UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

4 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

As long as it is AD/HC I guess this could be a good job. Renovated stadium, indoor practice facility and went 92-37 from 2010-2019...but any coach that wants this one (imo) better be prepared to deal with a lot of people that think they are a big fish when they are really just in a small pond. Idk, maybe that is the case in every small town.

He was there from 2013-2020 and went 62-33. And let's be honest, the AD duties had fallen by the wayside even when I was there. New coaches in just about every sport every year and "most" of the programs were/are REALLY down. Time to move on for my alum and hopefully better things for the WHOLE program are in store.

We wish him and his family the best of luck moving forward and may god bless them!

• Like 1

One can only guess who started this thread. Yep, good job Henderson admin and board. It’ll be great to see all the coaches that will be aloud to stay after their rehiring and reinterview they are mandated to do with the new HC. So don’t hold out for an AD/HC position. 

Real professional of them to be told to update their resumes and get ready for interviews to keep their jobs. 

henderson the wanna be new dunc. 

• Like 1

A well worded open records request of all communications (email, text, and/or hard copies) of HISD administration, board, and staff concerning any change in the employment status of the HC/AD could shine some daylight on this.  This issue seems a lot deeper than some philosophical differences considering the silence of those in the know.  The downside is it will likely take the full 10 business days to receive a reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Listen, we are here to moderate this site according to the rules posted at the top of every forum on this site.  You signed up to be moderated according to those rules.  We let as much go as we can with these things because we like our active members.  

A few things you should know about us:  1) most of us have a life outside of this forum. I wear “big boy pants” at my real job and father 5 kids.  I don’t need to make money from this site, and to be frank, Smoak doesn’t make #### from you guys posting in this forum.  It costs him money to keep this up so you guys can act like 16 year olds anonymously.  2) If you ever feel like we wronged you, PM us.  We discuss the issue as a whole, and adjust accordingly.  3) if you think we are being bullish and unfair, David does not hide his email from you.  I can tell you this, when he looks up your behavior and finds out you were wrong after one of those, the punishment usually increases.   4) Finally, when you are given a warning or PMed that is us telling you and asking you to stop doing stupid #### so we won’t have to suspend you.  Doing the 16 yr old thing and going at it again leads us to suspend.  The moderators on this site prefer to just read and get insight and opinions from you the fans.  It’s entertaining and enlightening.  Posting rumors from a 3rd party and not a personal experience is and has always been an issue to the owner of this site.  We could have suspended 5 people on the other Henderson thread, instead we just locked it.  Next time, we will just cut out the problem.  Enjoy the site, spread rumors on the FSSW forum thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

This will be the last post that I make on this topic.  Obviously it is disappointing the way things have turned out for Castles and the coaching staff, as there has been much uproar throughout the community.  If you read the kltv, ketk, and several other articles it paints a completely different picture of Castles than the Henderson Daily News article.  The Henderson Daily News article mentions ALL of his accomplishments at HHS.  As far as the next coach, I would hope that a PROVEN winner is hired, otherwise this community and the anger that has been displayed after this may affect folks at the top.  People that want to compare this job to Carthage, which seems to be the norm here, live in an alternate reality than everyone else.  Maybe some Carthage historians can help me here, but I believe Castles is 1 of very coaches anywhere that has beaten Surratt more than once.  Good luck to Coach Castles, and thank you for being a great leader for our kids!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

This will be the last post that I make on this topic.  Obviously it is disappointing the way things have turned out for Castles and the coaching staff, as there has been much uproar throughout the community.  If you read the kltv, ketk, and several other articles it paints a completely different picture of Castles than the Henderson Daily News article.  The Henderson Daily News article mentions ALL of his accomplishments at HHS.  As far as the next coach, I would hope that a PROVEN winner is hired, otherwise this community and the anger that has been displayed after this may affect folks at the top.  People that want to compare this job to Carthage, which seems to be the norm here, live in an alternate reality than everyone else.  Maybe some Carthage historians can help me here, but I believe Castles is 1 of very coaches anywhere that has beaten Surratt more than once.  Good luck to Coach Castles, and thank you for being a great leader for our kids!

That is correct. Castles also had what, 3 or 4 D1 kids playing at that time? More? I honestly am asking because I remember Ebner and VanZant and I feel like there were more. 

I do not believe it was a case of Castles being so good at the Xs and Os. I’m not saying he isn’t, I’m just saying I believe he has underachieved with the talent at hand. This has nothing to do with whether or not he is being mistreated or mishandled, I don’t have an opinion on that because I know nothing about it outside of what I’ve read here. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

Well said.

• Like 1

This man coached my  youngest son in Corsicana.  He told me that Coach Castles was one of the greatest men he had been under while he was there.  A classy coach, and a great family.  I hate Henderson is reassigning him.  But God has a bigger plan.  I wish him and his family the best!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Quality man, not just a great coach. What are these people thinking? 62-33. WOW. They think they’re gonna do better than him? 

The new sheriff in town wants his own guy. He could care less about the character of the man.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, L76 said:

The new sheriff in town wants his own guy. He could care less about the character of the man.

Unfortunately, this is the way it works in education, corporate world, etc... new guy in charge wants his own people regardless. Who knows why, I guess he would rather bet on his new guy instead of a proven winnner at 62-33. Pretty shortsighted and risky . . . or maybe he's just stair-stepping through Henderson. When I was on the school board here in Jacksonville, our new supe told Danny Long he needed to win the next year in 1996 after we went 5-5 in 1995. Forget the fact that Danny completely turned our culture around, playoff wins in 1992, 1993, and the best was yet to come. Didn't matter, he had one rebuilding year in 1995 and went 5-5 so new supe tells him that.  I did not find this out until after the supe had left because Coach Long never ran to school board members to talk out of turn. The rest is history . . . supe left in 1998 and Danny took us to the playoffs every year from 1996-2002 and then he left. 3 deep twice and 4-deep in 2000.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Unfortunately, this is the way it works in education, corporate world, etc... new guy in charge wants his own people regardless. Who knows why, I guess he would rather bet on his new guy instead of a proven winnner at 62-33. Pretty shortsighted and risky . . . or maybe he's just stair-stepping through Henderson. When I was on the school board here in Jacksonville, our new supe told Danny Long he needed to win the next year in 1996 after we went 5-5 in 1995. Forget the fact that Danny completely turned our culture around, playoff wins in 1992, 1993, and the best was yet to come. Didn't matter, he had one rebuilding year in 1995 and went 5-5 so new supe tells him that.  I did not find this out until after the supe had left because Coach Long never ran to school board members to talk out of turn. The rest is history . . . supe left in 1998 and Danny took us to the playoffs every year from 1996-2002 and then he left. 3 deep twice and 4-deep in 2000.    

This is going to get ugly! It’s already ugly the way it’s being handled. Lots of kids and families being affected here. I think it’s about time for Henderson to take their school back.

• Like 4

Sad to hear about this, there was a good group of coaches down there. Whoever does come in and take this job the only downfall is he will probably have to deal with the new administration in the next year or two. But from what I understand that might not be a bad thing.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, Slickarick said:

and..wait for it......3.....2....1.... Baca!

🥱

• Roll Eyes 1

On 4/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

He was there from 2013-2020 and went 62-33. And let's be honest, the AD duties had fallen by the wayside even when I was there. New coaches in just about every sport every year and "most" of the programs were/are REALLY down. Time to move on for my alum and hopefully better things for the WHOLE program are in store.

We wish him and his family the best of luck moving forward and may god bless them!

Castles applied for and was a finalist for Pitt job before bn reassigned

On 4/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, L76 said:

Maybe the new man's guy has just as much class and character?

• Like 1

You just don't realize what you had until it's gone. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way though... GREED is a bad ordeal if a coach was to average 12 or 13 wins a year sometimes an organization will go out of the way to get that next coach who can average 13 or 14 wins they need that ONE more win attitude. And sometimes a consistent and great leader for teenage kids is overlooked and not to mention the coach year in and year out keeps his team competitive the best they can with the tools they are given each year. 

2 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

You just don't realize what you had until it's gone. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way though... GREED is a bad ordeal if a coach was to average 12 or 13 wins a year sometimes an organization will go out of the way to get that next coach who can average 13 or 14 wins they need that ONE more win attitude. And sometimes a consistent and great leader for teenage kids is overlooked and not to mention the coach year in and year out keeps his team competitive the best they can with the tools they are given each year. 

Yep as Bill Parcells said, it’s a “result oriented business”. I personally think it’s more about making productive citizens in society coaching HS. Wins will come but teach those boys how to become a husband and father. As you fellas know being a husband and a father is the hardest “job title” you’ll ever have in your life.

i have no clue why my font changed🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson