UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

Been at this job almost 28 years. Retiring after this year. For those that ask about what other coaches thought about Coach Castles. He is well respected as a Coach and a Person as anyone can be in this field.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Saban needs to fluff his Bama retirement with a strong TRS retirement to supplement it

lol..just buy years and have a crisp retirement check. What's crazy is any state school ( college) is also eligible for TRS. 

I've read several comments comparing the actual number of athletes Henderson and Carthage had. Both teams have had their share of skilled athletes, but I can guarantee you that they have not had the same talent on OL\DL and that's where the play begins and success starts.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

Agree 100%. Would love to know what the coaches around East Texas think of Castles. He applied for two jobs and did not even come close to getting them. 

He got second at Pitt and at Atlanta. Could have sworn being second was close but I guess not...

5 minutes ago, KingLeo said:

I've read several comments comparing the actual number of athletes Henderson and Carthage had. Both teams have had their share of skilled athletes, but I can guarantee you that they have not had the same talent on OL\DL and that's where the play begins and success starts.

Bingo! But the "clowns in the bleachers" have no clue about what it takes to have a great offense and defense...it all starts with the offensive and defensive lines...at ALL levels...listening to those guys spew hate and ignorance on Friday nights is one of the toughest things to do...thank God I don't have to anymore. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Instigator said:

He got second at Pitt and at Atlanta. Could have sworn being second was close but I guess not...

I was taught by some good coaches second was always the first loser.

IDK the answer to this but does anyone know how many outright district championships did he win in football?

On 4/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, 514 said:

Been at this job almost 28 years. Retiring after this year. For those that ask about what other coaches thought about Coach Castles. He is well respected as a Coach and a Person as anyone can be in this field.

25 years for me and also retired (3 years ago) and those are the same reactions I got when I talked to coaches in all parts of the state about Coach Castles. I asked MANY coaches about him when my son was going to work for him as an assistant and they ALL, without hesitation, said the same thing...there is not a better coach that my son could have for his first job...not only to learn x's and o's but to also grow spiritually and be a better man...and they were exactly correct. My son loves him like a brother and would work for him again in a heartbeat...sad that the young men in Henderson will not have the opportunity to be mentored by a God fearing, humble, selfless man...all because of selfish, ego driven politics by a few clowns in the community...best of luck Coach Castles and congratulations to whoever gets one of the best coaches and leaders in Texas High school football.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I was taught by some good coaches second was always the first loser.

IDK the answer to this but does anyone know how many outright district championships did he win in football?

More importantly...how many lives has he changed during his tenure at Henderson...how many young men has he mentored to be better husbands, fathers and leaders...but of course that isn't your care is it? You fit the description of the clowns in the bleachers to a tee!!

• Like 1

Question- Why can't a coach be a "great guy" and a "great/good" coach? 

It's a GREAT thing for a coach to be a good person and build peoples character but last time we all checked the school districts pay the performance of being an AD/HFC. If them two duties fall by the wayside what is a school district supposed to do?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

It's a GREAT thing for a coach to be a good person and build peoples character but last time we all checked the school districts pay the performance of being an AD/HFC. If them two duties fall by the wayside what is a school district supposed to do?

There are many coaches that can be both...congratulations, you just fired one of the best at both.

Just now, blesseddaily said:

There are many coaches that can be both...congratulations, you just fired one of the best at both.

So he was great at his AD duties? Prove it with a link please. Plus football players were moving out of there left and right.

Now prove me wrong big boy!

On 4/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Yea that's great and ideal even if you can do both, but if you can do only one you should probably be the great coach when in position of a HFC and/or AD.  Since, you know, the job is to coach football. Is some of you guys' favorite movie Facing the Giants or something?

On 4/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, blesseddaily said:

More importantly...how many lives has he changed during his tenure at Henderson...how many young men has he mentored to be better husbands, fathers and leaders...but of course that isn't your care is it? You fit the description of the clowns in the bleachers to a tee!!

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but can't those things all be done in the classroom, maybe at church and outside of school?  Not just as a football coach on the football field, where the primary duties and responsibilities is literally to coach and win football games.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Yea that's great and ideal even if you can do both, but if you can do only one you should probably be the great coach when in position of a HFC and/or AD.  Since, you know, the job is to coach football. Is some of you guys' favorite move Facing the Giants or something?

I can think of two off the top of my head that are local and I know there is a lot more.

Surratt and John King.

2 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

So he was great at his AD duties? Prove it with a link please. Plus football players were moving out of there left and right.

Now prove me wrong big boy!

He has proven you wrong with his record and the quality of man he is...that's what makes you and the rest of the "Bleacher Clowns" so mad...he is a proven winner and will be wherever he goes...and you will have degraded the athletic program by hiring someone inferior. Sad for the kids but you and the rest of the circus deserve everything you get.

• LOL! 1

Just now, blesseddaily said:

He has proven you wrong with his record and the quality of man he is...that's what makes you and the rest of the "Bleacher Clowns" so mad...he is a proven winner and will be wherever he goes...and you will have degraded the athletic program by hiring someone inferior. Sad for the kids but you and the rest of the circus deserve everything you get.

Do you already know who the new coach will be? Truly asking. Since you have determined its someone "inferior".   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but can't those things all be done in the classroom, maybe at church and outside of school?  Not just as a football coach on the football field, where the primary duties and responsibilities is literally to coach and win football games.  

Actually the pay is split IMO.

Half- HFC

Half- AD

Whoever they hire they can only get closer to being the next Argyle :rofl:

• LOL! 1

On 4/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, mikehoncho said:

They definitely can and are done in all those places but unfortunately the times are changing...many of the young men that coaches come in  contact with don't have family, church or anybody else to help show them how to be better men. Many grow up in households with no father and never step foot in a church...those are the ones that need the special touch by someone that can mentor them to be better and become a responsible adult...in fact that is the most rewarding aspect of coaching and teaching!

On 4/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, mikehoncho said:

Do you already know who the new coach will be? Truly asking. Since you have determined its someone "inferior".   

Yes, that was presumptive on my part BUT considering how the supe and asst. supe have acted I believe all they will be able to hire is a "yes" man that will just do exactly what the two head clowns want...no coach worth his salt will put up with being watched at practice and then critiqued and lectured on how "they should be doing it" from an assistant supe or anybody else as far as that goes...believe me, the coaching circles are small and word travels fast...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

They definitely can and are done in all those places but unfortunately the times are changing...many of the young men that coaches come in  contact with don't have family, church or anybody else to help show them how to be better men. Many grow up in households with no father and never step foot in a church...those are the ones that need the special touch by someone that can mentor them to be better and become a responsible adult...in fact that is the most rewarding aspect of coaching and teaching!

Fair enough. And I definitely wasn't saying that it isn't good to have someone who has a good moral compass and can teach their players more than just the game of football in the position of HFC.  But I guess I also am not seeing why all the intense uproar and fury from some before even knowing who the new coach will be?    

Nick Saban does both with extreme success on the football field. Hate to use him as an example because he's in a league of his own but some of these people act like he accomplished a lot as an AD/hfc.

From my understanding he knew this was coming months ago. So what's the uproar all about?

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson