Week 5 Games
Marshall Vs Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs Whitehouse 
Mount Pleasant Vs Texas Hight
Hallsville Vs Jacksonville 

38 minutes ago, country said:

all of 5 A

State of Texas

I can think of several districts that are likely weaker.

Some of these ugly records was because of some tough competition.

Agree that there has been some ugly football too. 

Texas High will likely finish 9-0.  2nd and 3rd will likely finish 8-2/7-3. 

Fourth will be 5-5 maybe 4-6.

JMHO. 

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I can think of several districts that are likely weaker.

Some of these ugly records was because of some tough competition.

Agree that there has been some ugly football too. 

Texas High will likely finish 9-0.  2nd and 3rd will likely finish 8-2/7-3. 

Fourth will be 5-5 maybe 4-6.

JMHO. 

Agree. Last year this district was labeled the same and 2 ...should have been 3 got out of first round against a respectable district. 

1 hour ago, country said:

all of 5 A

State of Texas

Like mentioned, I think there are prob quite a few districts that are top heavy in 5a. we’ll  have to see how it plays out Forney win over north Forney last night is my point. I doubt they would have be in top 3 in this district. Thigh beat Denison last year and they finished 2nd  in their district and highly doubt they would have beat pinetree prob not whitehouse 

Marshall Vs Pine Tree-  This seems eerily  similar to last season.  Both teams seem to be entering this game on offensive highs.  The Pirates have scored in bushels against 4A teams Kilgore, Liberty Eyalu, and Lindale (combined 6-5).  But they have also given up a lot of points too.  Marshall's offense came alive after switching to the senior QB in the Longview game (315 yards since taking over).  But defense has been  the Mav's mojo.  Who has the better defense?  Who's QB and RB tandems are stronger?  Marshall was very one dimensional last season, but that's not the case in 2021.  DJ Freeman took over the game last season for PT to break open a 10-7 halftime game.  I'm taking the Mavs (homer pick, I'll admit) .... I think we've had a tougher schedule with three 5A Div I programs (who are a combined 6-3).  Had New Caney 9-7 with 4 mins left in the game.  Fell to Longview 14-0 and beat McKinney North by double digits.

Nacogdoches Vs Whitehouse-   This is a very important game for both teams as they both will likely be in a battle for a playoff spot Vs. Marshall/PT loser and Hallsville.  A loss in this game with Texarkana, PT, and Marshall still on the schedule makes the road a lot harder.  Nac has no doubt had a tougher schedule with the like of Kilgore and Lufkin under their belts.  Nac has had issues with lack of depth on defense and inconsistent offense.  WH has had flashes of looking like a contender...but they have struggled with one of the softest non-district schedules in 9-5A.  They appear to have some growing pains under a new coaching staff and replacing much of their offensive line from last season.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked if either of these team won Friday night.  I don't think it will be a blowout either way.  I'm going to take Nac in a close game.

Mount Pleasant Vs Texas High-   Both of these Tiger teams had to settle for just two non-district games because of "COVID concerns" with Arkansas High.   Texarkana is the heavy favorite for the district championship while MP is determined to bully their way into the playoff race this season.  The orange Tigers have impressive victories over Tyler and Forney.... while the yellow Tigers suffered a hail-Mary loss to Sherman and as minuet loss to Wylie East.  It's a repetitive story that MP is plagued with a lack of depth.  Texarkana has no such issues..... the deck appears to be staked against MP in this game, but rivalry games can do weird things sometimes.  That being said..... not this season.  Orange Tigers win comfortably.   

Hallsville Vs Jacksonville-  Neither one of these teams have a defense.  Last season it ended 59-44 in favor for the Indians.  I'm not sure the Indians have the firepower to repeat that performance this season.  Hallsville has scored a ton of points this season...but they have given up even more.  Whoever loses this game is immediately placed in jeopardy of not making the playoffs IMHO.  I'm expecting a high scoring game...but not as high as last season.  I think Hallsville will still get their mid 40's again...but I think Jax will settle for the low 30's.  This game may take 4 hours to play.  Bobcats win.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Mount Pleasant Vs Texas High-   , but rivalry games can do weird things sometimes.  That being said..... not this season.  Orange Tigers win comfortably.   

one of these days I hope somebody can tell me why this is considered a rivalry game  🤔

5 minutes ago, WhyUMad said:

I agree its not! Marshall would be the biggest  rival in district. 

Unfortunately I don't even consider Marshall a rival. And I don't mean that in a bad way.  They are a team I always follow and on most years the team most feared in the district (not counting when the Lobos were here).    It is really a downer because I don't feel we even have a true rival.  Used to be Ark High, but even that doesn't have that feel to it any more.  And I've got a feeling they have no plans to play us again after a 2 year absence

3 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Unfortunately I don't even consider Marshall a rival. And I don't mean that in a bad way.  They are a team I always follow and on most years the team most feared in the district (not counting when the Lobos were here).    It is really a downer because I don't feel we even have a true rival.  Used to be Ark High, but even that doesn't have that feel to it any more.  And I've got a feeling they have no plans to play us again after a 2 year absence

+1

Since dropping a classification in 2002…. I’ve always sensed more or a rivalry feel Vs Hallsville and Pine Tree than anyone else in the district.  Even though we’ve dominated both. 

We had a great rivalry with Kilgore for about a decade.  It was always either a playoff game or district title game or a win to get in game…. Until they dropped down. 

Now…..outside of football… it’s definitely still Longview. 

33 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

I don't understand either. When I was there we never considered you a rival. Paris and SS was our biggest rival. Maybe Dfield and Pitt in the mid-90s.

Forgive my ignorance….

But in the mid to late 90s when MP was producing all those deep playoff run teams…. Were MP/Texas not big rivals then?  Seems odd with how good MP was annually. 

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Forgive my ignorance….

But in the mid to late 90s when MP was producing all those deep playoff run teams…. Were MP/Texas not big rivals then?  Seems odd with how good MP was annually. 

No. They weren't big rivals at all. SS was the biggest rival to MP in the 90s.

Texarkana has had a difficult time in recent years to develop a district rivalries due to the biannual realignments where the school fluctuates between D1 & D2 and is placed in various districts with the eastern suburbs of Dallas or going south in East Texas. Their rival is Arkansas High which has more to do with the state pride on both sides of the stateline. The game has been lopsided the last 20 years, but it more of an event for the two cities. I hope the game continues.

23 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

No. They weren't big rivals at all. SS was the biggest rival to MP in the 90s.

I agree with the numerous posts about "rivals" regarding Texas High.    For some of us oldtimers, the rivals are still those that made up the old East Texas 4A district when 4A was the largest classification in the state - Longview, Lufkin, Marshall, John Tyler, Tyler Lee and Texas High.   It was always "good on good".   Every game was intense.  No team was a regular cellar dweller and no team was dominant for long periods of years.    Every school in the district had stretches where they were the top dog.  

Of those teams, only Marshall is a regular opponent now.    Fewer and fewer of us around that remember those days.  

• Like 1

Standings
Texas High (3-0) (1-0)
Marshall (2-2) (1-0)
Nacogdoches (1-3) (1-0)
Jacksonville (1-3) (1-0)
Pine Tree (2-2) (0-1)
Mount Pleasant (0-4) (0-1)
Whitehouse (0-4) (0-1)
Hallsville (0-4) (0-1)

Week 5 Games
Marshall beat Pine Tree 17-10
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 28-19
Texas High beat Mount Pleasant 44-13
Jacksonville  beat Hallsville 49-20

Texas High overcame a slow start offensively that saw MP lead 13-9 early in the contest.  The Orange Tigers then exploded for 35 unanswered points for the big win.

Nacogdoches jumped out to a big lead over WH and held on for the 9 point win over Whitehouse.  Nac snaps the 5 game losing streak to the Wildcats.

Marshall jumped out to a 14-0 lead over PT and used a stingy defense that had a 4 play goal-line stand inside their own 4 yard-line to preserve the 7 point win.  Marshall is 7-0 at Pine Tree Stadium.

Hallsville gave up over 40 points for the third time in four games this season.... 35 has been the least they have surrendered in a game (45.2 PPG).  Jacksonville is averaging 29.5 PPG.  

• Like 1

Taking an early peek at District 10

Bryan Rudder (1-0), (5-0)
A&M Consolidated (1-0), (4-1)
Fulshear (1-0), (4-1)
Montgomery (0-0), (4-0)
Lake Creek (0-1), (4-1)
Huntsville (0-1), (2-2)
Lamar Consolidated (0-1), (1-4)

Rudder beat Huntsville 31-28
Fulshear beat Lake Creek 42-15
AMC beat Lamar Consolidated 49-3
Montgomery- (Non district game)a

This district is stacked with teams with good records.  But SOS is questionable for some of them.

Rudder got the biggest win in program history Friday night by beating perennial power Huntsville. 

AMC made easy work of LC.

Fulshear beat Lake Creek.

This could turn out to be a fantastic race.

This week's games:
Huntsville Vs AMC
Montgomery Vs. Fulshear
Lake Creek Vs. Rudder
Lamar Consolidated- OFF

HUGE game Vs. Huntsville/AMC.  Hornets in danger of falling to 0-2... and a losing record of (2-3) if AMC gets the win.   Rudder looking to remain atop the district.  Fulshear also looking to stay on pace at the top of the standings.

Some really good games this week.  Some tough calls..... several of these could go either way IMHO.

Make your picks:

Pine Tree Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse Vs. Mt. Pleasant
Jacksonville Vs. Marshall
Texas High Vs. Hallsville