2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

I think T-High fans probably are okay about Friday night. The defense held Tyler in check.  The offensive line line had issues with false starts, which I feel the staff will correct. The penalties killed a number of drives and kept the score respectable. Hopefully they find a game this week to work out the kinks even if that means a semi-pro team like IMG.

47 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I think T-High fans probably are okay about Friday night. The defense held Tyler in check.  The offensive line line had issues with false starts, which I feel the staff will correct. The penalties killed a number of drives and kept the score respectable. Hopefully they find a game this week to work out the kinks even if that means a semi-pro team like IMG.

I agree.  Tyler got 3 from a QB fumble and 7 on a great catch with our DB falling down. I feel like we left at the very least 10 points on the field but the false start penalties was the only glaring problem.   Very fixable

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I totally agree.

Just seeing talk of "blow it up and start all over" on different threads is mind-blowing.  

Some in Maverick Nation are doing the same.  Why????

Let's see how it plays out.  Come November/December.... these games may be a long distant memory.

We've seen this before.

We've never shied away from a difficult non-district schedule.  Longview, Shadow Creek, Cypress Woods, Bossire Parkway, Corsicana.....we've always had tough September schedules.... and we traditionally have slow starts to our season.  Yet last season was our first time to miss the playoffs in a long time.

Now....if we continue to struggle as the season plays out and when it's over..... THEN have a discussion.

But not in August after one game.

UGH.....

This also goes for program building, all programs are not built the same way. A new coaching staff isn't always going to change a culture in 1 year and maybe not even 2. Sometimes it takes 3-4 depending on the condition of the program and the culture that was in place. Changing a culture that is used to losing isn't not an overnight change. Things can always be worse!! 

WEEK 2 SCORES
Marshall lost to Longview 14-0
Jax lost to Palestine 51-27
MP lost to Sherman 36-35
PT lost to Lindale 31-29
Hallsville lost to Kilgore 49-27
Whitehouse lost to Royse City 27-13
Nacogdoches lost to Lufkin 22-16
Tex High was off

Standings
Texas High 1-0
Pine Tree 1-1
Marshall 0-2
Nacogdoches 0-2
Whitehouse 0-2
Hallsville 0-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Jacksonville 0-2

The district went 0-7 on the night for week 7 and is (2-13) thus far this season.  Not good.  Two of them lost on Hail Marys this week.  MP lost to Sherman on the last play of the game.  PT fell to Lindale on a long pass with just 20 second left in the game.  

The more surprising scores IMHO were the Nac/Lufkin and Marshall/Longview games.  I think most expected both of these games to be blowouts.  

TAKEAWAYS

Pine Tree- the Pine Tree offense seems to be playing well enough.  25 points last week and 29 this week.  Defense pitched a shutout last week against a less than mediocre team, but struggled to stop Lindale, ultimately losing on a late score.  That's a tough loss to swallow, but if you a PT fan you have to be encouraged by what you see thus far.  Another tough test coming up with Kilgore.  A rivalry game for the Pirates.  Another chance to see where they are.

Marshall- The Mav defense has played well enough to be (2-0).  Holding Longview to 14 points (7 points for 3 quarters for all intents and purposes) and New Caney to 9 point for 3.5 quarters is impressive.  But the offense has been in a malaise most of this season.  HOWEVER.... they definitely got a HUGE spark when senior QB Olvera came in.  He moved the ball pretty well against a very good Lobo defense.  Expect him to get the start in the next game Vs. McKinney North. 

Nacogdoches- The Dragons played Lufkin close at home and had their chances at the upset.  But turnovers and penalties killed them, just as it did against Kilgore in the season opener.  Nac is still looking for some depth and some skill postion players to step up.  No loss feels good...but they have to be pleased with their performance Vs. 5A Div I Lufkin.  Will have their hands full Vs. Tyler next.

Whitehouse-  The Wildcats have had a tough start thus far.  A close loss to a Forney team that only won 1 game last season has to be disappointing.  They followed that up this week with a loss to a Royse City team that may be pretty good...we shall see.  The Wildcats will get another test against a Corsicana team that is (2-0).  The Tigers are tough to beat at home.  Tall order ahead.

Jacksonville-  It's a continuing trend for the Tribe that they score plenty of points, but they always seem to give up a lot more.  This was no different this week as they fell to their oldtime rivals from Palestine.  Once again the Indians scored enough points, but they are giving up points in bushels.  it's been a problem for them for several seasons now.  So far in 2021.... it has continued.

Hallsville- The Bobcat offense apparently has awakened from the slumber it has been in for the last few seasons.  They have exploded for points.... but they have been giving up touchdowns like crazy.  Special teams issues have haunted them in both games thus far this season.  The kicking game has given up scores in both games this season.  The defense has had trouble getting off the field.  If the D can step up... the Bobcat offense may have enough fire power to make some noise.

Mount Pleasant-  The Tigers had a chance to steal a road game in the first week Vs. Wylie East, but they fell short with an INT ending the possible winning score.  This week MP suffered a heartbreaking hail mary loss to Sherman.  MP's defense has struggled so far this season.  Their offense has shown some firepower... but turnovers are killing them.  They had an ungodly amount Vs. Sherman (was it 8?  or was it 11?  Can't recall).  Ouch.  Hard to win turning it over like that.  They have Arkansas next.

Texas High-  If the first two weeks of district play are any indication... the Tigers could COAST to a (9-0) record.  Hard to imagine Forney putting up much of a fight.  After that... district starts and THS just appears to be head and shoulders better than anyone else in 9-5A.  

On to week 3!

Texas High Vs. Forney
McKinney North Vs. Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville
Jacksonville Vs. Henderson
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore
Arkansas High Vs. Mount Pleasant

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

WEEK 2 SCORES

PT lost to Lindale 31-29

TAKEAWAYS

Pine Tree- the Pine Tree offense seems to be playing well enough.  25 points last week and 29 this week.  Defense pitched a shutout last week against a less than mediocre team, but struggled to stop Lindale, ultimately losing on a late score.  That's a tough loss to swallow, but if you a PT fan you have to be encouraged by what you see thus far.  Another tough test coming up with Kilgore.  A rivalry game for the Pirates.  Another chance to see where they are.

I am hearing some things out of Pin Tree, this is hear say so take it as you will. Apparently the QB they are starting is not as good as the backup. There is some noise coming out of PT that they don't understand why the backup isn't playing more. The back up has lead scoring drives more than the starter has. Both are sophomores, and I am sure they are using the non-district schedule as pre-season to find their best rotation for playing time. There has also been a few players leave the football program over the controversy. Again this is just hear say from folks I know that have a little insight into the state of the program.  

9 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I am hearing some things out of Pin Tree, this is hear say so take it as you will. Apparently the QB they are starting is not as good as the backup. There is some noise coming out of PT that they don't understand why the backup isn't playing more. The back up has lead scoring drives more than the starter has. Both are sophomores, and I am sure they are using the non-district schedule as pre-season to find their best rotation for playing time. There has also been a few players leave the football program over the controversy. Again this is just hear say from folks I know that have a little insight into the state of the program.  

Well if there is any truth to the story we might have a few roster spots in Panther land if they need a place to go.  🤷‍♂️

• LOL! 1

34 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

That’s some Marshall type mess right there if it’s true. Lmao.  

Seems like we have an annual storyline of QB drama/trauma. 

At least every year since Justin Hart went down in 2015. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

WEEK 2 SCORES
MP lost to Sherman 36-35
PT lost to Lindale 31-29
Tex High was off

Standings
Texas High 1-0
Pine Tree 1-1
Marshall 0-2
Nacogdoches 0-2
Whitehouse 0-2
Hallsville 0-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Jacksonville 0-2

The district went 0-7 on the night for week 7 and is (2-13) thus far this season.  Not good.  Two of them lost on Hail Marys this week.  MP lost to Sherman on the last play of the game.  PT fell to Lindale on a long pass with just 20 second left in the game.  

The more surprising scores IMHO were the Nac/Lufkin and Marshall/Longview games.  I think most expected both of these games to be blowouts.  

TAKEAWAYS

Marshall- The Mav defense has played well enough to be (2-0).  Holding Longview to 14 points (7 points for 3 quarters for all intents and purposes) and New Caney to 9 point for 3.5 quarters is impressive.  But the offense has been in a malaise most of this season.  HOWEVER.... they definitely got a HUGE spark when senior QB Olvera came in.  He moved the ball pretty well against a very good Lobo defense.  Expect him to get the start in the next game Vs. McKinney North. 

Nacogdoches- The Dragons played Lufkin close at home and had their chances at the upset.  But turnovers and penalties killed them, just as it did against Kilgore in the season opener.  Nac is still looking for some depth and some skill postion players to step up.  No loss feels good...but they have to be pleased with their performance Vs. 5A Div I Lufkin.  Will have their hands full Vs. Tyler next.

Whitehouse-  The Wildcats have had a tough start thus far.  A close loss to a Forney team that only won 1 game last season has to be disappointing.  They followed that up this week with a loss to a Royse City team that may be pretty good...we shall see.  The Wildcats will get another test against a Corsicana team that is (2-0).  The Tigers are tough to beat at home.  Tall order ahead.

Jacksonville-  It's a continuing trend for the Tribe that they score plenty of points, but they always seem to give up a lot more.  This was no different this week as they fell to their oldtime rivals from Palestine.  Once again the Indians scored enough points, but they are giving up points in bushels.  it's been a problem for them for several seasons now.  So far in 2021.... it has continued.

Hallsville- The Bobcat offense apparently has awakened from the slumber it has been in for the last few seasons.  They have exploded for points.... but they have been giving up touchdowns like crazy.  Special teams issues have haunted them in both games thus far this season.  The kicking game has given up scores in both games this season.  The defense has had trouble getting off the field.  If the D can step up... the Bobcat offense may have enough fire power to make some noise.

Mount Pleasant-  The Tigers had a chance to steal a road game in the first week Vs. Wylie East, but they fell short with an INT ending the possible winning score.  This week MP suffered a heartbreaking hail mary loss to Sherman.  MP's defense has struggled so far this season.  Their offense has shown some firepower... but turnovers are killing them.  They had an ungodly amount Vs. Sherman (was it 8?  or was it 11?  Can't recall).  Ouch.  Hard to win turning it over like that.  They have Arkansas next.

Texas High-  If the first two weeks of district play are any indication... the Tigers could COAST to a (9-0) record.  Hard to imagine Forney putting up much of a fight.  After that... district starts and THS just appears to be head and shoulders better than anyone else in 9-5A.  

On to week 3!

Texas High Vs. Forney
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore

Well to tell the truth we didn’t have any turnovers against Lufkin.In fact Lufkin turned over the ball. It was the penalties and the depth that has hurt us. We have the skill players we need it’s just killing us that we have to play both ways. 

The race for 2-4 is going to be intense.

Obviously Texas High is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the district.

After that.....so far there isn't a clear favorite through two games.

--------

Everyone is still looking for some vital peices to come together.

------

I can only speak for Marshall.... our season appears to be hanging in the balance of how well Olvera performs as the QB1.

He's a senior... and he had some playing time last year.  He had some great moments in 2020 before he suffered a season-ending injury in the Jacksonville game.  

The Sophomore got the start Vs. New Caney and the offense struggled the entire game.  He played in the first half of the Longview game and it just wasn't happening.  The kid has a hell of an arm.  But he's being done a disservice IMHO.  He needs time to mature.  Get better.  He should be playing JV football right now.

The fact that Olvera had some success against a very good Lobo defense is encouraging.  If he can get things moving against the Lobos with his first couple of series... it's hard to imagine he can't have success against some defenses lesser than Longview's. 

That gives me a sense of optimism.  I'll quell that  until I see us against McNorth.  We shall see. 

Our defense has played well enough in both games.  They have given up some yards...but they seem to bow up when needed most.  

If Olvera and the offense can just become efficient.... they don't even have to be spectacular.... coupled with our defense.... I think we can make a run in district.  

But if the offense continues to sputter..... we could see a similar finish to last season.

But this spark of optimism..... even after a loss... is kind of nice.

2 hours ago, Cat51993 said:

Jville gave up over 450 yards on the ground to team that was dominated by a 3A team. And people think moving to 4A is going to help. There is a couple of things that would help Jville.

