Nike Can Go Pound Sand

HearEmaGrowlin

6 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

They deny approval or involvement with them, as Lil Nas X is customizing a brand. Looks gross and messed up to me. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1262280

Yeah, definitely messed up. I saw where they're denying involvement. Makes me wonder though. If true, seems like Nike would have some legal recourse for tarnishing their name. All I know is it's wrong on so many levels. I'll just pray for all of them especially Lil Nas X. 

• Like 1

So let me see if I have this right...

A company bought a bunch (I won't say how many) of Nike shoes, modified them in this way, and then re-sold them?

Do I have that right? That's how I understand it.

I wonder what the law is in this case.

I mean, if I have a pair of Nikes, and I customize them (I draw on them or paint smiley faces on them or whatever) and I sell them on ebay as "Custom Nikes", is that different than starting up a shoe brand called Awesome Shoes, for instance, painting smiley faces on Nikes, leaving the swoosh, and selling them as Awesome Shoes?

That's my question.

51 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

A company bought a bunch (I won't say how many) of Nike shoes, modified them in this way, and then re-sold them?

I mean, if I have a pair of Nikes, and I customize them (I draw on them or paint smiley faces on them or whatever) and I sell them on ebay as "Custom Nikes", is that different than starting up a shoe brand called Awesome Shoes, for instance, painting smiley faces on Nikes, leaving the swoosh, and selling them as Awesome Shoes?

That's my question.

The swoosh is Nike's trademark

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I am very happy I can say I was wrong.

Nike is now suing this clown and formally distancing themselves from the situation.

Apologies for jumping the gun. 

Yep. I was thinking Nike's first reaction was way too mild for my liking. Glad to see they're suing him. I wasn't sure how the laws worked with something like that, but seems like if you leave the logo/swish on something then that company should have some say in what is done with the product.

7 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

Yep. I was thinking Nike's first reaction was way too mild for my liking. Glad to see they're suing him. I wasn't sure how the laws worked with something like that, but seems like if you leave the logo/swish on something then that company should have some say in what is done with the product.

Well, I don't think they're suing him directly. They're suing the people who modified the shoes.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, Vandalman said:

Heard about it in church this morning. My daughter burned all of hers, my wife's and my grandson's Nike gear this afternoon. I'm done with Nike too. Done with Old Town Road also.

Damn sounds like yall wasted some money 

• LOL! 1

On 3/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Done with them, they’re basically worshiping the Deceiver.  The woke society has gone entirely too far. 

Some of you should do your research before spouting off.  They are suing Nas or whatever his name is. https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nike-sues-mschf-for-copyright-infringement-over-satan-shoes-collaboration-with-rapper-lil-nas-x

Some of you are like parents when I was growing up that thought that satanists were kidnapping blonde haired blue eyed kids and black cats to sacrifice them near Seven Pines Rd.  Oddly enough that story even became a rumor 4 years later in Pennsylvania.  I don't know if it started in East Texas, but it was only printed in both the Longview News Journal and the Tyler Morning Telegraph.  https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1992-03-15-2836997-story.html . The same bought into the rumors that acid was being put on kid tatoos.  

26 minutes ago, JETT said:

Damn sounds like yall wasted some money 

I see your point but I guess it depends how you look at it. At the time Nike was definitely not speaking out too loudly against Lil Nas and company. It's not uncommon for this household to dispose of ungodly goods. Glad Nike is taking a stand but maybe a little late. You never know when the rapture will take place. Best to not take chances. I still don't think Nike is deserving too much praise, even if for other reasons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

That's my question.

I think that would make a case for Nas , but there is damage done to Nike's image.  One could argue that they paid Nike by buying the shoes, but it's the damage done to the Nike brand that is where they will win.  I can believe someone would pay over $300 for a pair of shoes.  I won't pay over $70 for a pair of tennis shoes.  $1100 seems way to high, but people got a stimuless check to waste their money on junk like this.  The only way he could get away with it is to alter the Nike swoosh and remove all references to Nike from the shoe itself.  

Just now, Vandalman said:

I see your point but I guess it depends how you look at it. At the time Nike was definitely not speaking out too loudly against Lil Nas and company. It's not uncommon for this household to dispose of ungodly goods. Glad Nike is taking a stand but maybe a little late. You never know when the rapture will take place. Best to not take chances. I still don't think Nike is deserving too much praise, even if for other reasons.

From what I read the shoes didn't come out until Saturday, and then they responded yesterday.  Many offices are closed on the weekends, and Nike probably didn't get the news until like you found out about it.  

6 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Some of you should do your research before spouting off.  They are suing Nas or whatever his name is. https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nike-sues-mschf-for-copyright-infringement-over-satan-shoes-collaboration-with-rapper-lil-nas-x

Some of you are like parents when I was growing up that thought that satanists were kidnapping blonde haired blue eyed kids and black cats to sacrifice them near Seven Pines Rd.  Oddly enough that story even became a rumor 4 years later in Pennsylvania.  I don't know if it started in East Texas, but it was only printed in both the Longview News Journal and the Tyler Morning Telegraph.  https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1992-03-15-2836997-story.html . The same bought into the rumors that acid was being put on kid tatoos.  

In all fairness, when the news first broke Nike was not saying much and how the media was reporting it made it sound as if they had a direct hand in it. 

2 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

From what I read the shoes didn't come out until Saturday, and then they responded yesterday.  Many offices are closed on the weekends, and Nike probably didn't get the news until like you found out about it.  

I can see that. Plus it does take time to consult with lawyers, file suit etc. Either way, considering how the media was coming across, I think my daughter did right. You can't honor God too much.

1 hour ago, Vandalman said:

In all fairness, when the news first broke Nike was not saying much and how the media was reporting it made it sound as if they had a direct hand in it. 

I didn't see anything from the media on it until today.  I did see posts from friends on facebook calling for the same thing of boycotting Nike.  I thought everyone was boycotting Nike after Kaepernick.  I'll still buy my Nike Air Monarchs.  They keep my dogs from barking.  

6 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I didn't see anything from the media on it until today.  I did see posts from friends on facebook calling for the same thing of boycotting Nike.  I thought everyone was boycotting Nike after Kaepernick.  I'll still buy my Nike Air Monarchs.  They keep my dogs from barking.  

Our school may switch to Nike next year...  I’ll wear it, but only because it’s free

4 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Nike has a history of bad.  I switched to Skechers.   Can’t imagine anyone making a more comfortable shoe.

Sketchers always felt like I was walking on a board with a tiny bit of memory foam on it.  The ones I tried on were horrible.  I like the Brooks Ghost

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Nike has a history of bad.  I switched to Skechers.   Can’t imagine anyone making a more comfortable shoe.

Skechers are comfortable.  Just got 2 pair from Amazon last week. Along with good quality socks, they've helped with foot pain I was having. And you're right, Nike doesn't have a good track record.

• Like 1