UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

21 minutes ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

How about just for fun we keep this thread open for the next 5 years.  Coach Castles will land somewhere and I’m willing to bet, eat crow or whatever that he wins twice the games that Henderson does in the next 5 years.  

Also, Carthage went 6-6 the year after their 5th State Championship.  What happened?  Surratt forgot how to coach?  Why didn’t they run him out of town on a rail?  

Exactly!!!! 

Have no idea where or how to find out what the henderson defense ranked in the state this season, but Castles defense held Gilmer to 22 points this year, which is their lowest total of the year other than the 14 they scored on Carthage.  If Castles was coaching the #1 ranked defense in the state, I would be willing to bet he could've held the Buckeyes to at least 13.

2 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

That was the original plan, I actually suggested a different topic, but you seem to keep thinking that Henderson has had 0 coaching the past 8 years.  If you have been to the same Henderson games as Ithe past couple of years, I have a serious question for you.  I will use Carthage since they are the comparison everyone likes to use.  Hypothetically speaking, if Castles and Surratt swapped places this past year, and each of the schools had the same athletes, would Carthage still have won it all?  Would Henderson have won more games?  I would be willing to bet Carthage still would've won it all, and I highly doubt Surratt would have won more games at Henderson.  Carthage basically has an East Texas All Star team, and kudos to them, but when you dont have the athletes like that it does not matter if Saban is coaching, the outcome will be the same.

You don’t know a lot about Surratt if you believe that...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

We will get a good glimpse at how bad Castles has run the Henderson program into the ground over the next few years. You can’t blame the new coach for this. He has inherited a mess. And I will say this again...Henderson usually has just as good as athletes as Carthage, if not better. Would love to see what Surratt could have done at Henderson the last 10 years. I back what the admin is doing 100%

This sounds exactly like what the Biden Administration is saying about Trump.  Everything makes sense now!

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Several of them played AAU ball (and other leagues) since they were kids. Makes a ton of difference.

So how does that make a difference the previous year? Exact same team, exact same kids that supposedly played AAU ball together so how come they didn’t make a run in the playoffs like they did with the next coach???

7 hours ago, Instigator said:

So how does that make a difference the previous year? Exact same team, exact same kids that supposedly played AAU ball together so how come they didn’t make a run in the playoffs like they did with the next coach???

It makes a ton of difference that they played together for a long play period.

I have a question for you FBC members (goers), how many coaches came through Henderson in the Castle's era?

On 4/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, LionAlum88 said:

That was the original plan, I actually suggested a different topic, but you seem to keep thinking that Henderson has had 0 coaching the past 8 years.  If you have been to the same Henderson games as Ithe past couple of years, I have a serious question for you.  I will use Carthage since they are the comparison everyone likes to use.  Hypothetically speaking, if Castles and Surratt swapped places this past year, and each of the schools had the same athletes, would Carthage still have won it all?  Would Henderson have won more games?  I would be willing to bet Carthage still would've won it all, and I highly doubt Surratt would have won more games at Henderson.  Carthage basically has an East Texas All Star team, and kudos to them, but when you dont have the athletes like that it does not matter if Saban is coaching, the outcome will be the same.

Castles could not have done what Surratt has done. Plain and simple. There have been multiple times they have won in which I, as a Bulldog fan, have easily been able to sit back and say “we won, but I’m not sure they didn’t have more talent”. 

And Surratt most definitely would have won more games at Henderson based on his offensive creativity and play calling alone. Then you can go and consider the staff he puts together. I’m sorry, I just don’t believe Castles is on the same level at all. 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, SUPERKAT17 said:

How about just for fun we keep this thread open for the next 5 years.  Coach Castles will land somewhere and I’m willing to bet, eat crow or whatever that he wins twice the games that Henderson does in the next 5 years.  

Also, Carthage went 6-6 the year after their 5th State Championship.  What happened?  Surratt forgot how to coach?  Why didn’t they run him out of town on a rail?  

Injuries upon injuries upon injuries. Otherwise they may have been another Bulldog team that was less talented than their opposition but still went on to achieve great things. 

Also you answered your own question. “After their 5th state championship.” Can we please stop comparing in any way, a guy who has won NONE to a guy who has won 8? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

We still remember the pre Surratt years; That’s why...😜

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

I was not comparing Castles to Surratt.  I was comparing the athletes they have in Carthage currently to the athletes that Henderson currently has.

It seems that some of you Castles haters have A) either a hard time reading, or B)a lack of understanding of basic english words.  Once again, I was simply comparing the current athletes at each school, NOT comparing Castles to Surratt.  I posed a hypothetical question after that and got one response.  Someone in the Kilgore thread asked if changes were made due to the fact Carthage has had more success.  It seems that some Henderson folks are doing the same.  There is no doubt Surratt is a great coach, the best in East Texas for sure.  Numbers do not lie.  It is pointless for schools to hire and fire based on the success Carthage is currently going through.  I am saying, with the amount of athletes Carthage has, you could call someone down from the bleachers to call plays and they would still probably beat most everyone.

3 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

It seems that some of you Castles haters have A) either a hard time reading, or B)a lack of understanding of basic english words.  Once again, I was simply comparing the current athletes at each school, NOT comparing Castles to Surratt.  I posed a hypothetical question after that and got one response.  Someone in the Kilgore thread asked if changes were made due to the fact Carthage has had more success.  It seems that some Henderson folks are doing the same.  There is no doubt Surratt is a great coach, the best in East Texas for sure.  Numbers do not lie.  It is pointless for schools to hire and fire based on the success Carthage is currently going through.  I am saying, with the amount of athletes Carthage has, you could call someone down from the bleachers to call plays and they would still probably beat most everyone.

I disagree here; Carthage has some pretty darn good athletes for years & didn’t have the same success that they do under Surratt/Preston’s leadership. Preston doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough in these conversations, & he certainly is to a great degree responsible for a lot of Carthage’s success. Defense wins football games, titles & Championships just as much as great Offenses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

I think Carthage has great kids who buy in to the program, but are they really that talented?  I mean how many D1 football players are there on the roster year in and year out?  How many of the kids who got to go play college ball over the last decade get to go if Carthage hasn't had the success they have had?  I feel like the talent differential isn't that big.  I think some of that is excuse making.  If you think the Dawgs have out talented other teams over the last 12 years, i think you are a little delusional. 

Castles is probably a great guy, but I dont think he's that great a coach.  And I think the other sports have struggled under his leadership.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

In case you didn’t know......athletes can be developed to be bigger, stronger, and faster........Preston has had a lot of success in track and field - he gets football players faster by having them run track where at a lot of schools they would be home in front of a TV or gaming device .....Weight room workouts at Carthage are well attended year round - bigger and stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

In case you didn’t know......athletes can be developed to be bigger, stronger, and faster........Preston has had a lot of success in track and field - he gets football players faster by having them run track where at a lot of schools they would be home in front of a TV or gaming device .....Weight room workouts at Carthage are well attended year round - bigger and stronger. 

Like I said; Preston doesn’t get nearly the credit he deserves in these conversations.👌🤨

I agree 100%. Carthage hasn’t became this powerhouse from just having great athletes. Do they have talented athletes? Yes. Does Henderson have talented athletes? Yes. I would say athlete wise, it has been about the same over the years. Carthage has a program and can develop decent players into great ones. That is what some Henderson folks do not understand. 

Does Henderson even have a track program?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

Is there anyone on this site that watched a Carthage game this year as well as a Henderson game?  If you honestly do not think there was a difference in talent level you are delusional.  

It all goes back to developing players. 
The Dawg pups want to be big Dawgs and they work their tails off to be a member of the Big Dawgs. 
Carthage had a great coach in Sleepy but played in one state championship game. 
Coach S has assembled the best coaches in the state that believe in his physical style and philosophy of coaching. 
Coach S is the best in Texas and 
I would say each coach starting with Preston and going all the way through junior high are the very best in Texas at what they do. The talent you see on Friday night started their development in the seventh grade. 
if the entire staff went to any town in Texas tomorrow, they would be winning state championships. 

2 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

I think it is a comparison when you say that he could have done the same or had the same results. How is that not saying he is just as good? 

and like some other posters have said, Carthage has had athletes and talent for a long time with nowhere near the same results under multiple different coaches. 

6 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The Dawg pups want to be big Dawgs and they work their tails off to be a member of the Big Dawgs. 
Coach S has assembled the best coaches in the state that believe in his physical style and philosophy of coaching. 
I would say each coach starting with Preston and going all the way through junior high are the very best in Texas at what they do. The talent you see on Friday night started their development in the seventh grade. 
if the entire staff went to any town in Texas tomorrow, they would be winning state championships. 

I agree with 90% of what you said. They won't at any town in Texas.

On 4/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, VonG said:

I agree with 90% of what you said. They won't at any town in Texas.

Yea maybe not literally any town, lol.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, LionAlum88 said:

Is there anyone on this site that watched a Carthage game this year as well as a Henderson game?  If you honestly do not think there was a difference in talent level you are delusional.  

I’m sure they were not as talented this year as last years Carthage team. Not many teams could be, as it was one of the more talented teams Carthage has had IMO. 

But I think year to year Henderson typically has athletes/talent on par with Carthage and many other schools. 

18 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I think it is a comparison when you say that he could have done the same or had the same results. How is that not saying he is just as good? 

and like some other posters have said, Carthage has had athletes and talent for a long time with nowhere near the same results under multiple different coaches. 

I understand exactly what you are saying.  When Carthage was bad back in the day, it was because of poor coaching.  Now that they are good, it is because of good coaching.  The years Henderson hasn't had a good record under Castles, it was because of bad coaching.  When Henderson was good under Castles, it was all athletes and no coaching.  Once again, makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

False

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Lot of coaching has cost them some games. Typical offensive scheme that you literally play all game and no adjustments can do that. Henderson usually always had the talent.

Wasn't Henderson in the Quarterfinals 4 or 5 times in the Castles years?  Semis once maybe?  (I haven't looked this up just trying to go by memory) 

Not sure I saw the talent level on the field this year that there has been in the past in Henderson......

On 4/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, Valhalla said:

False

On 4/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

if the entire staff went to any town in Texas tomorrow, they would be winning state championships

"if the entire staff went to any town in Texas tomorrow, they would be winning state championships."
---dumbest comment of the day award, and there have been a lot of dumb comments on this thread

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

We still remember the pre Surratt years; That’s why...😜

I saw the transformation of Carthage from pre-Surratt to the current Surratt dynasty... 

Carthage was not a desirable school district.  I mean it had its perks, but EF, Marshall, Kilgore, Longview, etc etc etc were all considered more desirable schools for athletics.  People would not have left the surrounding towns to move to Carthage so their kids could go to school there...  That is a fact.

Some admin changed, Surratt is hired.  A quick but steady change in the culture of the Carthage athlete transformed that school and town into a winner.  Carthage used to be known as "crazy town" due to the extremely high number of mental health facilities needed to help the population.  Now its known (similar to Aledo) as Title Town.  People go there to succeed.  The town went from a less than desirable place to live 25 years ago, to highly sought after property for all income levels.   I, personally, love it.  I want more towns to be able to transform the way Carthage has.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Yes just was a rough year . Qb play wasn’t a smooth transition like the fastest athlete as in the past.

Agreed. From what I saw, different from the past, there wasn't just that one DUDE that was special you could put at Qb and just let them go get it.  For that matter, there didn't seem to be that one DUDE that could go get it from any offensive position or perspective.  Just ONE of those type of guys makes a huge difference, I don't care who the coach is.  But that can go for any school.  Pleasant Grove didn't have AS GOOD of a year this year as they had been having.  Should they get rid of that guy? ha ha.  Bottom line.....when new administration comes in, this is part of the business in coaching.  Why does it have to be anyone's fault?  They might just want their own guys.  That's part of it.  It stinks for the coaches there that may be on their way out, but that's the job.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson