead last in their highly competitive 5A Div I district.  I'm taking MP for the win.

They're gonna be much, much better this season IMO. We could see it already during 7v7 this summer. Honestly would be shocked to see MP win at Wylie, but hoping for them to.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They're gonna be much, much better this season IMO. We could see it already during 7v7 this summer. Honestly would be shocked to see MP win at Wylie, but hoping for them to.

Hmmm.....very interesting.

I didn't see Wylie East last season OR in 7v7 this year.....so I don't know how to compare last year's team to this year's team.  You have.  

I look at MP.... they have NINE returning starters on offense.  Most of their defense is returning too (7 or 8 returning I think).

This is a game MP won 49-6 last season........ hard to imagine WE improving that much....but now you got me wondering.  No doubt Wylie SHOULD have some serious numbers advantages over MP.  The Tigers consistently has had one of the smallest rosters in the district.  Very small for a 5A school.  

But a 43 point turn-around with a loaded MP offense coming back???  Seems like a tall order.

Gonna wait and hear some camp news next month.  I'll revisit my pick if needed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I didn't see Wylie East last season OR in 7v7 this year.....so I don't know how to compare last year's team to this year's team.  You have.  

I look at MP.... they have NINE returning starters on offense.  Most of their defense is returning too (7 or 8 returning I think).

This is a game MP won 49-6 last season........ hard to imagine WE improving that much....but now you got me wondering.  No doubt Wylie SHOULD have some serious numbers advantages over MP.  The Tigers consistently has had one of the smallest rosters in the district.  Very small for a 5A school.  

But a 43 point turn-around with a loaded MP offense coming back???  Seems like a tall order.

Devils advocate, Wylie East started a lot of young players last year with a Sophomore QB. That game with MP was 13-6 mid way thru the 3rd qtr last year when Wylie East had 4 straight turnovers, 3 of which were just bad young plays. Offseasons been a complete culture change(only lost 2 7v7 games). Not saying they are back, but expect a wayyyyy tougher game this season. 

1 minute ago, dagreatflyatx said:

Devils advocate, Wylie East started a lot of young players last year with a Sophomore QB. That game with MP was 13-6 mid way thru the 3rd qtr last year when Wylie East had 4 straight turnovers, 3 of which were just bad young plays. Offseasons been a complete culture change(only lost 2 7v7 games). Not saying they are back, but expect a wayyyyy tougher game this season. 

Good stuff.  Thanks.

I know when we played Wylie E in the 2016 playoffs they were BEAST.  Eno Benjamin put on a clinic that night against us...and we had a pretty good defense.  He torched us.  Sounds like he did that a lot in HS.  

Sounds like he was still doing it in the PAC-12. 

Now he's an AZ Cardinal.  Hopefully he will make a name for himself in the NFL too.

I knew he was special on that chilly playoff night in McKinney.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:29 PM, Mavchamp said:

Pre-season Scrimmages:

Aug 19- Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson (4A D1)
Aug 19- Jacksonville Vs. Bullard (4A D2)
Aug 20- Tyler Legacy (6A D2) Vs. Marshall
Aug 20- Longview (5A D1) Vs. Texas High
Aug 20- Whitehouse Vs. Melissa (4A D1)
Aug ??- Mount Pleasant Vs. Sulphur Springs 

Pine Tree ???
Hallsville ???

Pine Tree vs. Gilmer in Longview at Pirate Stadium on Friday August 20th in their lone scrimmage.

RJ

On 7/18/2021 at 11:34 PM, Mavchamp said:

According to my nephew, the Tigers have had more people come out this spring than usual. That doesnt mean they stuck around but theres hope towards their depth issues.

• Like 1

Still got a lot of work to do on the Mav webpage before the season starts....but it's all underway.  I've received some outstanding input over the summer.  Very excited about some things to come.

I brought back the message board for Mav fans (and rivals).  I'd like to build it back up again. 

Always open to new ideas and suggestions.

Thanks Mav fans for all the encouragement on the page.  

Maverick Webpage:  https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Mav Message Board: http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=131517822&frmid=11468&msgid=0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Marshall had about 130 report on the first day of practice. A few more expected in the next few days after they get medical clearance.  Will probably be 145-150 range. 

Good solid numbers. 
Lots of excitement and energy

On 8/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, OakRidgeMav said:

Hey Mav.....how about sending TexasBob a current pic of Mav Stadium.....they're using an old pic, and it ####!

I’ll see what I can do!

Will probably need another pic for next season.  

I think we see a big upgrade in seating next fall #fingerscrossed 

Reading through this thread it seems like Texas High is the consensus favorite by a wide margin? The way they rolled through the schedule last year I was surprised at how little resistance they mustered against Crosby in the 2nd round. I believe they were down by 5 tds when Crosby got off the gas. Do the TH fans just feel like they had a bad night or just that their record was the product of playing in a weaker district? 

I’m asking because I’m trying to make preseason predictions on potential playoff matchups in the region. I currently don’t have anybody from the district except TH in the 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, cougar14 said:

Reading through this thread it seems like Texas High is the consensus favorite by a wide margin? The way they rolled through the schedule last year I was surprised at how little resistance they mustered against Crosby in the 2nd round. I believe they were down by 5 tds when Crosby got off the gas. Do the TH fans just feel like they had a bad night or just that their record was the product of playing in a weaker district? 

I’m asking because I’m trying to make preseason predictions on potential playoff matchups in the region. I currently don’t have anybody from the district except TH in the 2nd round. 

I think Crosby's appearance in the state title game says a lot about their team. Texas High beat every team except one by at least 3 scores in district. I think the margin of loss signifies a bad night, but the loss itself was a really good team beating another really good team. 9-5a went 2-2 in the first round last year and 0-2 in the second round. I am not sure how much better Texas High can be vs LY but in my opinion they are the only one capable in the district of making it 3 rounds deep this year. The rest of the district is either rebuilding at QB/O-Line or breaking in new coaching staffs.

Texas High should be the best team in the district this season. 

Marshall, Nac, Pine Tree, and Wherehouse could end up in just about any order imagined 2-5.  

Like Nacwagons said….  Three of us will be breaking in new QBs and another has a new coaching staff.   Lots of unknowns and question marks. 

But I think some are going to surprise.  Someone always does. 

17 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I believe we won’t have Braxton Jones this year with the knee. That’s a big blow for the Dragons he had a good year last year.

yeah he was injured (knee) in the spring game when a DB went low for a tackle while he was playing RB with the 1st team Offense. He had surgery mid July and it was announced yesterday he is out for the year.

11 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

yeah he was injured (knee) in the spring game when a DB went low for a tackle while he was playing RB with the 1st team Offense. He had surgery mid July and it was announced yesterday he is out for the year.

Hate hearing about kids losing their seasons. 

We have had more bad luck with starting QBs the last few years. 

2010-  He wasn’t out… but QB was hobbled in playoff game vs Sherman.  Lost by 7. 

2013- lost QB to injury in the first half of our playoff game Vs Wylie.  

2015- lost our 4 year starter to injury one game before the playoffs.  Still made it to the regionals  But still.  

2017- Another QB injury in non-district play. Had to start a sophomore the rest of the year. 

2019- Lost starting QB after first game for disciplinary reasons.

Been a merry-go-round of QBs for the last decade.