UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson

Slickarick

4 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Henderson cleaned house...head football,  volleyball, girls and boys basketball all posted 

More coming I'm hearing. A lot of the programs had really taken a nose dive over the last several years.

But hey on a positive note I just received an alert where Henderson's girls were headed to the regional finals in soccer. WTG Henderson Girls Soccer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

More coming I'm hearing. A lot of the programs had really taken a nose dive over the last several years.

But hey on a positive note I just received an alert where Henderson's girls were headed to the regional finals in soccer. WTG Henderson Girls Soccer!

Must be one of the programs that took a nose dive. 

3 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Basketball made the third round of the playoffs for the first time in 30 years last year, and the coach gets let go. Guessing assistant superintendent really wants that spot lol.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LionTed93 said:

Basketball made the third round of the playoffs for the first time in 30 years last year, and the coach gets let go. Guessing assistant superintendent really wants that spot lol.

You’re on to something, stay tuned...

2 minutes ago, LionTed93 said:

There’s a reason that head football job is just that and no AD. 

Head basketball girls and boys, and Head volleyball all open.. what's next soccer, softball and baseball? 

6 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

4 hours ago, chubbychecker said:

Must be one of the programs that took a nose dive. 

Those girls are outstanding soccer players.

Most of them play together on a club team, so that is probably a huge benefit to the program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ijustwatch said:

Henderson is a nice town with good facilities. How do they let a few outside folks ruin what they had going?

Keeping it as nice as I can say it, trying to bring a Duncanville, big city mentality way of working things to a small town and school and it’s just not going to work. They’ll find out. 

17 hours ago, BigBoy44 said:

Change will always be good for some and bad for others, human nature. Let the new administration do what they do and if it doesnt work, you can dance on their grave if u would like.

This is the most spot-on and most productive post so far in these threads...  You are absolutely right.  I have disliked some of my bosses because they were bad at their job (in my opinion), but they didn't last long.  I got to quietly celebrate in my head while the fans of the town/city celebrated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LionTed93 said:

Keeping it as nice as I can say it, trying to bring a Duncanville, big city mentality way of working things to a small town and school and it’s just not going to work. They’ll find out. 

It's usually not a match, but sometimes they will surprise you.  I was beside myself when my AD got let go this year and they split the AD roles... but stepping back and watching the past semester, I think its all going to be okay.  I have seen where a ton of 4A schools are separating the role of AD from coaching completely, siting that the financial part goes to the wayside when combined with a busy HC job (football being the most common reference.)  Be frustrated, be worried, but also give it a chance.  The football HC stipend may still be big enough to attract high quality candidates.  The real issue will be keeping them when they start winning...

• Like 2

I think we need to start a new thread that reads, "Who will be the next Henderson coach, after this one?"  With the uproar that is currently going on, and with the talent Henderson currently has in the program, the hire this time will be very short-lived I'm afraid.  Henderson will have a few athletes coming back, but a below average offensive line and qb, to go along with a brand new staff, I have a feeling next season may be worse than this one was.  Let's just say the new hire goes 2-8 or 1-9 over the next 2 years, which is very possible, what happens next?  Who gets the blame?  The school board?  Supt?  Head coach?  AD?  People that say Castles is not a very good Xs and Os guy are about to find out that there are a lack of athletic genes connected to XX and XY chromosomes in Henderson at the moment!

4 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

I think we need to start a new thread that reads, "Who will be the next Henderson coach, after this one?"  With the uproar that is currently going on, and with the talent Henderson currently has in the program, the hire this time will be very short-lived I'm afraid.  Henderson will have a few athletes coming back, but a below average offensive line and qb, to go along with a brand new staff, I have a feeling next season may be worse than this one was.  Let's just say the new hire goes 2-8 or 1-9 over the next 2 years, which is very possible, what happens next?  Who gets the blame?  The school board?  Supt?  Head coach?  AD?  People that say Castles is not a very good Xs and Os guy are about to find out that there are a lack of athletic genes connected to XX and XY chromosomes in Henderson at the moment!

Exactly 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:07 PM, LionAlum88 said:

This will be the last post that I make on this topic.  Obviously it is disappointing the way things have turned out for Castles and the coaching staff, as there has been much uproar throughout the community.  If you read the kltv, ketk, and several other articles it paints a completely different picture of Castles than the Henderson Daily News article.  The Henderson Daily News article mentions ALL of his accomplishments at HHS.  As far as the next coach, I would hope that a PROVEN winner is hired, otherwise this community and the anger that has been displayed after this may affect folks at the top.  People that want to compare this job to Carthage, which seems to be the norm here, live in an alternate reality than everyone else.  Maybe some Carthage historians can help me here, but I believe Castles is 1 of very coaches anywhere that has beaten Surratt more than once.  Good luck to Coach Castles, and thank you for being a great leader for our kids!

Hmmm^^

On 4/7/2021 at 5:02 PM, LionTed93 said:

Same (actually less) talent from the previous year, that didn’t make it out of the first round. Gotcha.

Several of them played AAU ball (and other leagues) since they were kids. Makes a ton of difference.

9 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Hmmm^^

That was the original plan, I actually suggested a different topic, but you seem to keep thinking that Henderson has had 0 coaching the past 8 years.  If you have been to the same Henderson games as Ithe past couple of years, I have a serious question for you.  I will use Carthage since they are the comparison everyone likes to use.  Hypothetically speaking, if Castles and Surratt swapped places this past year, and each of the schools had the same athletes, would Carthage still have won it all?  Would Henderson have won more games?  I would be willing to bet Carthage still would've won it all, and I highly doubt Surratt would have won more games at Henderson.  Carthage basically has an East Texas All Star team, and kudos to them, but when you dont have the athletes like that it does not matter if Saban is coaching, the outcome will be the same.

• Like 1

Comparing him to Surratt has made my day:rofl:

On 4/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, LionAlum88 said:

That was the original plan, I actually suggested a different topic, but you seem to keep thinking that Henderson has had 0 coaching the past 8 years.  If you have been to the same Henderson games as Ithe past couple of years, I have a serious question for you.  I will use Carthage since they are the comparison everyone likes to use.  Hypothetically speaking, if Castles and Surratt swapped places this past year, and each of the schools had the same athletes, would Carthage still have won it all?  Would Henderson have won more games?  I would be willing to bet Carthage still would've won it all, and I highly doubt Surratt would have won more games at Henderson.  Carthage basically has an East Texas All Star team, and kudos to them, but when you dont have the athletes like that it does not matter if Saban is coaching, the outcome will be the same.

Go back and ask the 2016 team. Just one example.

• LOL! 1

On 4/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Go back and ask the 2016 team. Just one example.

Out of the 8 years Castles has been in Henderson, the only years Henderson had better athletes than Carthage was in 2014 and 2016.  Out of those years, Castles was 2-1 against Surratt.  I was implying that some people that are disappointed in Castles and wanted him out, are comparing him to a program that is having the best run in Texas High School football history.  Any program across the state that making that comparison is simply making a fool out of themselves.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:41 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Comparing him to Surratt has made my day:rofl:

I was not comparing Castles to Surratt.  I was comparing the athletes they have in Carthage currently to the athletes that Henderson currently has.

We will get a good glimpse at how bad Castles has run the Henderson program into the ground over the next few years. You can’t blame the new coach for this. He has inherited a mess. And I will say this again...Henderson usually has just as good as athletes as Carthage, if not better. Would love to see what Surratt could have done at Henderson the last 10 years. I back what the admin is doing 100%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, LionAlum88 said:

Out of the 8 years Castles has been in Henderson, the only years Henderson had better athletes than Carthage was in 2014 and 2016.  Out of those years, Castles was 2-1 against Surratt.  I was implying that some people that are disappointed in Castles and wanted him out, are comparing him to a program that is having the best run in Texas High School football history.  Any program across the state that making that comparison is simply making a fool out of themselves.

When are you guys gonna realize that this wasn't just about football. I live in Longview and I (and a ton of other people) knew last year he was treading very rough waters because of the AD duties. I'm super curious how this is a surprise to anyone? 

Anyways it's a done deal and I wish my alum nothing but the best moving forward!

• Like 1

I find it interesting that neither of you answered my question.  If I recall, Henderson had the worst team it has had in 15 years or more this year, and if not for a lineman downfield call late in the game, a man that has ran the program into the ground had your Buckeyes beat!  Everyone but sportsfanatic seems to want the best for the Henderson program.  

• Thumbs Down 1

Does anyone remember when Henderson hired Tom Kimbrough, the Plano HC back in the 1980s? He stayed, what, a few weeks and realized it was NOT a good move and left, didnt even make it to end of Spring semester. So this isn’t the first time Henderson has shocked the landscape. Was the athletic culture that bad to where you blow all those sports up with multiple HC changes? I have been around a looooong time and I have never seen that many HCs leave at the same time after AD was reassigned. At least not that fast. As I said earlier, 62-33 in 8 years? One bad year and goodbye? 

54 minutes ago, Buckeyenation86 said:

We will get a good glimpse at how bad Castles has run the Henderson program into the ground over the next few years. You can’t blame the new coach for this. He has inherited a mess. And I will say this again...Henderson usually has just as good as athletes as Carthage, if not better. Would love to see what Surratt could have done at Henderson the last 10 years. I back what the admin is doing 100%

How about just for fun we keep this thread open for the next 5 years.  Coach Castles will land somewhere and I’m willing to bet, eat crow or whatever that he wins twice the games that Henderson does in the next 5 years.  

Also, Carthage went 6-6 the year after their 5th State Championship.  What happened?  Surratt forgot how to coach?  Why didn’t they run him out of town on a rail?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LionAlum88 said:

With Castles calling the defense instead of Darren Preston, and no Surratt running the offense, the Gilmer game would have been a tossup. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Henderson hires Othell Robinson