UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Number of wins does not determine how good of a coach a person is or how good of an athletic director he/she is --- In either direction...............8 wins a year at Allen in football is not the same as 8 wins a year at Queen City

Talent on the football field and other sports, talent walking the halls of the high school and not playing a single sport, how he/she treats the athletes, how he/she does things in the community, etc all have to be considered.............no matter the school

I somewhat agree, but if you’re attempting to compare Henderson to Allen then that’s wrong. From afar, I get the gist that Henderson thinks they can be Carthage. That’s not happening. How many 16-0 seasons has Henderson had? An 11 win season in Henderson is incredible...heck an 11 win season ANYWHERE is incredible... and Castles had 3 of them in 8 years. 

P.S. I’d be willing to bet that the majority of people in Henderson aren’t very happy with how all this went down. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, UnclePigg said:

I somewhat agree, but if you’re attempting to compare Henderson to Allen then that’s wrong. From afar, I get the gist that Henderson thinks they can be Carthage. That’s not happening. How many 16-0 seasons has Henderson had? An 11 win season in Henderson is incredible...heck an 11 win season ANYWHERE is incredible... and Castles had 3 of them in 8 years. 

What’s done is done.  Let’s hope Castles has great success in GW as the new DC (except when they play SH) and Henderson too under new leadership (except when they play SH).  🤷‍♂️

On 5/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, dillonpanthers said:

Robinson's past head coaching stops

Screenshot_20210501-091535_Samsung Internet.jpg

22-40. What makes the powers that be in Henderson think that the new guy is all of a sudden going to come in and win 11 games?

On 5/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, PantherNation2015 said:

What’s done is done.  Let’s hope Castles has great success in GW as the new DC (except when they play SH) and Henderson too under new leadership (except when they play SH).  🤷‍♂️

That’s certainly a fair observation 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Number of wins does not determine how good of a coach a person is or how good of an athletic director he/she is --- In either direction...............8 wins a year at Allen in football is not the same as 8 wins a year at Queen City

Talent on the football field and other sports, talent walking the halls of the high school and not playing a single sport, how he/she treats the athletes, how he/she does things in the community, etc all have to be considered.............no matter the school

3 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

EA95958A-161A-4643-AD1C-70E03E97DD85.png
I just have a hard time concurring with your statement that the program was falling apart. He has 1 bad year (in a year that was 2020) and everything is falling apart, kids are moving away, etc? Cmon man I’m not buying that for 1 second. As I mentioned earlier, Castles averaged 8 wins a year during his Henderson tenure. I’m beginning to think he may have been the victim of the new superintendent’s “personal” agenda; not the first time and certainly not the last time something like that will happen in small town Texas 

Nothing wrong with Castles coaching. There are some people here upset but that’s everywhere you go. The only people that will ever see it the way it is are the ones not involved in the program. I was told years ago that being a coach was very difficult. When you hire on, 1/3 wants you another 1/3 doesn’t and the other 1/3 doesn’t care. As time goes on, the numbers grow in the don’t want you section whether it be from not winning or just from parents not being satisfied with their kids playing time. Coaches like Phil will move on and certainly have success wherever he goes. It’s tough for his family and the other families involved. Henderson will also move on and at some point will have success again as we have always had athletes to do so. Good luck coach on your new endeavors and good luck to Henderson on theirs. The people here are not satisfied with the recent playoff success, which other than a championship in 2010 has been better than any other coach before. I guess we are wishing we had Carthage’s success but that is also everyone else in the state of Texas. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, UnclePigg said:

Gone down hill?? Castles averaged 8 wins a season! He has 145 wins as a head coach! I say this not being from Henderson or knowing Castles, but I can guarantee you he’s just a little bit better coach than the guy they hired. The new hire may very well prove me wrong, but I have a hard time justifying reassigning a guy that averaged 8 wins per season, and had one bad season. I mean is a coach not allowed one bad season out of 8??

Well, Castles has impeccable integrity and many schools would love that record but there were some serious problems. Not much in the way of discipline, not much in the way of care for success in the entirety of the whole athletic department. Castles may be intelligent, but it is a narrowly defined intelligence. 

As for Robinson, the problems at Crowley had more to do with an egomaniacal head caoch. Also, there were lots of schools that they could not compete with in their district. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

This was coming along. Talk been around for a couple of years. I wish him well in Gladewater. 

He will be there a year and then be a Head Coach again.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

P.S. I’d be willing to bet that the majority of people in Henderson aren’t very happy with how all this went down. 

Wrong. Minority and it's not close. He has one certain church that supports him and the rest were not happy with the WHOLE program as in athletics. And you still haven't answered the question that was proposed to you. I would be willing to bet your judging straight off hearsay from another town.

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

8 wins will get Chad Morris fired in Allen. 

4 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Wrong. Minority and it's not close. He has one certain church that supports him and the rest were not happy with the WHOLE program as in athletics. And you still haven't answered the question that was proposed to you. I would be willing to bet your judging straight off hearsay from another town.

What was that question you proposed? Sorry I missed it. I can certainly see the church thing; typical small town stuff that’s dealt with in every small town 

50 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

22-40. What makes the powers that be in Henderson think that the new guy is all of a sudden going to come in and win 11 games?

Powers to be? They had a selection committee lol

21 minutes ago, StillALion said:

Desoto girls will be ranked #1 in the state and possibly #1 on the nation (top 5 for sure) to start next year.  3 of the 5 starters are back including the MVP of the state tournament this year ... all three are 4 star recruits and ranked in the top 50 players in America for the 2022 class.  They are 6-2, 6-3, and 6-4 which is bigger than probably 75% of the front lines for most boys HS teams.

The tallest player on Henderson’s boys roster this year was listed as 6-2. 

That proves the point good players find good coaches.

On 4/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, nacdragon07 said:

Wow way to write him off already. 

Yeah, time to get over what's happened and get behind the man brought in to coach the kids.  It's done.  If you don't like it, vote out the school board members.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, UnclePigg said:

I certainly may be jumping the gun, and the new guy may be the next Scott Surratt, but man you can’t argue that Castles was a very successful coach 

Castles was a decent coach.  IMO he probably should have done better with the talent he had on those 11 win seasons.

As was said before, people like to go to number of wins in a season.  Don't you have to look at competition?  If you got all those pre-district wins against lower classification schools that aren't very good, that's kind of padding the ol stats, right?  District championships and playoff success are what you really have to measure a coach by, when it comes to the game.  You can definitely be pleased that he taught the kids great morals and values.  That is very important.  In the end, the job is to win football games that count.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Yeah, time to get over what's happened and get behind the man brought in to coach the kids.  It's done.  If you don't like it, vote out the school board members.

Castles was a decent coach.  IMO he probably should have done better with the talent he had on those 11 win seasons.

As was said before, people like to go to number of wins in a season.  Don't you have to look at competition?  If you got all those pre-district wins against lower classification schools that aren't very good, that's kind of padding the ol stats, right?  District championships and playoff success are what you really have to measure a coach by, when it comes to the game.  You can definitely be pleased that he taught the kids great morals and values.  That is very important.  In the end, the job is to win football games that count.

He made it to the 4th round 3 times! That’s success! No other coach from here or Carthage has done that except Surratt. Decent? Really? 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, UnclePigg said:

How in the world does this record get the Hendo head job.   Wow

Good luck!

On 5/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, BlackShirtD said:

How in the world does this record get the Hendo head job.   Wow

Good luck!

Makes me wonder who all else applied and was considered. Was this the best option of applicants?

On 5/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, touchdownlsu said:

He made it to the 4th round 3 times! That’s success! No other coach from here or Carthage has done that except Surratt. Decent? Really? 

I think what he was saying is that maybe more was expected given the talent that took the field during his time there. I feel like Hendo should have been able to pull a championship at least one of those years that they exited in the 4th. 

Like congrats and all that you made it that far however many times, but if the current folks in charge believe that he was never going to get further in that, then you got to make a move at some point. I have no idea if what they just hired will be better, same or worse. But I get making a move. 

6 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I think what he was saying is that maybe more was expected given the talent that took the field during his time there. I feel like Hendo should have been able to pull a championship at least one of those years that they exited in the 4th. 

Like congrats and all that you made it that far however many times, but if the current folks in charge believe that he was never going to get further in that, then you got to make a move at some point. I have no idea if what they just hired will be better, same or worse. But I get making a move. 

The only year I think they had more talent was 2016. Still “Carthage” got it done. They had Ingram. They had a few years where the talent was good but still had to go through Carthage. Here we go again, how many other teams can say the same thing? Very few. La Vega, Argyle, Liberty Hill, El Campo etc. Henderson has had their fair share of talent throughout my 40 years of following just like the last few. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that it was time for a change but I don’t think this change will work out. Only time will tell.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson