2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

The thought of having district games in Corsicana, Ennis, Crandall, Mesquite makes me sad.  

Not only the long drives…. But these schools that we have very little to no history with. 

Currently there isn’t a schoolninnoirbdistrict we don’t share AT LEAST 60 years of history with. In some cases 80. And 100 with one. 

Truly makes me sad.  I hope we can all stay together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

The thought of having district games in Corsicana, Ennis, Crandall, Mesquite makes me sad.  

Not only the long drives…. But these schools that we have very little to no history with. 

Currently there isn’t a schoolninnoirbdistrict we don’t share AT LEAST 60 years of history with. In some cases 80. And 100 with one. 

Truly makes me sad.  I hope we can all stay together. 

Same here!!!! I don't like the thought of going south losing the district series with 

Marshall-55 Games by my count first game in 1917.

Jacksonville 82 Games in the series started in 1913-Could possible be a non-district game.

PT-33 games-Started in 1964 and one of the few programs we have a winning record against.

WH, MP and Hallsville not a lot of history because Nac was 5a and those schools were 4a and lower for so long.

Replacing with Huntsville, Bryan, Rudder, A&M Consolidated

We have played those schools a combine 44 times with 26 of them coming from Bryan and 15 from Huntsville.

No History and no real rival, Huntsville might become one due to the colleges but no where near the east Texas group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think the biggest thing we need to see is really how will the COVID attendances really affect realignment.

This is a big point. 

I’ve seen some predict that this could force the UIL to LOWER numbers for the first time in recent memory.

I’ve been paying attention to alignment since 1996 and it’s never been lowered for 6A/5A.  Can’t speak for the lower classifications. 

I’m not sure with all the suburban sprawl.  But it’s no secret that most ISDs have seen drops in attendance since Covid. 

Maybe we will catch a break! 

Texas High Vs. Forney
McKinney North Vs. Marshall
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville
Jacksonville Vs. Henderson
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore

Texas High Vs. Forney-  The Tigers probably feel like the season hasn't really started with the way their schedule has fallen thus far this season.  After a big win over Tyler... the Tiger found themselves gameless in week two due some questionable "COVID precautions" by Arkansas High.  Texas High will finally get back on the field again this week... only to be greeted with a bye week next week prior to district play.  Unfortunately for Forney.... there won't be enough rust on the Tigers to get the upset.  Texarkana in a blowout.  I'll be interested to see if Coach Stanford will try and get a make-up game for week 4 in lieu of the bye.  With all the COVID cancellations, it may not be too hard to find a game.

McKinney North (1-1) Vs. Marshall (0-2)- The offensive spark found by the Mavericks Vs. the Lobos in the second half Friday night was encouraging.  After 6 quarters of complete futileness, the senior quarterback came in and amassed 118 yards passing against a very good Longview defense.  This should make running a lot easier for runningback JQ Davis.    The Mav defense has been our saving grace.  They held New Caney (2-0) to 9 points for 3.5 quarters and held the Lobos to 7 points for basically 36 mins... 14 points total.  The Maverick offense doesn't have to be spectacular to win.... just efficient if the defense continues.  It finally starts to come together this week.  More stingy defense.... with an efficient but not spectacular offense will get the W.

Whitehouse (0-2) Vs. Corsicana (0-2)-   The Wildcats are still a question mark to me.  Their season-opening loss to Forney still has me scratching my head... the Rabbits were (1-9) last season.  But then WH came back last week and played a pretty good Royse City team relatively close.  They have another tough test this week as they travel to Corsicana.  The Tigers are ALWAYS tough at home.  Whitehouse has never been known as a defensive team... and their offense hasn't found their groove yet.  That spells trouble when playing in Corsicana.  I'll take the Tigers in a close one.

Tyler (0-2) Vs. Nacogdoches (0-2)-   Nacogdoches, like Marshall, played their arch-rivals closer than just about anyone expected.  Nac fans are reporting some depth/conditioning issues early on.  Sounds like defense is the Dragon's strength right now as the offense is continuing to find an identity.  Meanwhile Tyler is coming off of a game in which they scored 55 points against their arch-rivals from Legacy.  However... Tyler's defense as proven to be porous through the first two games.  If Tyler can score 55 on Tyler.... I have a feeling they will be able to score on Nac too... the problem is.... I don't think Nac can match that offensive output right now.  I'm going to take Tyler in this one.

Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville-   The Bobcats have shown the ability to score a lot of points this season... unfortunately... they are giving up even more defensively.  That's a tough combination when you have a state ranked team coming up next on your schedule in the Chapel Hill Bulldogs.  CH was ranked #9 in the state last week thanks to 63-36 win over Greenville in week one combined with a 35-15 win over Livingston.  Meanwhile the Bobcats fell to 48-47 in the first week and 49-27 to Kilgore last week.  97 points surrendered in two weeks.  Not only defensive issues.... the Bobcats have given up touchdowns on special teams in both games.  The turnover bug has also bitten them thus far in both games.  This week could get ugly for the Bobcats.  I'm taking CH in a blowout.

Jacksonville (0-2) Vs. Henderson (1-1)-  This is probably going to be a repeat of the Hallsville-Henderson game in week 1.  Both teams will likely score a ton.  Neither team seems to have much defense... but both have shown the ability to score almost at will.  I think Henderson's defense is just a tad better than Jacksonville's and that will be the difference in the game.  The Indians have a propensity to turning the ball over, and that will likely be their doom.  I'm going to take the Lions in an offensive showdown with very little defense... much like that Hallsville game 2 weeks ago.

Pine Tree (1-1) Vs. Kilgore (2-0)-The Pirates are hard to figure so far this season.  They got a big win in the season opener against a mediocre 4A Div II Liberty Eyalu team.  But then lost on Hail Mary to Lindale last week.  Losing to a state finalist is nothing to be down about except the Eagles had unceremoniously lost to Kaufman the week before.  It appears as though the Eagles may be rebuilding a bit this season.  Coming into the season.... everyone was interested to see how PT was going live life without DJ Freeman at QB.  They've done surprisingly well scoring 25 Vs. LE and 29 Vs. Lindale.  However... the defense, which was expected to be their strength struggled Vs. Lindale.  Meanwhile Kilgore is Kilgore and beating them at home is a TALL order...especially in a rivalry game.  Bulldogs in a close one.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High Vs. Forney
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore
Arkansas High Vs. Mount Pleasant

Texas High Vs. Forney-  The Tigers probably feel like the season hasn't really started with the way their schedule has fallen thus far this season.  After a big win over Tyler... the Tiger found themselves gameless in week two due some questionable "COVID precautions" by Arkansas High.  Texas High will finally get back on the field again this week... only to be greeted with a bye week next week prior to district play.  Unfortunately for Forney.... there won't be enough rust on the Tigers to get the upset.  Texarkana in a blowout.  I'll be interested to see if Coach Stanford will try and get a make-up game for week 4 in lieu of the bye.  With all the COVID cancellations, it may not be too hard to find a game.

McKinney North (1-1) Vs. Marshall (0-2)- The offensive spark found by the Mavericks Vs. the Lobos in the second half Friday night was encouraging.  After 6 quarters of complete futileness, the senior quarterback came in and amassed 118 yards passing against a very good Longview defense.  This should make running a lot easier for runningback JQ Davis.    The Mav defense has been our saving grace.  They held New Caney (2-0) to 9 points for 3.5 quarters and held the Lobos to 7 points for basically 36 mins... 14 points total.  The Maverick offense doesn't have to be spectacular to win.... just efficient if the defense continues.  It finally starts to come together this week.  More stingy defense.... with an efficient but not spectacular offense will get the W.

Whitehouse (0-2) Vs. Corsicana (0-2)-   The Wildcats are still a question mark to me.  Their season-opening loss to Forney still has me scratching my head... the Rabbits were (1-9) last season.  But then WH came back last week and played a pretty good Royse City team relatively close.  They have another tough test this week as they travel to Corsicana.  The Tigers are ALWAYS tough at home.  Whitehouse has never been known as a defensive team... and their offense hasn't found their groove yet.  That spells trouble when playing in Corsicana.  I'll take the Tigers in a close one.

Tyler (0-2) Vs. Nacogdoches (0-2)-   Nacogdoches, like Marshall, played their arch-rivals closer than just about anyone expected.  Nac fans are reporting some depth/conditioning issues early on.  Sounds like defense is the Dragon's strength right now as the offense is continuing to find an identity.  Meanwhile Tyler is coming off of a game in which they scored 55 points against their arch-rivals from Legacy.  However... Tyler's defense as proven to be porous through the first two games.  If Tyler can score 55 on Tyler.... I have a feeling they will be able to score on Nac too... the problem is.... I don't think Nac can match that offensive output right now.  I'm going to take Tyler in this one.

Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville-   The Bobcats have shown the ability to score a lot of points this season... unfortunately... they are giving up even more defensively.  That's a tough combination when you have a state ranked team coming up next on your schedule in the Chapel Hill Bulldogs.  CH was ranked #9 in the state last week thanks to 63-36 win over Greenville in week one combined with a 35-15 win over Livingston.  Meanwhile the Bobcats fell to 48-47 in the first week and 49-27 to Kilgore last week.  97 points surrendered in two weeks.  Not only defensive issues.... the Bobcats have given up touchdowns on special teams in both games.  The turnover bug has also bitten them thus far in both games.  This week could get ugly for the Bobcats.  I'm taking CH in a blowout.

Jacksonville (0-2) Vs. Henderson (1-1)-  This is probably going to be a repeat of the Hallsville-Henderson game in week 1.  Both teams will likely score a ton.  Neither team seems to have much defense... but both have shown the ability to score almost at will.  I think Henderson's defense is just a tad better than Jacksonville's and that will be the difference in the game.  The Indians have a propensity to turning the ball over, and that will likely be their doom.  I'm going to take the Lions in an offensive showdown with very little defense... much like that Hallsville game 2 weeks ago.

Pine Tree (1-1) Vs. Kilgore (2-0)-The Pirates are hard to figure so far this season.  They got a big win in the season opener against a mediocre 4A Div II Liberty Eyalu team.  But then lost on Hail Mary to Lindale last week.  Losing to a state finalist is nothing to be down about except the Eagles had unceremoniously lost to Kaufman the week before.  It appears as though the Eagles may be rebuilding a bit this season.  Coming into the season.... everyone was interested to see how PT was going live life without DJ Freeman at QB.  They've done surprisingly well scoring 25 Vs. LE and 29 Vs. Lindale.  However... the defense, which was expected to be their strength struggled Vs. Lindale.  Meanwhile Kilgore is Kilgore and beating them at home is a TALL order...especially in a rivalry game.  Bulldogs in a close one.

Arkansas High (0-1) Vs. Mount Pleasant (0-2)- Here's to hoping AHS doesn't call the game due to malaria or a team-wide outbreak of jock-itch.   This is actually a tough game to call.  MP is just a couple of plays from being (2-0).  They had their chance Vs. Wylie East late in the game for a game-winning score that was stifled by an interception by the Raiders.  Last week Sherman had an improbable Hail-Mary win over MP to drop the Tigers to (0-2).  The Tigers have shown some offensive firepower...but they have also shown the ability to give up the big play.  Turnovers have been a HUGE problem for MP.... with multiple turnovers in each game.  While depth has improved for the Tigers, it's still an issue... and they've also had injury issues this season as well.  I'm going to take the Tigers in a close one.  Don't let me down MP.

Texas High

Marshall

Corsicana

Nac

Kilgore

Chapel Hill

Hendo

MP is actually off this week but will be the only team playing next week in our district. But of course I will be taking the Tigers against the Hogs. I will get the game info up on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High Vs. Forney
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches
Pine Tree Vs. Kilgore

There wasnt any questionable  covid precautions  from Arkansas High! They cancelled  every sport event last week! Heck the whole volleyball  team was quarantined  last week had tomget that rumor squashed.

• LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, WhyUMad said:

There wasnt any questionable  covid precautions  from Arkansas High! They cancelled  every sport event last week! Heck the whole volleyball  team was quarantined  last week had tomget that rumor squashed.

I'm sorry.... when you cancel a game the FOLLOWING week, but continue to play the game the week OF the announcement..... that's questionable.  

If they were going to cancel the Texas High game the FOLLOWING week... then they should have cancelled the Paris game too.  That's not just fact but common sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhyUMad said:

BS    They played on the road in Paris the next day after the cancellation

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

The only thing that got squashed was Ark High @ Paris and were saved from being squashed by Texas High

Probably so with twice the kids! They should . Serious question what is TH record  playing  schools their size or bigger in the last 10 years? They should  win their district they are so much bigger than anyone else.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, WhyUMad said:

Probably so with twice the kids! They should . Serious question what is TH record  playing  schools their size or bigger in the last 10 years? They should  win their district they are so much bigger than anyone else.

that’s getting old.

serious answer......it’s been pretty dang good since coach Stanford arrived. Thigh was in 7-5a D1 and happened to be one of the smaller schools in that district....year one was rough but if you follow thigh many thought it was coming...year 2 they finish 7-3 (qb out half the year) get in to playoffs and beat 10-0 state ranked lufkin in the first round at lufkin. given they may not be the same as the early 2000s but still a big win for the program. Last year they ran in to Crosby after being 11-0...Crosby game imo was a combination of both playing a good team and thigh coming out a little flat     ...14-0 in the first 2 min and team didn’t respond until is was a little late....not to mention his first year at thigh they get beat in the playoffs by HP(state champ that year) 51-49 in the last minute of the game. 

15 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

and truth be told they have been successful over the past 10 years...first round of the playoffs has been the issue. So far coach Stanford has done a good job of changing that 

So that is successful not getting past the first round? So what is getting old?

1 minute ago, WhyUMad said:

So that is successful not getting past the first round? So what is getting old?

you mention thigh not fairy well against teams there size or bigger than them that’s what’s getting old.....Thigh has had three 10-0 seasons in the last 10 years...playoff success has been the issue. The coach of the team you defend had playoff trouble..simply couldn’t get it done when it mattered. By no means have they made a deep playoff run under Stanford but have done more in 4 years in the playoffs than they have in the past 10. 

10 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

you mention thigh not fairy well against teams there size or bigger than them that’s what’s getting old.....Thigh has had three 10-0 seasons in the last 10 years...playoff success has been the issue. The coach of the team you defend had playoff trouble..simply couldn’t get it done when it mattered. By no means have they made a deep playoff run under Stanford but have done more in 4 years in the playoffs than they have in the past 10. 

Exactly  your contradicted your self! Thats my point but its getting old according to you. Byvthe way im not from AHS but i know a few folks there!

Just now, WhyUMad said:

Exactly  your contradicted your self! Thats my point but its getting old according to you. Byvthe way im not from AHS but i know a few folks there!

this is pointless...thigh has done what they did last year every year for the past 10 years except 17 when Marshall won it and when Longview has dropped down they had a 3 way tie 1 year...playoffs roll around and that’s it. so I guess I wouldn’t say it’s over success but playoff success is the only thing they really haven’t had in the past 10 years. given they have gotten out of  the first round the past two years with coach Stanford. 

11 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

They did have to deal with Greg ward a few of those years but still playoff record with previous coach wasn’t very good. 

No problem  but you got to admit the enrollment  numbers make a big difference  in football thats my point!

1 hour ago, WhyUMad said:

No problem  but you got to admit the enrollment  numbers make a big difference  in football thats my point!

Yes and no ….. there are schools in the metro areas that are small 6A or large 5A schools that would have a difficult time competing in the East Texas 4A districts. In those schools, the number of kids coming out for football is limited. I suspect that Carthage has a higher percentage of males participating in the football program and they can “compete” with anyone in 5A Division 2.  I suspect they are similar in size to Arkansas High. The number of kids in a program gives the coach more choices and depth. I do not know how Arkansas High’s football numbers are, but suspect they are much smaller than Texas High. Although the press release by Texarkana Arkansas School District painted the picture the decision was mutual, it was TASD decision.

The problem that Arkansas High has in the perception of the public was the Paris game. If Covid-19 was rampant in Arkansas school, they should have ceased all activities on that day. If the issue was 7500 fans and the fear of fueling the spread of Covid-19, they could have adjusted to two tickets per student involved in the game and “x” number of tickets to the student bodies at each school (it is their game, not mine). 

The game is a tradition in the city. One of the issues that both schools face is finding games. Texas High is tucked in the northeast corner of Texas and Arkansas High is in the extreme southwest corner of their state. Games are hard for each school to schedule and the realignment years differ causing one year agreements. The game from a scheduling point of view is one less headache for both schools. Whether the series continues I suspect rests with the TASD’s administration (Excluding the AD).  The administration of the game may be too much for their resources. We will know come spring.

On to Forney.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Yes and no ….. there are schools in the metro areas that are small 6A or large 5A schools that would have a difficult time competing in the East Texas 4A districts. In those schools, the number of kids coming out for football is limited. I suspect that Carthage has a higher percentage of males participating in the football program and they can “compete” with anyone in 5A Division 2.  I suspect they are similar in size to Arkansas High. The number of kids in a program gives the coach more choices and depth. I do not know how Arkansas High’s football numbers are, but suspect they are much smaller than Texas High. Although the press release by Texarkana Arkansas School District painted the picture the decision was mutual, it was TASD decision.

The problem that Arkansas High has in the perception of the public was the Paris game. If Covid-19 was rampant in Arkansas school, they should have ceased all activities on that day. If the issue was 7500 fans and the fear of fueling the spread of Covid-19, they could have adjusted to two tickets per student involved in the game and “x” number of tickets to the student bodies at each school (it is their game, not mine). 

The game is a tradition in the city. One of the issues that both schools face is finding games. Texas High is tucked in the northeast corner of Texas and Arkansas High is in the extreme southwest corner of their state. Games are hard for each school to schedule and the realignment years differ causing one year agreements. The game from a scheduling point of view is one less headache for both schools. Whether the series continues I suspect rests with the TASD’s administration (Excluding the AD).  The administration of the game may be too much for their resources. We will know come spring.

On to Forney.

Cant compare Carthage  they are a different animal! But you made  some good points.