UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

18 hours ago, CoachChunkyPunter43 said:

You know Boss, I don’t mind periodically throwing in a single-wing look. Shoot, with the right go-daddies we might even open the playbook up and throw the ball 5-6 times a game!

Whoa whoa whoa...  take it down a notch. No reason to get crazy. You start throwing the ball all over the place who knows what might happen. 

ezgif-7-eef38a0b10a0.gif

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

So, we still don't know any names? Judging by this thread...no one has a clue about what is going on in Henderson.

You are correct Sir.

I'm guessing someone with ties to Duncanville.

Or, an African-American gentleman with ties to Henderson and a strong college football background.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:50 AM, centex1 said:

Everybody complains about the flexbone its not this its not that. But nobody ever complains about it winning. 

That’s right! We’re not hear to be entertaining! We’re here to win games! #powderriverfootball

On 4/22/2021 at 12:25 PM, CoachChunkyPunter43 said:

That’s right! We’re not hear to be entertaining! We’re here to win games! #powderriverfootball

But... winning games is awfully entertaining!

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

You are correct Sir.

I'm guessing someone with ties to Duncanville.

Or, an African-American gentleman with ties to Henderson and a strong college football background.

Coach Brown would be a good one. Collegiate coach. Was there for the state run. Don't know if he is still coaching or not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, centex1 said:

Everybody complains about the flexbone its not this its not that. But nobody ever complains about it winning. 

How many of these are FlexBone?

1A Six-Man Division 2 - Richland Springs

2A Division 1 - Refugio

2A Division 2 - Mart

3A Division 1 - Grandview

3A Division 2 - Gunter

4A Division 1 - Carthage

4A Division 2 - Texarkana Pleasant Grove

5A Division 1 - Alvin Shadow Creek

5A Division 2 - Aledo

6A Division 1 - Galena Park North Shore

6A Division 2 - Austin Westlake

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, centex1 said:

Y’all showed everyone what that offense can do with athletes. Not saying Henderson would go to that but they have athletes to make noise with it

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

Jay Brown, Jacksonville class of 1982. Current DC at Nac, 19-year collegiate coaching career. Brilliant coach and an even better man. 

2006 (9-3) Glen Tunstall
2007 (5-5) Glen Tunstall 
2008 (3-7) Booker Bowie
2009 (6-5) Booker Bowie
2010 (1-9) Lance Angel
2011 (7-4) Lance Angel
2012 (7-4) Lance Angel
2013 (7-4) Lance Angel
2014 (1-9) Jay Brown 
2015 (1-9) 139-475 Robby Clark
2016 (5-5) 269-279 Robby Clark
2017 (4-6) 315-365 Robby Clark
2018 (3-7) 227-315 Robby Clark 

Don't know him personally.  Maybe someone from Palestine can enlighten me on how his tenure was over there.  Was there a lack of talent?  Seems like they had a decent record the previous few years prior to his arrival.  I remember they were not very good the first couple years they joined our district.

8 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Y’all showed everyone what that offense can do with athletes. Not saying Henderson would go to that but they have athletes to make noise with it

Waskom could run whatever system they want and be successful with the kids they have had the last 8 years.

16 hours ago, RKS21 said:

How many of these are FlexBone?

1A Six-Man Division 2 - Richland Springs

2A Division 1 - Refugio

2A Division 2 - Mart

3A Division 1 - Grandview

3A Division 2 - Gunter

4A Division 1 - Carthage

4A Division 2 - Texarkana Pleasant Grove

5A Division 1 - Alvin Shadow Creek

5A Division 2 - Aledo

6A Division 1 - Galena Park North Shore

6A Division 2 - Austin Westlake

Mart didn’t win it this year. But of course you are gonna have more spread teams in the finals cause you have more teams that run spread or pro style offenses. So the odds are in their favor. But ask Georgia Tech if they are happy with the direction of their W/L record since they got rid of Paul Johnson. Or just look at his record as a head coach it’s way above .500. Or how does Navy compete with Norte Dame year in and year out? Should that happen? No. So why does it? Or how does Army go into the big house and have Michigan 21-21 in the 4th qtr? 

discounting the offense ...it has its merits...but of the colleges you named, how many have played for a title? how many state champs above 3a running that ? amarillo tascosa ran it year before last to the finals ...if you only see the offense once every blue moon it is hard to prepare for but it is possible to slow it down and beat.

13 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

Is this the same Coach Brown that was at Palestine a few years back?

Same. Worked with him before. Great man and coach. His tenure at Palestine does not show what this man can do. I may call him up to work with him over there if he indeed does get this Job. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, po-coach said:

discounting the offense ...it has its merits...but of the colleges you named, how many have played for a title? how many state champs above 3a running that ? amarillo tascosa ran it year before last to the finals ...if you only see the offense once every blue moon it is hard to prepare for but it is possible to slow it down and beat.

I am not saying that you will win a championship every year I am saying that you can win running the Flexbone. Would you rather go 8-4 or 4-8? 

you run what you run for 2 reasons....you know it and have complete faith in it...or... you have the chuckys and joes to execute ....long time coaching i have seen success and failure from both of these...same goes on defense...heard w.t. johnson speak about trying different defenses but went back to what he knew in the diamond 7...had a lot of success....if you as a coach are capable of convincing your players that you can have success with the flexbone then by all means do it!! i think too many people jump on the spread traIN  anyway cuz it looks like you can make it fit any type kid....wrong answer...

21 hours ago, LionAlum88 said:

2006 (9-3) Glen Tunstall
2007 (5-5) Glen Tunstall 
2008 (3-7) Booker Bowie
2009 (6-5) Booker Bowie
2010 (1-9) Lance Angel
2011 (7-4) Lance Angel
2012 (7-4) Lance Angel
2013 (7-4) Lance Angel
2014 (1-9) Jay Brown 
2015 (1-9) 139-475 Robby Clark
2016 (5-5) 269-279 Robby Clark
2017 (4-6) 315-365 Robby Clark
2018 (3-7) 227-315 Robby Clark 

Don't know him personally.  Maybe someone from Palestine can enlighten me on how his tenure was over there.  Was there a lack of talent?  Seems like they had a decent record the previous few years prior to his arrival.  I remember they were not very good the first couple years they joined our district.

He never coached Palestine. Was hired in the Spring but didn’t get to the Fall to coach. I don’t know who went 1-9 there. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He never coached Palestine. Was hired in the Spring but didn’t get to the Fall to coach. I don’t know who went 1-9 there. 

https://www.palestineherald.com/sports/palestine-football-head-coach-jay-brown-turns-in-his-resignation-letters/article_86e2b07e-a1d5-11e4-a64c-cf7bf55f54d8.html

This makes it sound like he coached one season then resigned in January?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Has he been an AD at any other school? I see he has had a few successful years in the college ranks and as an asst high school coach, but not getting to recruit your own guys is a completely different game I would imagine.

14 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

He coached there. Great man and was a big part in Henderson's runs in 10-11. I just don't think he's gonna be the man. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't someone out of the DFW area.

23 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Maybe I’m mistaken.... I didn’t think he actually got to football season.... I may be wrong (?) 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson