UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

17 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

There is no way I would leave RICE for Henderson TX.....EVER.....I wouldn't care if I was equipment guy.  Henderson is on a down slide in athletes and the job doesn't even have AD attached, so it won't pay much at all.  I think the people in Henderson have delusional visions of grandeur about how attractive this job is.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, chubbychecker said:

There is no way I would leave RICE for Henderson TX.....EVER.....I wouldn't care if I was equipment guy.  Henderson is on a down slide in athletes and the job doesn't even have AD attached, so it won't pay much at all.  I think the people in Henderson have delusional visions of grandeur about how attractive this job is.  🤷‍♂️

Down slide in athletes?? Henderson had several athletes on varsity, several juniors. Freshman had several athletes. Records don’t always speak for ability or potential. Coaching has a lot to do with that. Building relationships with players where they want to play for you can turn that around fast. 7th and 8th were loaded this year.  Little off on your statement. Or maybe a lot. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, LIONMAN said:

Down slide in athletes?? Henderson had several athletes on varsity, several juniors. Freshman had several athletes. Records don’t always speak for ability or potential. Coaching has a lot to do with that. Building relationships with players where they want to play for you can turn that around fast. 7th and 8th were loaded this year.  Little off on your statement. Or maybe a lot. 

I stand by what I said.  Maybe you don't know what you're talking about.  Look at the regular season schedule.  IMO only 3 schools on their schedule don't have better athletes than Henderson does.   I am not talking about their record at all, I saw the athletes that were on the field.  I saw their junior highs play.  They are good, but loaded, that's a stretch.  If you think their are as good of athletes at HHS now that have been in the past, you are way off.  

On 4/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

That had one bad year . Not great but is a good gig especially an up and coming coach. Facilities are top notch and support is there. Plus Henderson is home . He is well liked and more than capable.

I don't care if they won state last year, lol.  I am not leaving college football for a head coach only job that doesn't pay squat.  Do you know what D1 college football coaches make?  Even the lesser assistants are gonna make ALOT more than what this job will pay with no athletic director attached to it.

besides Mabank and Spring Hill on the schedule, who else would Henderson out athlete on paper.....?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Sometimes $$$ ain’t everything 

Nope and if they get a D1 college coach to take that pay cut and come to Henderson, I will say how wrong I was.  🤣🤣

On 4/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, Lumberlion82 said:

No  word of  who all threw their names in the hat

Baca, Swaim, and Strong withdrew early in the process

• Like 1

Yes relationships are a huge part of success.  And coach player relationships are some of the strongest and most meaningful.  But something equally important is having an admin that cares about the community and not just promoting themselves to move on.  The superintendent isn't invested.  HISD is a stepping stone for him.  He already upset the community by doing what he did to a great coach and man.  He just wants to build his empire.  This decision will not be a good one for Henderson ISD.  And from what it sounds like, he already had his guy before interviews started.  I live in Henderson.  And we the people are not happy.  Henderson is going down a bad road.  When the board is brainwashed it can't be good.

2 hours ago, BiggestSportsFan said:

Yes relationships are a huge part of success.  And coach player relationships are some of the strongest and most meaningful.  But something equally important is having an admin that cares about the community and not just promoting themselves to move on.  The superintendent isn't invested.  HISD is a stepping stone for him.  He already upset the community by doing what he did to a great coach and man.  He just wants to build his empire.  This decision will not be a good one for Henderson ISD.  And from what it sounds like, he already had his guy before interviews started.  I live in Henderson.  And we the people are not happy.  Henderson is going down a bad road.  When the board is brainwashed it can't be good.

"We the people"?   I don't think its all the people.  

3 hours ago, LIONMAN said:

"We the people"?   I don't think its all the people.  

It is definitely a majority.  You take a poll.  You will see this town is not happy with the leadership.  People who work in the district are even frustrated.  The public knows that he is not here to make this a better place.  It is about self promotion.  I just hope that the athletes get a good coach.  Not just one of "his guys" like a lot of people think.  Bringing an outsider who has no ties or investment in our district and community is a bad move. I don't think you can deny that.  I hope we are wrong about this.  I doubt it though.  There have been a lot of good names thrown around when people talk about who it could potentially be.  I doubt it will be any of the ones I've heard.  They are way too good to want to work in this type of situation.  It's disappointing.

49 minutes ago, BiggestSportsFan said:

It is definitely a majority.  You take a poll.  You will see this town is not happy with the leadership.  People who work in the district are even frustrated.  The public knows that he is not here to make this a better place.  It is about self promotion.  I just hope that the athletes get a good coach.  Not just one of "his guys" like a lot of people think.  Bringing an outsider who has no ties or investment in our district and community is a bad move. I don't think you can deny that.  I hope we are wrong about this.  I doubt it though.  There have been a lot of good names thrown around when people talk about who it could potentially be.  I doubt it will be any of the ones I've heard.  They are way too good to want to work in this type of situation.  It's disappointing.

Dickey Meeks says "hello"

• Like 1

If it is a former HHS Lion here are some of the relatively younger guys I tracked down who are currently coaching. Im sure there's more

Drew Coleman- Rice University(previously coached at Blinn and TCU) NFL draft pick and TCU star

Derek Thurmond- Spring Westfield HS

Robert Tamplin- Tenaha(former Tenaha HC)

Lester Johnson- Corpus Christi Flour Bluff HS

Clay Baker- Carlisle HS HC

Justin Horton - Kaufman HS (Former Oklahoma State TE) also coached in college

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:22 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Dickey Meeks says "hello"

Was the last Supt. Boles a outsider or did he have Henderson ties or investments.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:39 PM, EastTX2dabone said:

If it is a former HHS Lion here are some of the relatively younger guys I tracked down who are currently coaching. Im sure there's more

Drew Coleman- Rice University(previously coached at Blinn and TCU) NFL draft pick and TCU star

Derek Thurmond- Spring Westfield HS

Robert Tamplin- Tenaha(former Tenaha HC)

Lester Johnson- Corpus Christi Flour Bluff HS

Clay Baker- Carlisle HS HC

Justin Horton - Kaufman HS (Former Oklahoma State TE) also coached in college

Tony Montgomery Ft. Worth Arlington Heights DC

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson