To Mask or Not To Mask Question Answered Differently In One Town With Two School Districts

BarryLaverty

3 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

When a teacher has 'feelings' about their health and safety, that should be considered, and I can promise you that wearing a mask has not impeded any student's learning this year that I have witnessed. 

The thing that I have witnessed the most this year is parents attacking teachers, especially the "online students" parents, because their student is failing classes. The best thing about Google Classroom, everything is time stamped when sent. But according to parents, it is the teachers fault--their kid didn't do the work and turn it in. If it were the first couple of weeks, and kinks were being worked out--maybe, but we are almost 75% of the way done with school this year. The parents are mad, because they are not disciplining their children enough to make sure their school work is complete. That seems to be the largest complaint from all the teachers at my campus. In school students, while still goofy, are getting their work turned in and completed. But according to some of these people, it's a poor teacher that is keeping their kids from learning. SMH. 

BTW Barry--our super didn't even survey us, he just decided that we were going to keep going like we were--until the end of the school year. We seem to be in a good routine, overall, why change that. 

10 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Again, you are wrong about school choice. And it those kids don't want to wear a mask, then they can probably do online school or go to another district that allows it. It is THEIR CHOICE!!!!!

Again you are wrong about choice. It’s not a choice when you public educators play like pirates and plunder the booty! 

But dude i get it, all the public school only crowd needs to own is this statement: “I care more about my check than the education of our youth”!!!

No other way to explain your stance other than you just want your paycheck insurance

11 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

So what you are saying is that TEACHERS have no rights--that the inmates....children should have total control--do what they want, not what legal adults want. That is truly East Texan. SMFH

“Inmates “???

No wonder you’re so anti school choice. 
Wow

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Again you are wrong about choice. It’s not a choice when you public educators play like pirates and plunder the booty! 

But dude i get it, all the public school only crowd needs to own is this statement: “I care more about my check than the education of our youth”!!!

No other way to explain your stance other than you just want your paycheck insurance

Please enlighten me and the rest of the world how educators are pirates and plunder the booty? That is about as insane as it gets. You seem to think I am in public education for the money--you must not read the salary rates of teachers. Seems as though you need to EDUCATE yourself on compensation of teachers. We plunder so freaking much. 

But again, no matter how you want to approach it--students have CHOICE--but you can't except that FACT because you listen to politicians tell you differently. You just want to take your LOCAL PROPERTY TAX money where ever you want to. Which means that you never learned in SCHOOL, what LOCAL meant. SMFH. 

9 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

“Inmates “???

No wonder you’re so anti school choice. 
Wow

And again, you must not have read what the other person said, ONLY the children matter, which means that he doesn't care about the teacher.

And BTW--how do you know that I don't work in a district with a juvenile detention center within its borders? Which would allow me to call the inmates. You do understand that while juveniles are in detention that they also are being educated? That is pretty much state mandated--as is the state mandate if you go to prison without a high school diploma or GED--you have to have one before you can finish serving your time, or get paroled, in Texas. 

And YES--there are school districts with juvenile detention centers in them, I think Longview, Sherman, and Quinlan have those types of facilities--as do others out in West Texas and the panhandle. 

Just now, DannyZuco said:

And again, you must not have read what the other person said, ONLY the children matter, which means that he doesn't care about the teacher.

And BTW--how do you know that I don't work in a district with a juvenile detention center within its borders? Which would allow me to call the inmates. You do understand that while juveniles are in detention that they also are being educated? That is pretty much state mandated--as is the state mandate if you go to prison without a high school diploma or GED--you have to have one before you can finish serving your time, or get paroled, in Texas. 

And YES--there are school districts with juvenile detention centers in them, I think Longview, Sherman, and Quinlan have those types of facilities--as do others out in West Texas and the panhandle. 

So you work in one of those? 
Or did you just call “regular” kids in school inmates? 

4 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I think to make a change that might endanger adults and less likely students, while we are so close to getting more vaccinated and cases are going down, and with only a few months to go,  was foolish and 'political theatre' on the part of Abbott and any school district. I can promise you that they didn't survey employees before making their decision. I don't think parents are going to think of anyone but their own children, in most cases. 

I believe in masks, as a part of the effort to slow down Covid, of course. 

I agree with you.  Abbott’s decision was political theatre.

However, while I am against mandated masks and more for the parental decision on masks, I firmly believe as a school district employee that it is foolish to make such a drastic policy change with 13 weeks of school left.  It gives no preparation time for parents or teachers.  Do it in the summer, it just makes sense.

10 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Please enlighten me and the rest of the world how educators are pirates and plunder the booty? That is about as insane as it gets. You seem to think I am in public education for the money--you must not read the salary rates of teachers. Seems as though you need to EDUCATE yourself on compensation of teachers. We plunder so freaking much. 

But again, no matter how you want to approach it--students have CHOICE--but you can't except that FACT because you listen to politicians tell you differently. You just want to take your LOCAL PROPERTY TAX money where ever you want to. Which means that you never learned in SCHOOL, what LOCAL meant. SMFH. 

lol, lots of capitalization in that one buddy. Looks like i pushed the Pirates little buttons. 

You’re probably right that i didn’t learn what “LOCAL” meant in school.  I attended public school so there’s a chance that i missed a ton of material. 

Did you learn about monopolies in your schooling? That’s what public education is! Regardless of their performance they get “their” money. And that’s WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Seems like you need to educate yourself on that fact. 

If we’re going to pretend that it’s actually about the inmates, i mean kids, then why not spend those dollars on the best education for them? Your answer is because it jeopardizes your paycheck. You are scared to death of competition and too afraid too admit as much. 

I’m all for local dollars being for local kids, not for local teachers! 

5 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

So you work in one of those? 
Or did you just call “regular” kids in school inmates? 

Yes, to both--While I might say words like that, I am here everyday-taking care of all the students that come my way, I am here early and stay late. And while I said that, in a sarcastic way--I understand that you "woke" folks are just looking for ways to attack people. Please, please cancel me--I can sit at home, draw over $600 a week in unemployment for up to a year--bring home as much as I usually bring home. 

So if I--taking this from my pal Barry--hurt your wittle feelings, I apologize for that. I can't wait to find your response on how teachers pirate and plunder the booty though--that should be a real treat. :munch:

9 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Yes, to both--While I might say words like that, I am here everyday-taking care of all the students that come my way, I am here early and stay late. And while I said that, in a sarcastic way--I understand that you "woke" folks are just looking for ways to attack people. Please, please cancel me--I can sit at home, draw over $600 a week in unemployment for up to a year--bring home as much as I usually bring home. 

So if I--taking this from my pal Barry--hurt your wittle feelings, I apologize for that. I can't wait to find your response on how teachers pirate and plunder the booty though--that should be a real treat. :munch:

lol, don’t be so sensitive. 
I’m the furthest thing from woke you’ll ever see. I’m crazy “sleep” or whatever the opposite of woke happens to be. 

Applause your way for working with such troubled youth. i sincerely appreciate it. 

I think you have me wrong. 
I’m a fan of public schools. I attended public schools. My kids attend public school. My parents both worked in public schools. My siblings currently teach in public schools. Tons of extended family in public schools.  If vouchers passed tomorrow my kids would still attend public schools. 

All that said, i cannot see the logic in telling kids “Hey, i know you prefer that other school, and it won’t cost us the taxpayers one dime more, but...... No we won’t allow that “ 

i know your big thing is local taxes. Those local taxes should educate local kids, regardless of which building it’s done in. 

5 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

lol, lots of capitalization in that one buddy. Looks like i pushed the Pirates little buttons. 

You’re probably right that i didn’t learn what “LOCAL” meant in school.  I attended public school so there’s a chance that i missed a ton of material. 

Did you learn about monopolies in your schooling? That’s what public education is! Regardless of their performance they get “their” money. And that’s WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Seems like you need to educate yourself on that fact. 

If we’re going to pretend that it’s actually about the inmates, i mean kids, then why not spend those dollars on the best education for them? Your answer is because it jeopardizes your paycheck. You are scared to death of competition and too afraid too admit as much. 

I’m all for local dollars being for local kids, not for local teachers! 

So in other words, all you can come back to is monopolies. I am guessing that poor east Texas public education is the total fault of the teachers--meaning that you won't take any RESPONSIBILITY for your actions as a student. But that is the sign of the times, you gotta blame somebody for something. 

I understand monopolies, do you? 

Monopoly--the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service--Now you are saying that public education has EXCLUSIVE possession and control of the supply of education--OMG--that means that those private schools, charter schools must be part of the monopoly? That means that your student can NOT attend any school they wish to attend--(which is NOT true). 

And why don't more people choose the private school route? Because a public education is granted in the state's constitution--Where it says there has to be a system of "free" education. Maybe you could get that changed--because there is NO free when you have to pay property taxes and sales taxes for education. And why don't people send their kids to private schools--because they ARE NOT FREE!!!!!

I hate to do this again, but you do realize that school districts gather money in several ways--

1. Local property taxes, where the local community VOTED to have school district in that LOCAL area. Which can be overturn or repealed by a vote of the people in that LOCAL area. And as I have said since we started this argument months ago--LOCAL money stays LOCAL!!!!! I have always argued that, and will continue until the day I am laid to rest--because that money is what is best for the LOCAL community. Which includes, city property taxes, county property taxes, hospital property taxes......At least my county voted down a College County property tax, for a school outside of our county. 

2. Money based on attendance to a school district--that money comes from the state--not the LOCAL property taxes. The higher the attendance of the school district the more money they receive. I believe this is more than likely where you should be complaining, but politicians have provided you a message that says you should be allowed to take your LOCAL property tax funds where ever you want. But then that would NOT be LOCAL anymore. maybe you should think of a better way to compensate school districts for state money.

3. Money given to the state to distribute to school districts from the federal government. And even better, this money has to be used based on what program it is involved with--such as special education, special programs, etc.... Maybe instead of spending millions of illegal immigrants that should distribute that money to the all the school districts in the United States. 

BTW--do you think this is the only job I can do? I have worked for 2 major corporations--I have a degree from Stanford in the Sticks (SFA-Sex Fun & Alcohol). I could make more money running internet wire in a warehouse than I can teaching, which might be my next job. So please this guaranteed paycheck thing, that is almost laughable. 

16 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

lol, don’t be so sensitive. 
I’m the furthest thing from woke you’ll ever see. I’m crazy “sleep” or whatever the opposite of woke happens to be. 

Applause your way for working with such troubled youth. i sincerely appreciate it. 

I think you have me wrong. 
I’m a fan of public schools. I attended public schools. My kids attend public school. My parents both worked in public schools. My siblings currently teach in public schools. Tons of extended family in public schools.  If vouchers passed tomorrow my kids would still attend public schools. 

All that said, i cannot see the logic in telling kids “Hey, i know you prefer that other school, and it won’t cost us the taxpayers one dime more, but...... No we won’t allow that “ 

i know your big thing is local taxes. Those local taxes should educate local kids, regardless of which building it’s done in. 

If you read the passage before this one--you will see there are other ways to provide vouchers, and I also am for local money teaching local kids. But I want Tyler money to stay in Tyler, not Longview. 

And BTW--I work with those at a detention center and those on a regular campus in my district. So I am in both worlds regularly. But I am, and don't take the wrong way, transitioning to just regular school, as politics is playing a huge part in the juvenile detention center. 

5 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Good god!!! Lmfao

Maybe I could have worded that one a little different. Because there are some teachers out there--most I hope have been arrested--that would plunder the booty. Excuse my wording. 

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

If you read the passage before this one--you will see there are other ways to provide vouchers, and I also am for local money teaching local kids.

So I can take my public school ISD tax with me to a local private school? Cause I think that’s all we’ve been saying since the voucher convo comes up. 

1 minute ago, Youngcoach123 said:

So I can take my public school ISD tax with me to a local private school? Cause I think that’s all we’ve been saying since the voucher convo comes up. 

No--because the state constitution says a "free" public education must be provided--and the state legislature set up property taxes to provide those funds. Out side of local property taxes--you could set up a voucher system if you wanted. But Tyler ISD money--stays in Tyler ISD. That's the whole meaning of LOCAL--again, you could vote out the school district, and not have to pay them. 

But until you get rid of the local school district--your local PROPERTY taxes stay within that district. Because you can't pay for facilities and maintenance without those dollars. And NO ONE in East Texas would want to give up their football stadiums over actual education. LOL

• Roll Eyes 1

4 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

No--because the state constitution says a "free" public education must be provided--and the state legislature set up property taxes to provide those funds. Out side of local property taxes--you could set up a voucher system if you wanted. But Tyler ISD money--stays in Tyler ISD. That's the whole meaning of LOCAL--again, you could vote out the school district, and not have to pay them. 

But until you get rid of the local school district--your local PROPERTY taxes stay within that district. Because you can't pay for facilities and maintenance without those dollars. And NO ONE in East Texas would want to give up their football stadiums over actual education. LOL

How is local money going to teach local kids unless they have to stay in public school? The school ISD tax should go with the kid to the school of his choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

So in other words, all you can come back to is monopolies. I am guessing that poor east Texas public education is the total fault of the teachers--meaning that you won't take any RESPONSIBILITY for your actions as a student. But that is the sign of the times, you gotta blame somebody for something. 

I understand monopolies, do you? 

Monopoly--the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service--Now you are saying that public education has EXCLUSIVE possession and control of the supply of education--OMG--that means that those private schools, charter schools must be part of the monopoly? That means that your student can NOT attend any school they wish to attend--(which is NOT true). 

And why don't more people choose the private school route? Because a public education is granted in the state's constitution--Where it says there has to be a system of "free" education. Maybe you could get that changed--because there is NO free when you have to pay property taxes and sales taxes for education. And why don't people send their kids to private schools--because they ARE NOT FREE!!!!!

I hate to do this again, but you do realize that school districts gather money in several ways--

1. Local property taxes, where the local community VOTED to have school district in that LOCAL area. Which can be overturn or repealed by a vote of the people in that LOCAL area. And as I have said since we started this argument months ago--LOCAL money stays LOCAL!!!!! I have always argued that, and will continue until the day I am laid to rest--because that money is what is best for the LOCAL community. Which includes, city property taxes, county property taxes, hospital property taxes......At least my county voted down a College County property tax, for a school outside of our county. 

2. Money based on attendance to a school district--that money comes from the state--not the LOCAL property taxes. The higher the attendance of the school district the more money they receive. I believe this is more than likely where you should be complaining, but politicians have provided you a message that says you should be allowed to take your LOCAL property tax funds where ever you want. But then that would NOT be LOCAL anymore. maybe you should think of a better way to compensate school districts for state money.

3. Money given to the state to distribute to school districts from the federal government. And even better, this money has to be used based on what program it is involved with--such as special education, special programs, etc.... Maybe instead of spending millions of illegal immigrants that should distribute that money to the all the school districts in the United States. 

BTW--do you think this is the only job I can do? I have worked for 2 major corporations--I have a degree from Stanford in the Sticks (SFA-Sex Fun & Alcohol). I could make more money running internet wire in a warehouse than I can teaching, which might be my next job. So please this guaranteed paycheck thing, that is almost laughable. 

Dude, we’ve beaten this horse multiple times on here and look how far it’s gotten us. 
How about this, 

If i could get it changed in the state constitution &

tax payers,100%, vote in favor of vouchers 

then you would be in favor of vouchers correct? Because as you keep insisting, it’s just not the way the system was setup. So..... let’s change the system so that can happen!!!

If you give the kids a voucher for their allotment of education money would that not be a free education? 

Hate to break it to you, but public school is not free.  No such thing as a free lunch do for you to label the current public schools as free and private and charters as not free is not an apples to apples comparison. 

3 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

So what you are saying is that TEACHERS have no rights--that the inmates....children should have total control--do what they want, not what legal adults want. That is truly East Texan. SMFH

Didn’t say that at all but it has to balance regarding this issue

the kids need to be in school to learn

That’s the root of the problem. 
You insist that the money is property of the isd. 
I say vouchers could make that money belong to the students who live in the area. 

i struggle to see how you can’t see around isd corner

20 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Dude, we’ve beaten this horse multiple times on here and look how far it’s gotten us. 
How about this, 

If i could get it changed in the state constitution &

tax payers,100%, vote in favor of vouchers 

then you would be in favor of vouchers correct? Because as you keep insisting, it’s just not the way the system was setup. So..... let’s change the system so that can happen!!!

I have never said I wasn't in favor of vouchers--In fact a few months ago I mentioned, as yesterday that the state money is up for grabs if you want to do vouchers. But I will NEVER be in favor of taking LOCAL PROPERTY TAXES and sending them to another district. That is nothing more than wealth redistribution--which I am against IN ANY FORM or fashion. 

But again, if you want to take the state sales tax funds and provide vouchers for kids, have at it. Because everyone around the state that purchases something pays into the sales tax. Those folks in school districts, that have been voted on by the people to exist, cannot afford to lose their funds, because someone might want to live in a lower property tax area, but want to send their kids to high powered fancy school. 

As I have said before--school vouchers are nothing more that rich politicians wanting to keep their money and send their kids to private school at the cost of the public. 

Since, we haven't talked about this much--how much should a voucher be--I mean the amount of a voucher? 

23 hours ago, DannyZuco said:
20 hours ago, trashyhound said:

If you give the kids a voucher for their allotment of education money would that not be a free education? 

Hate to break it to you, but public school is not free.  No such thing as a free lunch do for you to label the current public schools as free and private and charters as not free is not an apples to apples comparison. 

I have already stated that, no school is free--they are just paid for differently--one is paid for with property tax dollars, and private schools are paid with private money. 

22 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

How is local money going to teach local kids unless they have to stay in public school? The school ISD tax should go with the kid to the school of his choice. 

Let's see if you can understand this--

Private schools are funded privately--they do NOT have to accept any and everyone. Therefore, they don't get TAX dollars--period. The are NOT held responsible to the local, state, and federal governments. They can do whatever the heck they want to. Including making students take bible classes, anti-bible classes, & ect...... Unlike construction companies and other industries, how will we know if the student is getting an education--will you want the Private schools to take the same STAAR tests that public schools do? When a road is complete, inspectors inspect it, and you have a tangible thing that is completed, that's why you get paid. But that cannot be said in education--what are tangibles that prove our tax dollars were well spent. 

Public Schools are funded through the state process of LOCAL PROPERTY taxes--which fund the maintenance and facilities of the education of the student. And those public schools are held to standards--by the local, state, and federal governments. 

• Roll Eyes 1