2021 District 9-5A Div II Football Thread

Mavchamp

On 9/4/2021 at 2:43 PM, Cat51993 said:

Jville gave up over 450 yards on the ground to team that was dominated by a 3A team. And people think moving to 4A is going to help. There is a couple of things that would help Jville.

When was Palestine ever dominated by a 3A? They Don’t even play 3A teams…

1 hour ago, LordSensai said:

When was Palestine ever dominated by a 3A? They Don’t even play 3A teams…

Sorry dominated by Van average 4A team. No disrespect to Palestine at all. But 450 yards given up to a program that has been below average. Not good for a 5A team. Just facts

18 hours ago, Cat51993 said:

Sorry dominated by Van average 4A team. No disrespect to Palestine at all. But 450 yards given up to a program that has been below average. Not good for a 5A team. Just facts

Man o man, I wish Palestine can outlive that “Robby Clark Era” that’s the team everyone is use to. I must admit, they were down bad for a while. They won like 13-14 games in 5 years with no playoff appearances. Since Angel has been back in the driver seat, they’ve been about their business..

Van isn’t just an avg. team either. I can’t tell you the last time they had a losing season or been down bad. 

(8-7) in my picks for the district this year..... this may be the worst start I've ever had.  Here's to hoping for a better week this week.

Thank goodness for 5A Div I and 6A games...otherwise I'd be off to a terrible start.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, bordertown said:

Yes and no ….. there are schools in the metro areas that are small 6A or large 5A schools that would have a difficult time competing in the East Texas 4A districts. In those schools, the number of kids coming out for football is limited. I suspect that Carthage has a higher percentage of males participating in the football program and they can “compete” with anyone in 5A Division 2.  I suspect they are similar in size to Arkansas High. The number of kids in a program gives the coach more choices and depth. I do not know how Arkansas High’s football numbers are, but suspect they are much smaller than Texas High. Although the press release by Texarkana Arkansas School District painted the picture the decision was mutual, it was TASD decision.

The problem that Arkansas High has in the perception of the public was the Paris game. If Covid-19 was rampant in Arkansas school, they should have ceased all activities on that day. If the issue was 7500 fans and the fear of fueling the spread of Covid-19, they could have adjusted to two tickets per student involved in the game and “x” number of tickets to the student bodies at each school (it is their game, not mine). 

The game is a tradition in the city. One of the issues that both schools face is finding games. Texas High is tucked in the northeast corner of Texas and Arkansas High is in the extreme southwest corner of their state. Games are hard for each school to schedule and the realignment years differ causing one year agreements. The game from a scheduling point of view is one less headache for both schools. Whether the series continues I suspect rests with the TASD’s administration (Excluding the AD).  The administration of the game may be too much for their resources. We will know come spring.

On to Forney.

On the local radio show Leaving The Yard, Arkansas High AD/HC Barry Norton stated on the air the following:

1.  He and the TASD superintendent had discussed the game in light of the COVID issue and also in light of some state governmental positions in the State of Arkansas

2.  He stated that he and the Texas High AD/HC had discussed playing the game and that the decision was mutual and was cordial.

3.  Mr. Norton lamented the alleged fact that the people who were complaining about the game not being played were individuals who "probably had not ever had to make and important decision in their life."

4.  Mr. Norton was against playing the game with few or no spectators and streaming the game because in his opinion, that would have cheated the band, pep squat ect., of the game experience.

IMHO, he is full of it and other than dealing with possible directives from the State of Arkansas and his statement about the Texas High coach he is just plain wrong.  I don't think that any sub-varsity games were played.  That fact is one thing that is hurting his squad this season because they played no sub-varsity games last season and experience is hurting them as a team.

Texas High, looks to me like they really had no choice in the matter.

His condescending attitude about fans never in their lives ever having to make a important or life affecting decision is just plain wrong.  I know that there are others on this forum besides myself who have made those types of decisions many times in their personal and professional lives.

The game could have been played with just the bands and pep squads present with no fans and streamed over the local streaming services.  The bands could have performed and all of the students could have cheered on their respective team.  I don't know about Arkansas High's band but at this time of the year the Texas High band's halftime routine is basically practice for their upcoming marching competitions.

I did not hear any commitment about playing the game next year but Mr. Norton is well aware of the difference that the size of enrollment makes in building a football program.  After all, he had been on both sides of this coin.  Never-the-less he was open to playing the game if it is felt that the Hogs are going to have several good classes coming through their pipeline.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WhyUMad said:

IMHO they will not play this game anymore!! 

That is the whole point of this farce.   And that is fine. Just say it.  It is one of the oldest rivalries in the state. I know all about the numbers. Arkansas High has nothing to lose.   I've been wanting to schedule Longview every year for the last decade before we were in a conference with them.  IMO we would be 0 for whatever but that isn't always the point.

I won't even comment on BN saying nobody has ever made important decisions except for him.  I gave him 100% credit for making Texas High credible after his arrival.  I also didn't have any regret at all when he left. 

• Like 1

District went (3-4) in week 3.  They are (5-17) on the season thus far. 

Week 3 Scores
Texas High beat Forney 34-13
Pine Tree beat Kilgore 42-27
Marshall beat McKinney North 41-29
Corsicana beat Whitehouse 23-7
Tyler beat Nacogdoches 40-12
Henderson beat  Jacksonville 21-6
Chapel Hill beat Hallsville 35-16 
Mount Pleasant- BYE

Standings
Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-1
Marshall 1-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Whitehouse 0-3
Nacogdoches 0-3
Hallsville 0-3
Jacksonville 0-3

Everyone is off next week except for Mount Pleasant, who will be hosting Arkansas High.

District starts in two weeks.

Have your playoff picks changed any through three games?

Who do you think gets the top 4 spots?

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

District went (3-4) in week 3.  They are (5-17) on the season thus far. 

Week 3 Scores
Texas High beat Forney 34-13
Pine Tree beat Kilgore 42-27
Marshall beat McKinney North 41-29
Corsicana beat Whitehouse 23-7
Tyler beat Nacogdoches 40-12
Henderson beat  Jacksonville 21-6
Chapel Hill beat Hallsville 35-16 
Mount Pleasant- BYE

Standings
Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-1
Marshall 1-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Whitehouse 0-3
Nacogdoches 0-3
Hallsville 0-3
Jacksonville 0-3

Everyone is off next week except for Mount Pleasant, who will be hosting Arkansas High.

District starts in two weeks.

We didn’t stand a chance against Tyler that’s actually the worst we played up to this point. So idk about Nac I now have them competing for the final playoff spot. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It's Texas High's district to lose, but Pine Tree seems determined to prove they can bounce back after losing a generational star. I think Marshall has the 3 spot locked, and maybe higher if they get past PT. 

The fourth spot is anyone's race at this point. 

17 hours ago, missionimpossible said:

8 teams and 5 wins. My oh my what a weak group! J’ville vs Hallsville will be a barn burner! 4th place team will be at best 4-6 and get slaughtered in bi district. Sad to see this district so weak! 

Well tbh some of the district has played tough competition. And would have came out with a bad non district record regardless. Ex. Marshall,Nac, etc. so we will see when district starts if it was worth it. 

Week 4 Games
Arkansas High Vs Mount Pleasant 
Everyone else in the district has a bye this week

Standings
Texas High 2-0
Pine Tree 2-1
Marshall 1-2
Mount Pleasant 0-2
Whitehouse 0-3
Nacogdoches 0-3
Hallsville 0-3
Jacksonville 0-3

No replacement game was found. Seems as though Arkansas High waited too long to cancel the game. If they had canceled earlier like say Saturday or Sunday then MP might have been able to find one. But oh well, they got an extra week to prepare for THigh. Although it might not make much of a difference. Even if MP has the talent they hardly have the depth to even compete for 4 quarters. I dont think they have the talent to compete with THigh, PT or Marshall either. But I could see MP taking 4th in district at this time.