Awful, don't know what Coleman's doing, but it ain't working

Whitehouse was hard to understand last night.  Their QB Conflitti, is a pretty good ball player, defensive backs were solid, tailbacks ran hard, good speed.  Offensive line for the Wildcats seemed to wear down in the heat last night, but so did both teams. It was a hot, humid evening with absolutely no breeze. I think Forney's one point victory was helped out by the expectations of a brighter year with a new football coach.  It happens. Plus you do not throw four interceptions and expect to win a ball game. Seemed as if Forney was in the right place at the right time.  Don't count Whitehouse out, they have resources and each week is going to be a test for every team in Texas.  Covid is spreading like wildfire, early season injuries and still trying to assess a teams talent in only the second game is expected.  Royse City had three starters out and Whitehouse played tough.  According to film that I saw, Whitehouse had a better game against Royse City than they did against Forney.  I don't know what their player status was for that first week.  The Wildcats are far from being done, they have some good players. 

8 hours ago, Cat51993 said:

Jville gave up over 450 yards on the ground to team that was dominated by a 3A team. And people think moving to 4A is going to help. There is a couple of things that would help Jville.

Mp gonna destroy them on the ground unless they get there defensive line better.

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

WEEK 2 SCORES
MP lost to Sherman 36-35
PT lost to Lindale 31-29
Tex High was off

Standings
Texas High 1-0
Pine Tree 1-1
Marshall 0-2
Nacogdoches 0-2
Whitehouse 0-2
Hallsville 0-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Jacksonville 0-2

TAKEAWAYS

On to week 3!

Texas High Vs. Forney
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore

Mount Pleasant did struggle on defense. But they also are missing Emory right now. If the offense can get the turnovers fixed, the Tigers might give teams fits. They also seemed to move the ball better with the backup qb but they did run the ball more with him in. Tyson Minter is a stud. Had over 200 yards on the ground against Sherman. 

2 hours ago, Slimbodine said:

Was listening to a podcast with the Texas High coach and he was talking about realignment coming up next year.  He mentioned Sulphur Springs,  Jacksonville and Pine Tree as moving down to 4A.  Had not heard that PT might drop.  Two games to replace on the schedule.

I think Sulphur Springs and Jacksonville are foregone conclusions. 

I can’t imagine PT dropping.   IIRC they were 300+ over the last cutoff. 

I’m hoping with Jax dropping they will leave 9-5A intact with the remaining 7.

However…. I’ve seen some projections that have sent MP and Texarkana down I-30 with Greenville and Forney and that group

The. sending Nac south with Huntsville, AMC, Lamar Consolidated. 

That would likely send Marshall, PT, Hallsville, and WH likely into a district with Ennis, Corsicana, and Crandall.  Possibly Mesquite Pottet.  

Needless to say…. I’m hoping they keep us entact.   The travel gets stupid the other way.  Smaller crowds.  We loose traditional rivalries.

But it is what it is.  We’ve lost those before (in 2002). 

• Like 1

I think the sooner you prepare yourself to become a hybrid DFW/East Texas district the easier it will be.

It'll be coming at some point no doubt. With Royse City all but assured to move up to 5A D1, and Jacksonville/SS moving down to 4A D1, it honestly makes a lot of sense to send Nac south and split up the lone East Texas in 5A.

I think the biggest thing we need to see is really how will the COVID attendances really affect realignment.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I think Sulphur Springs and Jacksonville are foregone conclusions. 

I can’t imagine PT dropping.   IIRC they were 300+ over the last cutoff. 

I’m hoping with Jax dropping they will leave 9-5A intact with the remaining 7.

However…. I’ve seen some projections that have sent MP and Texarkana down I-30 with Greenville and Forney and that group

The. sending Nac south with Huntsville, AMC, Lamar Consolidated. 

That would likely send Marshall, PT, Hallsville, and WH likely into a district with Ennis, Corsicana, and Crandall.  Possibly Mesquite Pottet.  

Needless to say…. I’m hoping they keep us entact.   The travel gets stupid the other way.  Smaller crowds.  We loose traditional rivalries.

But it is what it is.  We’ve lost those before (in 2002). 

I am very concerned that if Jax drops, our lifeline to East Texas goes away and we will head south.  I have also seen the same projections that has TX High, MP and Greenville moving over to the I20 district.